DVDVR Message Board

[Remedial Wrestling] Dustin Rhodes

Matt D

Sorry for the delay. Summer's been busy. It still is.

So, Dustin in 1991 WCW. Part of the problem is that there's so much to see and so much of it is relatively hard to find. That said, I love 91 WCW and we're going to get in the weeds here. I foresee us getting in the weeds here, and then again with the Dangerous Alliance and then again with the Studd Stable Feud in 94. 

For instance, here's something that never really came to anything but is pretty cool. They set up a number of promos where Hansen called out Dustin and at least one (here) where Dustin responded but I don't see any sign that it ever led to a match, even on a house show, and that's with Hansen staying around for months after this.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4m42qy 

(14 minute mark). That's just WCW for you. Unlike WWF which was pretty well regimented, they threw so many things out there.

Dustin was hyped up in January, started in February. There's a WCWSN match vs Rip Rogers on 2/16 that I can't find. 

There's a tag with the Young Pistols vs Dutch  (who he wrestled a lot on house shows early on) and the State Patrol which was one of his first non-squash matches on TV:

His first big feud was with the York Foundation. For those not familiar, Mike "IRS" Rotunda was repackaged at the end of 1990 with the Michael Wallstreet gimmick, with make-up woman Terri Boatright packaged as his secretary. It got surprising media attention including a USA Today article. Just a right place, right time thing, except for it wasn't for WCW because he jumped almost immediately to the WWF. They repackaged his opponent at the time, babyface Terry Taylor into the heel computerized man of the 90s, Terrence Taylor, and put York (with the massive portable computer) in charge of things. Early on Larry Zbyszko was an ally. Mr. Hughes would soon be the bodyguard until he was siphoned off to Luger's camp after Great American Bash. In time, Ricky Morton and Tommy Rich turned on the idea that these good ol' boys would sell out. It's one of the most fun bits of 1991 WCW with lots of good tags and six-man matches. 

Not everything is online, but we have the match with Larry (4/13):

The tag that set up with Morton/Dustin vs Larry/Taylor (4/20):

Here's Dustin winning a squash match (start at around 33:30), York offering his a contract and.. well, I guess they were already dating but.. (At around this time they also ran a promo with her inviting Dustin back to the hotel room to discuss more, and shortly after this, Taylor attacking him post-match in a suit). Also Dustin got involved in their business in singles matches Taylor had with other babyfaces. Just general interaction all around to set up the "Computer match" vs Taylor at Superbrawl.

The match is here at the 36(or so) minute mark:

https://watch.wwe.com/episode/Superbrawl-1-9389

The feud would continue with various tags but we'll get to that next time. I'd like to go through these in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Now this is bringing back some memories. We only got WCW Pro in the UK, shown at like 2am on a Friday morning for some reason just as wrestling was undergoing a bit of a boom here (we eventually got WCW Worldwide around 92/93 shown on a Saturday afternoon)

Dustin being offered a contract to join the York Foundation was one of the first angles I remember (along with legit being in awe at the size of El Gigante). He was always featured pretty heavily on the show so he quickly became one of my favourites and looking back his ascent was really smartly handled. This was also the time Steve Austin was beginning his run as TV champ I think.

22 hours ago, Matt D said:

It got surprising media attention including a USA Today article

Why did Michael Wallstreet get this kind of media attention? Never heard this story

Edited by CreativeControl

Dustin/Pistols vs Dutch/State Patrol:

This was a fun TV match, where the State Patrol and Dutch were definitely JTTS. They stayed in it and were always a threat but they only controlled for a minute or so out of ten. They were there to feed and make the babyfaces work for it and they did their jobs admirably. Dustin interacted with his partners well, played to the crowd well. He got trapped in the corner and fought his way out a couple of times, which is a good way to get a crowd behind you. He had a sort of swagger which was missing from his previous appearances. I'm not sure if that was being a little older or if it was having the Pistols for partners. The snap bulldog after a back body drop set up looked great. I think he was still sort of working out how to work his size as a vulnerability against a smaller opponent (and many were smaller) but in general, this was a good early WCW showing.

Are all of you familiar with the State Patrol? Great enhancement team for years. Have all of you seen the match we posted with them and the Can-Am Express from Japan where they looked like worldbeaters? That match and my notes for this one below:

Notes:

I immediately love the team of Dutch and The State Patrol.

Big Daddy Dink gives an insert promo like he was still managing the House of Humperdink.
-Dustin gives high fives to the Pistols and calls to the crowd.
-Anyway, Wright starts with Dustin. He has a nice little elbow in the corner Dustin ducks a clothesline, which is tough due to his size. He hits a dropkick like it was nothing and armdrags. Not as clean as it could be but quick at least. 
-Wright pushes Dustin back to the ropes. Goes up and over, and hits a flying clothesline. I'm not sure if Dustin's size made full sense there.
-Anyway, Steve and Wright have a nice little exchange and hit a double clothesline. 
-Dustin's working the apron well. Fans are clapping. Good rope running ends with a Steve cross body and armdrag. This has a good pace. Heyman's just being arch annoying on commentary.
-Tracey and BLP in. Dutch is working the crowd on the apron. Tracey's calling out to the Freebirds.
-Tracey skins the cat and rolls up BLP. Ducks and BLP bumps to the floor. Boom boom boom. 
-Jim brings up the braves and Paul E makes fun of them. Jim has no retort. 
-Tag to Dustin. Fireman's carry. Staying on the arm. Moving a bit too fast. Moves back into the heel corner. Fights out. Dutch comes in and he starts working every single person in the crowd, plus Dustin, plus Tracey. Lock up, Dutch immediately clubbers and Dustin hits a great runnin knee and a dropkick. Dutch calls for time out.
-Dustin takes the arm. Goes to the corner. Tags Tracey who dives in with a kick to the arm. We need some heat here maybe. They've done so much in so little time.
-Tracey ducks CL but Dutch catches him off crossbody with falling backbreaker. Misses an elbow drop and they start on the leg. 
-Steve in. Dutch tries for he tag and keeps getting pulled. 
"My uncle moisha the peeping tom." - Paul E
Dustin ends up fighting all three guys. Then Wright ducks a double CL and Dustin with a flying clothesline. He's got a swagger that he really didn't before. 
-Tag, and Tracey right behind with a roll up. 
-Hey, it's heat time! Triple team in corner. Wright controls the arm. Crosscross, but BLP trips Tracey. 
-Great short clothesline by Dutch. They're talking about the hotline. Wright going for Pile driver. Drps down, makes a not so hot tag. Steve powerslam. BLP breaks up. Dustin gin.
-Running around swinging big. Everyone in. 
Ok, the bulldog looked really good there. He set it up with a back body drop. It wasn't quite the RKO/Diamond cutter, but he could hit it from a lot of different angles and this is the first we've seen of that. I'm impressed they had Nintendo as a sponsor actually.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1