DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

ALREADY they're gonna be on TV. Unless Heyman and Bischoff come out and say "Other than my comments here, you will not see me. But know that I am in charge. What you see every (Monday/Tuesday) night is my vision for (Raw/SD!). Enjoy" then I already consider it more of the same bullshit where it's the god damn Muppet Show except it's about trying to run a wrestling show instead of the vaudeville stuff.

That's probably my biggest complaint when I say why I finally quit the main shows after WM. So fucking much of the main roster TV is just a show about putting on a wrestling show. Even going back years and years when things weren't half bad. "Tonight in this very ring..." or "Tag team match, playa" I mean Jesus Christ what were you gonna do if the other dudes didn't storm out there angrily? We were all gonna just hang out and watch Lugz commercials til 11? That's why literally every other current wrestling program I watch from NXT to 205 to AEW to NJPW to whatever indie stuff I find online feels so much god damn fresher: they're just wrestling shows. Not shows about running a wrestling show, just a wrestling show.

I realized I said GD and JC a lot in that. I apologize for my use of religious iconography.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's probably my biggest complaint when I say why I finally quit the main shows after WM. So fucking much of the main roster TV is just a show about putting on a wrestling show. Even going back years and years when things weren't half bad. "Tonight in this very ring..." or "Tag team match, playa" I mean Jesus Christ what were you gonna do if the other dudes didn't storm out there angrily? We were all gonna just hang out and watch Lugz commercials til 11? That's why literally every other current wrestling program I watch from NXT to 205 to AEW to NJPW to whatever indie stuff I find online feels so much god damn fresher: they're just wrestling shows. Not shows about running a wrestling show, just a wrestling show.

I miss Championship committees, and Presidents. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 6

See, they were going to just have them run the shows from backstage, but then it became a big deal on the social media and the online wrestling media, so now they think putting Paul E and The Bisch on telly is going to pop big ratings.

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

See, they were going to just have them run the shows from backstage, but then it became a big deal on the social media and the online wrestling media, so now they think putting Paul E and The Bisch on telly is going to pop big ratings.

Ugh... That’s how you know this isn’t a real change.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Besides Mexico? 

I’ve seen Lucha brawls, but the falls are always in the ring.

Edit: Looking around, I don’t see anything of that match type. You reading carnies. One of you can book the “First ever” 2 out of 3 falls count anywhere match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I finally decided to cancel my network and WWN subscription. Got New Japan World and have been enjoying wrestling again. Focusing on the positive. I'll miss NXT Takeover but it was hard to watch guys move up and disappear. I'll check back in with WWE in the fall.

• Like 2

From WON

Regarding the promotional e-mail blast that went out earlier today pushing Paul Heyman for Raw and Eric Bischoff for Smackdown this week as the big stars in Dallas and San Antonio, that was both legit and a subject of a lot of controversy.  It wasn't supposed to be released like that and Bischoff was not even scheduled for the show.  The idea is to push the idea that it's all new to boost ratings after the last few weeks.  But Bischoff was not even scheduled to be in San Antonio as of this morning (Heyman was to be in Dallas but he's at every Raw).  It is possible that Vince McMahon has in the last few hours or will contact Bischoff about being in San Antonio based on the advertising going out. 

7 hours ago, caley said:

I haven’t read this but imagine some folks might find it interesting 

Wanted to bring this back since it was lost in the shuffle with so many crazy stories. This has a news paper clipping reprint from when Bruno beat Killer Kowalski and there's a great paragraph that says:

The Sammartino Championship fight wasn't the only spectacular. Good clean Dom DeNucci pinned the terrible Lou Albano who kept using illegal tape to rub the victor's eyes.

I WANT TO SEE ILLEGAL TAPE EYE RUBS. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

And as far as "making wins and losses matter," the Bound For Glory Series was an attempt. It wasn't entirely successful, but it was an attempt. 

By the end of the BFG series, that was as convoluted and poorly thought through program as anything on WWE today. That is not a good defense of Bischoff. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 5:55 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

One of my immutable wrestling conclusions is that Eric Bischoff was, is and always will be shite. The man is a carbunkle on the biz. He ain't no carny because his stream of lies make no one any money. Both his alleged creativity and his stillborn business acumen have hurt the wrestling business. Oy vey, I am not even looking forward to the trainwreck...

- RAF

I gotta quote myself because I agree with this even more 27 hours later.

- RAF,  genius have brain will travel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

By the end of the BFG series, that was as convoluted and poorly thought through program as anything on WWE today. 

You're giving WWE today too much credit. Nothing is given enough thought or effort to become 1/10th as convoluted. I'll take Eric's ill-conceived slop over being in the doldrums.