DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Cautious optimism is pretty fair. On one hand we have one of the best idea guys in the business who just requires someone standing behind him ready to hit him in the head with a baseball bat before he gets too self-indulgent . On the other hand we have a man without an original thought in his head who at least is smart enough to steal from the best, I imagine Bischoff is watching NJPW pretty much 24/7 now. I'm sure that if he called Gedo and asked nicely for the match outlines of the last few months Gedo would be a good dude and send them to him. Of course, there's the little problem of Bischoff not being able to read Japanese...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wasn't this one more of a Stephanie thing? 

That's revisionist history. Steph heard him freestyling and decided to capitalise by having him dress up as Vanilla Ice on the Halloween Smackdown. Heyman was the guy to actually make him the Dr of Thuganomics.

• Like 1

Things Heyman I believe will do...

1. Reset, and rebuild Baron Corbin. 

2. Set up a more compatible performer for Seth Rollins.

3. Get Shane away from Roman.

4. Fix the tag division(He’s got a year to convince the Revival* to re-sign), and put some main eventers in it.

*That’s the thing about this. Before this happened I think a lot of underutilized guys like Cedric, Buddy, EC3, and Gable probably were staring at their options in the future, but this might change their outlook when Heyman gets a chance at directing traffic. Hell, he might be able to get something out of the useless guys like Jinder, and Mojo.

3 hours is nothing to sneeze at. Nobody has been able to get it to work, and I don’t believe Heyman will either. The only way I see it working at least initially, is if Heyman does the bleeding into each other style that he did in ECW, in the first hour. Remember there were 1 hour ECW episodes that sped on by real fast because 3 matches were connected by run-ins, promos, and rivalries. RAW’s opening 20 minute promos that bleed into an impromptu match were in fact inspired by that. But maybe the guy who innovated that can do it better. I mean I’ve seen TV shows, and movie sequels where the show runner/director is fired, quit, or left for a another project and they hired a new one who never changed the format, and it was never as good as the originals take on that same style of material.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Why is Bischoff getting all the flack for the TNA run when he was mainly there to produce the TV and shmooze with the suits? Hogan was the one booking the show wasn't he?

You seem unfamiliar with the credit/blame system.

Giving out credit? Great, just make sure it does not go to Eric Bischoff. Giving out blame? Please try as hard as you can not to pin it on anyone other than Eric Bischoff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

You seem unfamiliar with the credit/blame system.

Giving out credit? Great, just make sure it does not go to Eric Bischoff. Giving out blame? Please try as hard as you can not to pin it on anyone other than Eric Bischoff.

I don’t know why you want to give so much credit to someone who only batted over .300 for one year out of 30? That’s not the kind of person I’d want batting clean-up for my team. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

One point I want to make sure is absolutely clear so even if it was said already I am repeating it

The two will start their new roles imminently. Heyman’s role will be the Executive Director of Raw, while Bischoff will take over Smackdown, with McMahon overseeing both brands. The official changes are set for mid-July. These will be actual decision making characters and not television performers playing the role.

Because I know some of you fuckers will be all I THOUGHT HEYMAN WAS GOING TO CHANGE EVERYTHING!!!! after RAW sucks on Monday

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Non-Bischoff/Heyman WWE notes from the WON

Regarding Lio Rush, who has disappeared, the response on the creative end is that nobody talks about him and he’s not someone being used. He is still under contract but he has also removed all WWE mentions from his social media and has put up an address for taking dates

Also - they will be moving the date of the November Saudi show (due to it conflicting with Smackdown on FOX)

Also Also - Brock's contract is up in either May or June 2020

People in this thread: "Bischoff had one good idea and it wasn't even his, why bring him back?"

Same people in the AEW thread: "OMG, they should totally use the Nitro style and format and..."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, OSJ said:

Cautious optimism is pretty fair. On one hand we have one of the best idea guys in the business who just requires someone standing behind him ready to hit him in the head with a baseball bat before he gets too self-indulgent . 

Here's something to think about:  Bischoff never had anyone to rein him in when he ran WCW and TNA. Both companies were run by morons who gave him autonomy. He won't have that on Smackdown. Who knows, maybe working in a system where he'll have someone watching over him and editing his worst impulses is what he needs?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Raziel said:

People in this thread: "Bischoff had one good idea and it wasn't even his, why bring him back?"

Same people in the AEW thread: "OMG, they should totally use the Nitro style and format and..."

Bischoff isn’t Kevin Sullivan, and he has no idea how 95-97 was created, and if he did, Vince won’t let him. I think AEW has a better chance at recreating it with its five headed monster of a creative staff. Vince has a two headed monster now, but he has it following his commands. If he wants a wedding, he’ll get a wedding. If he wants poop on someone, they’ll give him the poop. If Bischoff wants to make me giggle by having AOP, and Viking Raiders wrestle a match where they recklessly throw each other around like they were The Steiners Vs Mongo & Benoit, he won’t be allowed to. Regardless that wasn’t him that allowed matches like that to happen. That was the extremely unstructured WCW in-ring style that allowed something like that. I have a feeling Vince will give Heyman more leeway since they tend to have similar taste. Bischoff is an unknown to Vince, who he’s willing to give him a shot to create headlines. But I don’t believe he fully understands what he’s done by him making the head of Smackdown. Hell I don’t think a he fully understands what made WCW work. He just remembered it beat him once in the ratings.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If he wants a wedding, he’ll get a wedding. If he wants poop on someone, they’ll give him the poop.

A Coronation rather than a Wedding, but still... why not both?

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Also Also - Brock's contract is up in either May or June 2020

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Regarding Lio Rush, who has disappeared, the response on the creative end is that nobody talks about him and he’s not someone being used. He is still under contract but he has also removed all WWE mentions from his social media and has put up an address for taking dates

This really sucks.  Not to excuse the shit he did but unfortunately his WWE run was a bust.  I still remember his last night MCW how excited him and his family were that he made it.  Fast forward to this and I don't know where he goes from here.  I'm sure MCW will take him back and likely CZW.  But while he may work in AEW I just don't know if I see him going there.  He may just be better off doing indies for awhile to restore self confidence and have the freedom he had.  But at least he can say he was in WWE and even got in their video game.