DVDVR Message Board

NJPW things before G1 Climax 2019 starts

Archibald

Oooh, cool.  I like Archer being in.

Re: ROH.  There's never really been a significant ROH presence in the G1, so I wouldn't be surprised that there isn't one this year.  In fact, the only ROH-contracted guy I can think of from recent years is Hangman in 2018.  I think the issue is that it's a long tourney, and ROH needs their top guys at home for their own shows.  Hangman worked out because they weren't pushing him at that point (oops), so they could spare him and NJPW was already invested in him as a prospect.  I can't think of anybody that fits that description this year.

Like, I think NJPW would like to work with Cobb more, but ROH needs Cobb.

4 hours ago, Custos said:

It’s funny how no one on the ROH roster is even being considered in any of the chatter about possible entrants. Does that speak to the dearth of heavyweight talent in ROH or the embarrassment of riches among the New Japan mainstays and surprises already announced?

If I were in a flippant mood, I would ask what the hell are NJPW getting out of this partnership right now, well except for the occasional and welcome Villain Enterprises appearances and the awesome Bandido in BOSJ?

The one guy worth something to NJPW (Cobb) has already been confirmed for Dallas- I'm assuming he's in the G1 for that reason.  I can't imagine bringing in Cobb just for a random undercard tag.

Rush I'm counting as CMLL not ROH.

Edited by alstein

Has Rush improved since being in ROH, or is he still working that same lackadaisical match he worked back in his last G1 appearance, and in his own home promotion CMLL? Because if he is, then I’d rather Cavernario. He at least he shows up to work not only in CMLL, but also internationally.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

His G1 was what, 7 years ago when he was 23-24 years old? He has improved a lot since then. I'm not sure if he improved further in RoH, but he does show up there and doesn't do weird "I don't give a fuck" matches that he does in CMLL, but in his defence most of the top CMLL stars sometimes just mail it in since they have lots of matches every week.

22 hours ago, Infinit said:

Who?

Australian wrestler who lives in the UK. Him and Kyle Fletcher are the current Revolution Pro tag teams champions (well, and the current PROGRESS tag team champions and the currect wXw tag team champions and the current ATTACK! tag team champions). Kyle Fletcher would be great, too, but Id especially love to see Davis.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, The Z said:

Australian wrestler who lives in the UK. Him and Kyle Fletcher are the current Revolution Pro tag teams champions (well, and the current PROGRESS tag team champions and the currect wXw tag team champions and the current ATTACK! tag team champions). Kyle Fletcher would be great, too, but Id especially love to see Davis.

Speaking of, I'd like to see how Aussie Open fare in the World Tag League next year too, but that's a way's off at this point.

8 hours ago, The Z said:

Interestingly enough, this just happened an hour or so ago:

While it may not be completely new blood, but PCO & Brody, perhaps? Yes, they were both in the MSG four way match, but they've never had a two on two match.

KENTA spoke with Chris Charlton for ten minutes. Things of note:

--He won't confirm any plans with New Japan or anywhere else past the G1. But he's with New Japan now because it has a global platform, and he can show the world KENTA, rather than Hideo Itami.

--Nothing about NOAH specifically.

--He does want to wrestle Okada at some point, mostly just because he's the champion right now. Naito, also.

--He wants to kick Moxley's ass, to show that while he was "stupid Hideo Itami" and Dean Ambrose was at the top of WWE, there's no gap between them.

--They weren't just trying to milk the audience; Shibata had to point for so long because he couldn't find the entrance.

This is fun:

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I want one of those mini EVIL scythe’s that I just saw live on today’s Kizuna Road show.

Edit: Oh wow, I think Ibushi broke Naito’s nose.

Edit: After match it looks like he’s either missing a tooth, or busted lip.

....And EVIL leaves Naito hanging on the LIJ fist bump. About fucking time they pulled the trigger on that. They’ve been teasing this since last year.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

A Block
Kazuchika Okada
Zack Sabre Jr.
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Kota Ibushi
EVIL
SANADA
Bad Luck Fale
Lance Archer
Will Ospreay
KENTA

B Block
Tetsuya Naito
Tomohiro Ishii
Juice Robinson
Toru Yano
Hirooki Goto
Jay White
Jeff Cobb
Shingo Takagi
Taichi
Jon Moxley

Jeff Cobb is the only one here who didn’t formally announce his participation of the outsiders.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

That pop for Taichi.

Suzuki confirmed dad status. I guess they are going to work towards Suzuki vs Liger for Dome night 1 main event career vs career match?

Who is going to eat Ls in A block? Fale, Archer and... Ospreay?

B block is more balanced in a sense that I can see Ishii, Juice, Yano, Goto, Cobb and Taichi doing 4-5 or lower.

10 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Who is going to eat Ls in A block? Fale, Archer and... Ospreay?

I hope Tana is one of them. He showed up big for his match with Jay White. I can’t see him doing it for 9 G1 matches this year. Time to hang up the G1 boots for him.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, Archibald said:

They are not going to downgrade him from G1 winner to pin eater in one year. He is probably going to finish in top 4 when all is said and done.

Oh I know. I’m just getting flashbacks to when they kept booking Chono strong in G1 even when it looked way past the point of believability.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Last year the quality of matches leaned heavily on one block, I remember skipping a lot of B(?) Block but this year both blocks are pretty stacked. 

Edit; for some reason Kenta V Sanada has me hyped! 

Edited by peterien

I’m actually surprised Moxley, and Okada aren’t in the same block. I was expecting New Japan to book them as the main event for Dallas, with Moxley going over for the token “IWGP champion loses on the first night” result.

Edit: OH FUCK, better watch out! Archer is using the Von Erich Claw now! Also funny part of today’s semi-main event, Suzuki seems pissed that he wasn’t in the G1, and it looked like he was jealous of his underlings(Archer, and ZSJ).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 6/10/2019 at 1:35 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The new entrants need to learn. Inject Mox vs Yano directly into my veins. 

INTO. MY. VEINS.

• Like 2

Yano, Ishii, Shingo, White, Naito, Robinson sequel. Mox has some potentially fantastic and varied match-ups.

And A Block is ridiculously strong...and then you have Fale to take it to the next level.

• Like 1

Suzuki is booked against Okada for the rest of the tour. Are they going to do "champ is injured" for G1? Because it looked like Suzuki was about to snap and cripple Okada for good.

Main event is also worth watching. Likely this is going to be WK Jr. tag team match as well. It took longer than probably anyone wanted, but I think that Sho and Yoh are probably finally where they should be.

25 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Suzuki is booked against Okada for the rest of the tour. Are they going to do "champ is injured" for G1? Because it looked like Suzuki was about to snap and cripple Okada for good.

Main event is also worth watching. Likely this is going to be WK Jr. tag team match as well. It took longer than probably anyone wanted, but I think that Sho and Yoh are probably finally where they should be.

Sho's music was playing at the end instead of R3K's-  I thought when Sho was pulled off the apron tonight it was him turning on Yoh.

Also some lady stuffed a bill down YOH's pants.