DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

We know that Seth Rollins got the Rollins from Henry. But who did he take the Seth from? No way he's cool enough to be into Deadwood, so it's got to be Green or Rogen, right? Or he's really into alternate spellings of Egyptian Gods.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

We know that Seth Rollins got the Rollins from Henry. But who did he take the Seth from? No way he's cool enough to be into Deadwood, so it's got to be Green or Rogen, right? Or he's really into alternate spellings of Egyptian Gods.

Considering how annoying he is, I'd place money on Seth Rogen.

HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME. I'M DOING THE SAME MOVIE WHERE I GET A GIRL WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE...

I hope this doesn't mean Becky is Katherine Heigl

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-seth-rollins-reveals-reason-behind-his-ring-name

"Seth Rollins is a little bit of an ode to an idol of mine, Henry Rollins. He’s the leader of one of my favorite bands, Black Flag. Seth is just a name that I liked."

14 minutes ago, Hagan said:

What is the point of NXT and NXT UK creative if that’s not your bench for when things go bad?

This would be like the Yankees having Judge and Stanton go down and instead of calling up the prospects from the minors they sign Bernie Williams and A-Rod.

Actually, WWE’s decision with this exactly mirrors their decisions with main event talent for the last decade in recycling past headliners for a stop-gap solution.

Those names don’t grab headlines, and satisfy stock holders.

Here’s another thing. If they mention any of this shit on TV(the news of this creative change) then I think that means this won’t work. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hagan said:

What is the point of NXT and NXT UK creative if that’s not your bench for when things go bad?

This would be like the Yankees having Judge and Stanton go down and instead of calling up the prospects from the minors they sign Bernie Williams and A-Rod.

Actually, WWE’s decision with this exactly mirrors their decisions with main event talent for the last decade in recycling past headliners for a stop-gap solution.

Not sure about the analogy. This is management, not the talent. How much more often did Lenny Wilkins or Don Nelson get jobs vice an NBA coach being called up from NCAA or (now) the G League? It’s more the norm than the exception IMO.

• Like 1

Was it ever confirmed that Heyman and Lesnar had a say in who they worked with? If that, and the ensuing match effort/quality Brock gave, is any indication of who gets pushed by Paul then I'm game to see that shit. 

I’m irrationally super excited over this.  Early NWO-era WCW is some of my favourite TV and Heymans an interesting creative guy.  Will it suck? Oh probably.  But at least it’s two guys who aren’t exactly products of the WWE system.  Maybe we’ll get something just a little bit different even if it’s something as negligible as WWE faces having friends again and WWE heels not always banding together randomly to beat up the main event faces (Like when the locker room empties to beat up Roman or Braun despite said heels having no reason to do so; or when The Bar interrupted Rollins-Kofi for no rreason with no future feud planned).

• Like 2

Heymen has been part of the system/creative for a few years now.  He's the one in charge of Ronda's creative and scripts (least we not forget about Ronda's "Avocado toast" promo) and in Alexa's 365 special, he was the one producing her "A Moment in Bliss" segment.

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Lots of speculation of WOL. Meltz said he's talked to lots of people who are baffled by Eric coming in. 

Lots of shitting on Bischoff too, which you'd expect from this crowd. As always, Bryan's voice should come with a trigger warning. 

Specifically - Meltzer said that FOX had no idea this was happening nor did they know that Bischoff was going to SDL and if they (FOX) had had the choice, they wanted Heyman

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Specifically - Meltzer said that FOX had no idea this was happening nor did they know that Bischoff was going to SDL and if they (FOX) had had the choice, they wanted Heyman

I'm baffled as to why they'd have Bischoff to SD considering he's a far better fit f or Raw.  And vice versa for Paul.

• Like 3

83 Weeks is often really interesting. Bisch admits things sucked a lot, but it's almost always the midcard bullshit, and not the high profile stuff people still talk about (Fingerpoke, the world's slowest fast count, etc) and he does go to that "people's memories are unreliable" while never appearing to consider if that might apply to his memory as well.

But he does have some clear storytelling ideas and beliefs that he articulates well, and if he actually sticks to his "beginning, middle, end" ethos, his belief in the power of surprise, and the importance of clear cut stakes in matches and stories, it could at least produce a cleaner weekly show.

A whole lot of "Bischoff was responsible for everything bad that happened in WCW, but none of the good" here. I'll take 1996 Nitro over almost any era of wrestling anywhere. Keeping my expectations low for this, but I can't imagine it being less interesting than post-Mania WWE has been this year. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

A whole lot of "Bischoff was responsible for everything bad that happened in WCW, but none of the good" here. I'll take 1996 Nitro over almost any era of wrestling anywhere. Keeping my expectations low for this, but I can't imagine it being less interesting than post-Mania WWE has been this year. 

That's where I'm at too. I've been 205/NXT only with WWE since WM, but I'll still give it a shot at least because that's my favorite era too. 

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm baffled as to why they'd have Bischoff to SD considering he's a far better fit f or Raw.  And vice versa for Paul.

Because of his experience of working directly with the TV executives

56 minutes ago, caley said:

I’m irrationally super excited over this.  Early NWO-era WCW is some of my favourite TV and Heymans an interesting creative guy.  

1995 WCW is low-key one of the best years of wrestling content, IMO, across all shows. 

1995-1997 WCW was great, but it was also 24 years ago. What is the list of bookers out there that have done a great year+ of booking, then booked poorly or not at all for years, and then come back a decade-plus later and booked high-level stuff again?

25 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

If he utilizes the 250 or so wrestlers in random ass dream matches, and has 5 other people book all the weird shit, then sure I’ll give him a chance. I just don’t think Vince will allow him to buy Tyson T-Bone a ticket to wrestle Rowan in a work that turns into a shoot.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I don't know if either Heyman or Bischoff will have the freedom they would need to radically change the product but if they did it would be interesting to see that play out in theory. In reality this announcement won't be bringing me back to watching RAW or SDL.

They need to re-hire Abraham Washington, and have him host an nWo Tonight revival.

Edit: Apparently Meltzer is saying former TNA people are baffled they hired Eric.

I could see a Russo situation happening where he’s fired 20 minutes into a meeting.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1