DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Again, I will reiterate what plenty of people have said here. Bischoff may have had some great ideas and done some great things in 96-97, but after that he was bad and we have the TNA run which showed me that he still only had the same few ideas he had in 97. I don't think the Heyman thing is that great of an idea either, tbf.

At the end of the day, I'll be stunned if this actually means anything because until I see it, Vince isn't letting anyone do anything on his shows. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

The fanbase trusts WWE so little that WWE CAN'T WIN regarding their creative choices. No matter who WWE picks to add to creative, people will just whine they picked them. If they gave a booker from the last five years a shot, people would whine "you did it to kill this indie fed!" We saw how people whined about Dana Warrior, then Bruce Prichard, and now they literally get Paul Heyman, the guy every smark had been whining for over a decade "give him all power and the show will be good", in charge of Raw, and they're whining about him too. 

Eventually there's a point where saying "the fans won't be happy unless WWE gives that fan, personally, all power" may be out to get the fans...but then, at the same time: Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, lays eggs like a duck, has a big sign next to it saying "THIS IS A DUCK"...it might just be a duck.

There's plenty of reasons to have little faith in WWE. How many times can you sit back and say, "They'll get it right this time."? Then, they don't get it right. Why wouldn't people complain about hiring Dana Warrior? Should we just accept it because she was married to a wrestler? We were down the Bruce Prichard road for a long, long time. What would an old timer like him offer to change a horribly stagnant product? Eric Bischoff is a retread that had one good idea, albeit not original, and he couldn't even not fuck that up. I'm personally not complaining about Paul Heyman. I'm a Paul Heyman guy. Why not give somebody else a shot, like Gabe Sapolsky? I mean, none of it is going to matter anyway when their ideas get shot down by Vince because he can't not be a control freak. I don't think I'm being a pessimist; I think I'm a realist.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's plenty of reasons to have little faith in WWE. How many times can you sit back and say, "They'll get it right this time."? Then, they don't get it right. Why wouldn't people complain about hiring Dana Warrior? Should we just accept it because she was married to a wrestler? We were down the Bruce Prichard road for a long, long time. What would an old timer like him offer to change a horribly stagnant product? Eric Bischoff is a retread that had one good idea, albeit not original, and he couldn't even not fuck that up. I'm personally not complaining about Paul Heyman. I'm a Paul Heyman guy. Why not give somebody else a shot, like Gabe Sapolsky? I mean, none of it is going to matter anyway when their ideas get shot down by Vince because he can't not be a control freak. I don't think I'm being a pessimist; I think I'm a realist.

The point is that, even if you know "at the end of the day, the buck stops with Vince", that's not a reason to say "wait, they're adding this person to the team in a move that ultimately means nothing.." "This person doesn't deserve it! They're not good enough! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"...even knowing deserve or not, they're going to be shot down by Vince. (It's doubled since there's proof some of the WWE names may actually be pretty good when Vince isn't calling the shots- for example, Craig DeGeorge being a nameless writer on the WWE Creative team, then leaves WWE...and goes on to be one of the core creative guys at Lucha Underground.) 

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Dana Warrior is visable one night a year. Why would you complain?

That's my point. There's no ostensible reason to complain that she's on the writing team and she's usually invisible, but earlier this year when they announced she was added to the writing team, people screamed bloody murder about it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steve said:

?

It's a two way street. Don't expect peace, love, and empathy when you're the kind of person the Warrior was. It doesn't exactly speak highly of Dana if she were able to accept the shitbag he was.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The SmackDown Six was Heyman being a genius rather than lucking into an all-time great roster. Eric stole ideas from other companies, while Paul is a genius for featuring talent from other countries. And on and on. 

He took four of the best wrestlers on the planet, and Edge and Chavo, and had them wrestle each other in various combinations for a few months. Not surprisingly, the show was pretty good. It really doesn't take a genius to think that up as a booking strategy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lie, Cheat, & Steal came out of Heyman’s run. Also the Latino Street Fight. Big Show finally being used correctly. John Cena getting a chance with his white rapper gimmick. It wasn’t just great matches from great wrestlers. The angles, and set ups were also well structured.

Don’t put the Gabe label on Heyman because he had great wrestlers under him. He also booked an entire promotion around some of the worst wrestlers on the planet, and made it work.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Lie, Cheat, & Steal came out of Heyman’s run. Also the Latino Street Fight. Big Show finally being used correctly. John Cena getting a chance with his white rapper gimmick. It wasn’t just great matches from great wrestlers. The angles, and set ups were also well structured.

Don’t put the Gabe label on Heyman because he had great wrestlers under him. He also booked an entire promotion around some of the worst wrestlers on the planet, and made it work.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great booker, just that if you're going to hail him as a genius, the Smackdown Six isn't the best example to cite. Turning an unathletic drunk; a schlub horribly miscast as a pretty boy; and Johnny Polo into iconic superstars is a way more impressive feat. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

As I mentioned a few pages back, I really enjoyed his OVW run, and the roster was a bunch of guys who either never made the main roster (Chet the Jet), or who got called up and made no impression on the main roster (Brent Albright, Idol Stevens, Paul Burchill)). CM Punk was probably the only notable name in OVW during that period.

The main event feud during that time was Matt Cappotelli/Johnny Jeter.  And they both looked like stars.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's a two way street. Don't expect peace, love, and empathy when you're the kind of person the Warrior was. It doesn't exactly speak highly of Dana if she were able to accept the shitbag he was.

Oh that's bullshit, bro. Come on, now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As far as wrestling weddings going wrong, nothing will ever top this.

well, splitting hairs, but strictly speaking the wedding went absolutely perfectly as planned.

it was the reception that was the problem ?

[but that hairsplit might actually be why this one's the best]

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Baron Corbin. Allegedly Vince is pushing him because women like him, and Baron Corbin looks and dresses like that one guy you knew who was way, way, way too into the swing revival in the 1990s. 

...that was what the lifestyle was, right? Bischoff and DDP just enjoyed "Swingers" enough they tried to convince themselves the Cherry Poppin' Daddies were actually good?

Yes.

The reason Liv Morgan got drafted away from Riott and Logan and disappeared from TV was so the Riott Squad could be erased to pave the way for hot new swing band stable faction The Zoot Suit Riot Squad

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wasn't this one more of a Stephanie thing?