DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Sounds like Vince is gearing up for football and needs the only two guys who competed with him to handle the reigns. 

I kinda like this idea. The shows are suck ass anyway. If the shows remain the same I can continue to not pay much attention. If Bischoff and Heyman go crazy and book some madness, it might actually pull me back. 

They may not be the freshest names, but I don't think Vince will hire Mike Quackenbush so I'll take what I can get.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Sounds like Vince is gearing up for football and needs the only two guys who competed with him to handle the reigns. 

I kinda like this idea. The shows are suck ass anyway. If the shows remain the same I can continue to not pay much attention. If Bischoff and Heyman go crazy and book some madness, it might actually pull me back. 

They may not be the freshest names, but I don't think Vince will hire Mike Quackenbush so I'll take what I can get.

Hiring Quack to run RAW and Super Dragon to run SDL would actually get me watching again.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

That's the thing I question a great deal. Are Heyman and Bischoff the right people to be heading a modern wrestling product? I mean Heyman is great in his advocate role, but that's different than having the say on all creative matters. Bischoff really gets a lot of mileage out of a couple of very good ideas but has a track record of batting way below the Mendoza line.

Just now, Chaos said:

That's the thing I question a great deal. Are Heyman and Bischoff the right people to be heading a modern wrestling product? I mean Heyman is great in his advocate role, but that's different than having the say on all creative matters. Bischoff really gets a lot of mileage out of a couple of very good ideas but has a track record of batting way below the Mendoza line.

I don't remember ECW booking well enough to comment, but the year of Ohio Valley Wrestling Heyman booked (2005-06) is one of my favorite things in wrestling evar.  He also booked SD right after that, didn't he.

Granted, that was 10+ years ago.  I kinda wonder if the business hasn't passed him by.

Less sure about Bischoff.  He didn't really have a second act in him as a wrestling booker/promoter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

His love for Alabama Hot Pockets cost him his marriage.

DO NOT LOOK UP WHAT THAT MEANS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IF YOU DO IT'S ON YOU NOT ME

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 2

Heyman on RAW...

Brock vs Cesaro would be a damn fun series.

Samoa Joe up top? Legitimate. 

No Way Jose as Chilly Willy 2020?

Bischoff on Smack!down 

... I can't think of a thing he'd do. 

Who gets the Cruiserweights?

Edited by Wyld Samurai

1 minute ago, Doc Townsend said:

I don't remember ECW booking well enough to comment, but the year of Ohio Valley Wrestling Heyman booked (2005-06) is one of my favorite things in wrestling evar.  He also booked SD right after that, didn't he.

Granted, that was 10+ years ago.  I kinda wonder if the business hasn't passed him by.

Less sure about Bischoff.  He didn't really have a second act in him as a wrestling booker/promoter.

I dunno, Gagne always said that he could make a damn fine cup of coffee.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doc Townsend said:

Well, Heyman is only 4 years older than Hunter and 3 years older than Gedo, who are widely regarded as the better current wrestling show runners. I think risk of being out of touch is minimal? I dunno.

It's hard not to be skeptical (understandably so) as the previous commenters.  We've seen Heyman fall prey to the Titan Sports structure before.  I have to believe or hope Heyman has some sort of contract that is giving him the HHHNXT autonomy that has been suggested by PWInsider(?).  I have total confidence in a Paul Heyman led promotion if his creative control is strictly in place, but again who knows if that's the case.  This has me interested enough to watch my first Raw in about 15 years (tho, 3 hours no matter who is charge is far too much).    

Bischoff on the other hand?  He had a year and a half to two year hit and miss run in 1997 with a once in a lifetime angle (nWo) and a booker at the height of his powers (the Taskmaster).  Fast forward to his TNA Run, which I shouldn't speak too much to, I watched next to nothing of it, but from what I've read and the clips I've seen - I don't see Eric Bischoff v.2019 creating a compelling product.  That said, from what I'm reading about WWE TV (not watching at all), this could be at the very least an improvement.  Not sure I'll be tuning into my first Smackdown in 15 years thanks to Ear-ic (as Gene always pronounced it) Bischoff.   

Edited by HarryArchieGus

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Bischoff on the other hand?  He had a year and a half to two year hit and miss run in 1997 with a once in a lifetime angle (nWo) and a booker at the height of his powers (the Taskmaster).  Fast forward to his TNA Run, which I shouldn't speak too much too, I watched next to nothing of it, but from what I've read and the clips I've seen - I don't see Eric Bischoff v.2019 creating a compelling product.  

Let's not jump to conclusions about what a Bischoff-run product will or won't look like. He certainly isn't going to get a third crack at spending 18 months building to Sting-Hogan. So that will be a big change for him. 

• Like 1

Disco Inferno was jobbing to Tessa Blanchard on Impact last month. Although he did win the Women's Battle Royal before that.

• Like 1

I've wondered if you could take the current Raw and SmackDown episodes and re-cut them to be something that flowed better, was easier to watch, was more engaging, etc.

If Eric can do anything it's that at a bare minimum he could bring the philosophy of booking TV as a three-act structure where everything leads to something else. Take whatever the home and road creative teams put together today, re-work those puzzle pieces so they all fit better, and just start there. That right there is probably an improvement.

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Let's not jump to conclusions about what a Bischoff-run product will or won't look like. He certainly isn't going to get a third crack at spending 18 months building to Sting-Hogan. So that will be a big change for him. 

hqdefault.jpg

“Everybody is doubting the Ziggles.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Thought experiment: if differentiation is the goal, which two bookers, historically, could you get that would run the most diametrically opposed stylistically, yet high quality, shows?

Bill Watts and Gedo? 

Verne Gagne and Bill Watts.