DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

23 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

If he had a choice in the matter, there's something deeply poetic about Triple H opting to stay in NXT, rather than be promoted to one of these main roster roles.

I don’t think Vince will ever put Triple H in-charge of the main program under his watch. Vince is looking forward to his fighting over the company, and fortune when he’s dead.

This is a headline grabber, and a way to see if the lapsed fans who are gravitating to AEW, can gravitate over to the WWE with these names partially in charge of creative.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Meh, I think it was one of the better recent stables and attempted to tap into the zeitgeist but the ultimate payoff sucked.

Quite so. I could never really see why people shat on that angle. It was pretty well executed, and they didn't really main-event until the final Bully reveal. They took a bunch of guys that meant nothing to nobody, except Bully Ray, and made something out of them.

It blowing up pdq because Bully's a complete dick wasn't that satisfying, but it was logical enough.

It was clearly better than what followed ffs.

27 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

If he had a choice in the matter, there's something deeply poetic about Triple H opting to stay in NXT, rather than be promoted to one of these main roster roles.

Anyway, we've got a Rhodes running a wrestling company on Turner, Heyman and Bischoff booking... I'd be a little worried to drive by a movie theater, and see Toy Story on the marquee.

Toy Story, Godzilla, Child’s Play, Aladdin...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Wow, Paul is still only 53. I figured he was much older.

Yeah. Someone else brought it up, but they looked at how Vince is only 20 years older than HHH and Vince's mom is still alive in her 90s. It's not much of a leap to think that by the time Vince is ready to step down, HHH will be too old to take over anyway, which sucks. I really think HHH is the guy to lead the brand into the future, but more and more I don't think he'll get the opportunity.

Nothing Against Paul and Eric, they had their moments (I know how glibb that sounds trust me I recognize both's contributions to the industry) but with what Court is doing in mlw with an hour of TV a week I'd try to get him to come in. I'm sure Court can't running  MLW and all but Vince should be looking for people hip in the business now not hip in the business 20 years ago.

• Like 2

One other thing. I don't think Bischoff at least takes this unless it's a good deal for him. He's got a lot of freedom in life, has new sources of revenue, seems generally happy with his second or third life in wrestling. Obviously they're tossing around money right now, but I don't think he takes a deal that looks like it's doomed to failure after three weeks of him fighting with Vince or one where he's unhappy because he doesn't have some level of autonomy. 

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

One other thing. I don't think Bischoff at least takes this unless it's a good deal for him. He's got a lot of freedom in life, has new sources of revenue, seems generally happy with his second or third life in wrestling. Obviously they're tossing around money right now, but I don't think he takes a deal that looks like it's doomed to failure after three weeks of him fighting with Vince or one where he's unhappy because he doesn't have some level of autonomy. 

Probably more promises than any guarantees on the contract. Also I don’t think Vince ever offered Eric this high of a position in the past, plus money. Heyman is more significant. Dude was offered many opportunities to book promotions, and has always turned them down because the right creative control was never there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

People are missing this: last time I checked WWE Network isn't geoblocked in Florida and South Georgia. Running the show on the network is giving fans in that area an option instead of going to the AEW show. 

And people consider this a serious possibility? You think anyone who's already in the tank for AEW is missing the chance to see Cody/Dustin vs the Bucks live because WWE happen to be airing a third rate indie show at the same time? Especially when it's likely going to be on-demand later?

The pearl clutching over this is out of proportion. 

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Bischoff does sound like he's learned a lot, to be honest. At least in theory. 

Like not to go jogging in North Korea.

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

We're all aware Bischoff didn't actually come up with HLA, right? 

I thought we all knew. Now I'm starting to worry.

32 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Toy Story, Godzilla, Child’s Play, Aladdin...

And Keanu Reeves and Tom Cruise are among our most beloved action stars.

Eric's head isn't as far up his ass as some here are pretending. He tends to catch shit for thinking about things in a way a lot of wrestling people don't. To me, that's a plus. And he does seem to have grown in perspective. How much being back in the game will change that, we'll see.

FWIW, I believe he's said Bully also had a hand in Aces & Eights. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

What if it's his obituary?

I would have to send a note saying that I approved of the event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

...And people thought the Kabuki Warriors name was bad. We might get Eric telling Music to cue up oriental music number 3.

Oh man, Sonny Ono!

No, VKM is still running things, we'll be lucky to not get Nakamura doing choppy-choppy pee-pee.

• Like 3