DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In comparison, Heyman is getting a free pass. 

Isn’t it known/suspected that Heyman has long been one of Meltzer’s inside sources whereas Bischoff has had a rather cold and contentious relationship with the Meltz which could also lead to things being treated this way?

• Like 3

Neither guys will have anything to do with the business side.  That's a good thing. Anyway will they override Vinces weird win-loss patterns? And  I hope they make both shows distinct in tone from each other as well.

Eric will not have to deal with Dunn when the Fox era comes around.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Well, Heyman made the most of what he had in ECW and booked the Smackdown Six era, which is pretty universally loved around here.

Bischoff's best idea came from the NJPW/UWFi invasion angle, but inferring WWF guys were invading WCW with no real folllow up in place, and sticking us with nWo Hollywood and the Wolfpack, then re-uniting the nWo.

You downplay as best you can, but this also happened to be the most successful angle in the history of the business.

Heyman's fans act like they've never heard the name "Al Wilson."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

You downplay as best you can, but this also happened to be the most successful angle in the history of the business.

and he completely blew it by having no real plan to follow it up

I'm not downplaying anything. We were all around to see it. Bischoff's ineptitude speaks for itself.

Bringing up Al Wilson is silly. That was a dumb, low-card throw-away angle. It's not like that was taking away from the really good wrestling on Smackdown at the time.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

Garza Jnr is going to be a big Hispanic star for WWE, he oozes charisma, the obvious thing would be to call him the new Eddie Guerrero but I think that is just laziness by me.

Either way he will go far is pushed properly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Sure. The first time. The 4th time he did it as Aces & 8s, it was... much less successful.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and he completely blew it by having no real plan to follow it up

I'm not downplaying anything. We were all around to see it.

Bringing up Al Wilson is silly. That was a dumb, low-card throw-away angle. It's not like that was taking away from the really good wrestling on Smackdown at the time.

Bringing up Al Wilson also just shows what Heyman could actually do with a guy who wasn't an entertainer, wasn't trained, and he made it work.  Some of the segments were funny plus it's actually the kind of humor we know Vince loves.  Why aren't we talking about how great Heyman booked OVW? 

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I disagree very strongly and it's weird that Bischoff's bad booking is said to be relevant while we're supposed to disregard all of Heyman's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ace said:

Sure. The first time. The 4th time he did it as Aces & 8s, it was... much less successful.

Even the first time around, he watered it down so bad by adding everybody under the sun, being a huge mark for himself, and having to be one of the "boys". Giving creative control to guys like Hogan, Nash, and Hall? Yeah, job well done.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Just now, MORELOCK said:

I disagree very strongly and it's weird that Bischoff's bad booking is said to be relevant while we're supposed to disregard all of Heyman's.

I'm not going 'round and 'round with you. We don't agree on much. We never will. Enjoying running in a circle by yourself.

Peace, love, empathy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, caley said:

Isn’t it known/suspected that Heyman has long been one of Meltzer’s inside sources whereas Bischoff has had a rather cold and contentious relationship with the Meltz which could also lead to things being treated this way?

Yes.

And Bischoff trashing Dave on his podcast is apparently a regular thing, so it doesn't seem like time has made the relationship any better.

The episode of Bischoff's podcast that I listened to today was nothing but Bischoff trashing Flair's version of events.  They'd read a passage from Ric's book, and Bisch would say "no, no, that never happened.  Here's what really happened.  Of course, every story he told trashed Ric and cast him in a good light.

I enjoyed the podcast and I'm going to listen to some more episodes, but I'm skeptical I should take anything Eric says seriously. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sabremike said:

Was that the one where JC Bailey's dad called in claiming (and let's be real: he wasn't claiming, he was telling the God's honest truth) that Ian paid his son off in drugs?

Ian,in that interview,admitted to paying JC for 3 matches. Then turning around and selling JC a bunch of pills.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Boydy said:

Garza Jnr is going to be a big Hispanic star for WWE, he oozes charisma, the obvious thing would be to call him the new Eddie Guerrero but I think that is just laziness by me.

Either way he will go far is pushed properly.

They seem to think highly of his cousin (Humberto Carrillio) based on how he's been all over NXT and 205 lately. 

39 minutes ago, caley said:

For sure.

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

This is exactly what I mean when I say things about Heyman getting a pass.

The SmackDown Six was Heyman being a genius rather than lucking into an all-time great roster. Eric stole ideas from other companies, while Paul is a genius for featuring talent from other countries. And on and on. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

38 minutes ago, caley said:

A few years back when Eric was doing his anti Meltzer shtick (and that's what it is) Dave pointed out he was talking with him on a regular basis.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

What's weird is comparing booking that contributed the downfall of a whole company to booking that was part of a throwaway lower-card angle that had a couple of mildly amusing moments in the middle of all the stupidity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It is only Thursday people  ?

As cruel as this is going to sound, is it really surprising that a show run by a Rotten would have at least one HIV and/or Hepatitis scare in it.

Didn't Ian have a problem with his mats being so filthy that a bunch of wrestlers caught staph from them? I remember Samoa Joe getting staph after an IWA MS show.