DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Didn't there used to be a safe way of throwing chairshots so that they looked good but weren't concussion-inducing. I think there was. It became a lost art in the 90s when everyone just started throwing them as stiffly as possible, and the biz went straight from that to not using the chair to the head at all. But the happy medium used to exist, I'm sure.

This is my point exactly.

It's not about no chairshots to the head, but rather that even deathmatch stuff is agreed upon...but there's no benefit to the unprotected chairshot.

It's giving a move more sloppily, and taking a move more dangerously when you don't have to do it...in a move that is not sold as instant death due to how overused the steel chair shot is, so it can't be used as a "HOLY SHIT" hardcore spot...and the average fan won't really know the difference between a worked steel chair shot and an unprotected chair shot, so they won't care about the difference...and the fans hardcore enough to know the difference won't think "this face is badass, he fazed off that unprotected chair shot" or "this heel is evil, he hit an unprotected chair shot", but will react with the complete and utter disgust that leads to "I'm never watching again". 

Let’s be real, though. Even if you don’t swing the chair full force, like Lance or Flair in the above gif, it’d still hurt like a motherfucker. Every time I put a steel chair up at work when I’m done using it, because I’m a man-child and wrestling fan, I faux swing it like a wrestler and that shit ain’t light.

That being said, though - I’m with @Tromatagon

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Speaking of Steve Corino, I totally missed that his son wrestled on 205 Live(once?) this year

Now I feel a little old.

I remember seeing 4 year old Colby pinning Don Montoya in 2001 at a show somewhere in south Jersey.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:48 AM, Eivion said:

Someone beat to that joke earlier. Beyond that I was talking more as a character opposed to real life. It would be like early Alexa Bliss in NXT. Every damn mannerism and speech makes them come across as a heel despite the flashy high flying in their wrestling.

So Johnny different last name every promotion?

He's still good in the ring despite getting up in years, his promo skills have really improved.

Also a really nice guy, and Taya's nice as well.   He is the favorite wrestler of one of my friends, alongside Edge and the Miz.

• RIPPA locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic