DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Ron Fuller tells a story about Ron Wright being at a show in Kentucky in the 1970s and someone in the crowd took a shot at Don Wright in the ring, hitting the mat. 

Wright, standing next to a cop watching this, says "are you gonna do anything about that guy with the gun?"

The cop says, "oh, that's just Jim Bob. He's a great shot. If he had wanted to hit him, he would have." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Nobody who isn't blind and deaf thinks the Lance Storm chair shots are the same as a solid head shot like that.

Pay no attention to any fake news from @AxB you might see below. FAKE NEWS

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

blind and death 

Quoting, so when Brian edits it the original typo will survive.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nobody who isn't blind and deaf thinks the Lance Storm chair shots are the same as a solid head shot like that.

Pay no attention to any fake news from @AxB you might see below. FAKE NEWS

Wow, I didn't know Jeremy Renner was the best archer on the planet because he plays Hawkeye in the movies! 

It's about two separate things: 1) You agree to accept any chairshot as hurting, and 2) You know what to look for in this moment.

Hawkeye is most famous for being a dork who people struggle to take seriously in a super-powered universe, so that’s not a good comparison to strengthen your argument. Plenty of fans see him as an immersion breaker. 

And plenty of casual and non-fans complain that wrestling looks “too fake.” I’m not saying they should be catered to; but pretending they don’t exist—or that anyone with eyes can’t discern the difference between Storm’s pillowfight form and anything else—is to ignore reality in favor of a make believe narrative.

I think death matches are a bad idea that probably should be scaled back significantly.

But I'm also a hypocrite and occasionally enjoy watching one.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The big problem with the unprotected chairshot thing is similar to the Dreamer assassination angle getting nixed- Terry Funk talked Dreamer out of it not because "are you crazy, you're going to get killed", but "someone tried that angle. It didn't get over."

Likewise with the unprotected chairshot: There's a lot of things you can do in wrestling if you cover it with "but the heel BETTER LOSE". 

Unprotected chairshots on the other hand, shouldn't be done not just because of the brutality and concussion issues, but because ultimately, it's too inside baseball to work. 

Make no mistake. The casual wrestling fan does not know the difference between a worked chairshot and a unprotected chairshot. To them, Lance Storm's "I'm combing your hair with this chair" looks as brutal as the chairshot in question to a casual fan, because they suspend their disbelief and think "that chairshot is instant death", and more importantly- the casual fan just doesn't know what the difference is.

The unprotected chairshot will only be noticed by hardcore fans, so it's the ultimate "work the smarks" angle...and even then, it doesn't work, because every time someone tries this, the smarks aren't worked into a shoot  by the angle...they're just disgusted. The reaction is never "he tried giving him a legit concussion and scrambling his brains forever- I want to see this guy get killed for this!", but rather "Fuck everyone involved with that bullshit. Fuck the guy giving it. Fuck the other workers in the back for not telling them not to do it. Fuck the bookers for planning this. Fuck the promotion for doing this. And you know what? Fuck the person who took the shot for being willing to do something that stupid."

My reaction is "fuck telling other people what to do with their bodies."  If a wrestler wants to do the spot, let em do it.  If you're disgusted by it, watch something in your own safety zone and not a show with two death match guys in the main.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Didn't there used to be a safe way of throwing chairshots so that they looked good but weren't concussion-inducing. I think there was. It became a lost art in the 90s when everyone just started throwing them as stiffly as possible, and the biz went straight from that to not using the chair to the head at all. But the happy medium used to exist, I'm sure.

1*FJvpAjQttdJkgav4PImRkQ.gif

• Like 4