DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Reflecting on wrestling wars of the past...

Watts used to rant about the "New York" wrestling on his TV show.

Bischoff gave away pre-taped RAW results on Nitro.

Lawler used to claim that Hogan and Flair werent "real world champions" on his TV show.

The Poffos used to challenge Memphis wrestlers to fights and gave away shoot names on their TV show.

And that was all WITHOUT social media to fuel the fire.

Shit's about to get really weird and I am on board for every moment of it. 

• Like 6

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In comparison, Heyman is getting a free pass. 

He should... Heyman has actually worked with creative in the past, and today. Bischoff, for all the talk, has never held a position of power within the WWE. He’s only been a character. Vince is eager to work with the man who was his chief rival in the 90’s. ButI don’t believe that means he’s compatible with Vince, or Paul, or anybody in creative really. Once Bischoff fuck’s up just a little bit, the sharks will smell the blood in the water.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He should... Heyman has actually worked with creative in the past, and today. Bischoff, for all the talk, has never held a position of power within the WWE. He’s only been a character. Vince is eager to work with the man who was his chief rival in the 90’s. ButI don’t believe that means he’s compatible with Vince, or Paul, or anybody in creative really. Once Bischoff fuck’s up just a little bit, the sharks will smell the blood in the water.

The benefit of the doubt Heyman's being given is in that he may still have quality ideas to offer in 2019. And if people enjoyed the Becky-Ronda twitter fight, that's fine. Me personally, I'm not keen on "everything is fake except what I'm telling you now."

As for working within the WWE creative system in the past, I wouldn't call Paul's experience something that makes him "compatible." 

• Like 1

Vince is going to be that parent that is leaving on Vacation, and has left the home to the kids, only to check in every 15 minutes on the Nest. 

Paul: Alright tonight I’m booking Alestier Black Vs. Ali...

Vince: Hey Paul, what are doing? ...HAHA!

Paul: Just booking the show, Vince.

Vince: HAHA... Good! Keep it up! Corbin Vs. Ali! Anything can happen! Okay I’m leaving. talk to you later, bye.

I’m still watching you. You know that right?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

Seriously, I am old enough to remember Stan Stasiak (who was shoved down our throats in Portland as a former World Champ), and I'm having trouble trying to think of a father/son duo that had less talent and was still given a shot on the biggest stage of all.  The apple didn't fall very far from the tree, though at least Shawn was mobile in the ring, whereas his dad was a lumbering oaf with one move.

Stasiak Sr. had very good hairstylings, took a great promo pic and his finisher was over. He did give placeholder heel champs a bad rep otherwise. All else you wrote is true.

- RAF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Not sure about the analogy. This is management, not the talent. How much more often did Lenny Wilkins or Don Nelson get jobs vice an NBA coach being called up from NCAA or (now) the G League? It’s more the norm than the exception IMO.

Valid point,  but in baseball generally your managers come up from your minor leagues. In other sports, how often do the big name splashy coach retreads not end up working out? Look at Gruden in Oakland.

I guess my main issue is that this company has guys like Gabe Sapolsky and the rest of Hunter’s NXT team down in Florid and the PROGRESS guys running NXT UK and none of them get tapped over two big names but retread hires.

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

One of the episodes of 83 Weeks has Eric listing who he'd want on his booking team. 

The one name he mentioned that took ebeeyome by surprise was Disco Inferno... isnt he now apart of creative?

The sad thing is, Disco and Russo would both fit the same role. You need one guy who's just quick enough to come up with stupid idea after stupid idea, then give them to the guys you don't care about and see if something works.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So who will the top babyface on Smackdown be?  I'm a little out of touch...which current roster member lives closest to Bischoff and may be down for "the lifestyle?" 

Baron Corbin. Allegedly Vince is pushing him because women like him, and Baron Corbin looks and dresses like that one guy you knew who was way, way, way too into the swing revival in the 1990s. 

...that was what the lifestyle was, right? Bischoff and DDP just enjoyed "Swingers" enough they tried to convince themselves the Cherry Poppin' Daddies were actually good?

Valid point,  but in baseball generally your managers come up from your minor leagues. In other sports, how often do the big name splashy coach retreads not end up working out? Look at Gruden in Oakland.

I guess my main issue is that this company has guys like Gabe Sapolsky and the rest of Hunter’s NXT team down in Florid and the PROGRESS guys running NXT UK and none of them get tapped over two big names but retread hires.

Even then, that seems to be a problem with this hire.

WWE hires Dana Warrior earlier: "...she's not a wrestling person and a writer! Give us someone we know has talent!"

WWE hires Bruce Prichard: "He's never been successful as anything but a yes man! Give us someone who can be successful!"

WWE hires Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman...and now the complaints seem to be officially boiling to "just give ME, PERSONALLY, the book and all power!"

Edited by SorceressKnight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of my immutable wrestling conclusions is that Eric Bischoff was, is and always will be shite. The man is a carbunkle on the biz. He ain't no carny because his stream of lies make no one any money. Both his alleged creativity and his stillborn business acumen have hurt the wrestling business. Oy vey, I am not even looking forward to the trainwreck...

- RAF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ace said:

So who'll be in the new nWo knock-off stable?

"If I had to pick three people today, I'd probably start off with Dolph Ziggler. I think he's one of the most underrated talents out there. He was an amateur wrestling champion and he's got great comedic skills. He can be a serious, threatening competitor or a comedic personality, and I think you need that.

For a Kevin Nash-type character, I might go with Roman Reigns if he can brace that heel character. Then you need that third guy. Scott Hall, as amazingly gifted as he is, he played kind of a coward. He hid often times behind Kevin Nash. That role would be harder to fill and I'd have to think more about that one"

31 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even then, that seems to be a problem with this hire.

WWE hires Dana Warrior earlier: "...she's not a wrestling person and a writer! Give us someone we know has talent!"

WWE hires Bruce Prichard: "He's never been successful as anything but a yes man! Give us someone who can be successful!"

WWE hires Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman...and now the complaints seem to be officially boiling to "just give ME, PERSONALLY, the book and all power!"

And people think I have it out for wrestling fans! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Count me in as one of the people who's actually excited to see what will happen here. I'm usually easy going with my wrestling, but even I've found WWE to be stale and tiresome for the past few months. I'm hoping this shakes things up, and I'm not sure why certain people automatically dismiss WWE out of hand and yet are all in when other companies announce things. At least let things play out before making judgements.

As to why lower profile bookers weren't hired, would that not just be a matter of Bischoff and Heyman having vast amounts of experience in dealing with big stars and their egos, TV execs, big budgets, monthly PPVs, WWE execs and Vince?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

As to why lower profile bookers weren't hired, would that not just be a matter of Bischoff and Heyman having vast amounts of experience in dealing with big stars and their egos, TV execs, big budgets, monthly PPVs, WWE execs and Vince?

I don’t think that’s why he went with those two. These are attention grabbers to catch the eye of a lapsed fan base, and to reassure investors with a quick buzz. A buzz that will probably have a short lifespan. I mean it’s Vince’s two biggest rivals working for Vince in “Top” roles. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Well, Heyman made the most of what he had in ECW and booked the Smackdown Six era, which is pretty universally loved around here.

Bischoff's best idea came from the NJPW/UWFi invasion angle, but inferring WWF guys were invading WCW with no real folllow up in place, and sticking us with nWo Hollywood and the Wolfpack, then re-uniting the nWo. His big plan for TNA? Another invasion angle.

"Now Mr. Gopher, Mr. 90s Wiz Kid, the great success story of '96. Former Coffee Gopher for Verne Gagne is now leading the show in the big time. You are a piece of fucking shit!"

Sure, it was a work, but Pillman fucking nailed it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Isn’t it known/suspected that Heyman has long been one of Meltzer’s inside sources whereas Bischoff has had a rather cold and contentious relationship with the Meltz which could also lead to things being treated this way?

• Like 3

Neither guys will have anything to do with the business side.  That's a good thing. Anyway will they override Vinces weird win-loss patterns? And  I hope they make both shows distinct in tone from each other as well.

Eric will not have to deal with Dunn when the Fox era comes around.

• Like 1