DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

So who'll be in the new nWo knock-off stable? 

They're morons for not almost constantly having a NWO stable over the last ten years. The shirts would basically print money. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

If he had a choice in the matter, there's something deeply poetic about Triple H opting to stay in NXT, rather than be promoted to one of these main roster roles.

Anyway, we've got a Rhodes running a wrestling company on Turner, Heyman and Bischoff booking... I'd be a little worried to drive by a movie theater, and see Toy Story on the marquee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They're morons for not almost constantly having a NWO stable over the last ten years. The shirts would basically print money. 

It has to be another Vince edict that they don't have stables. Either that or you can have "factions" that have no more than 3 people in it.

I'll double down on this:

The last year of Eric Bischoff's life, between rewatching so much successful and unsuccessful wrestling, facing question after question both from the time and from more modern eyes about his decisions, interacting with fans so thoroughly, engaging with a more modern product in an educated way in order to be relevant to those fans, even learning new things about the corporate structure he dealt with at Turner, etc... it's basically been the best possible preparation for a role like this. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Was Bischoff in charge of Aces and Eights? That was pretty horrible. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And not sure if this means anything, but...

It means nothing considering Breeze spent the next like hour responding to people being all YOU ARE SHITTING ON THE WWE

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It means nothing considering Breeze spent the next like hour responding to people being all YOU ARE SHITTING ON THE WWE

Well there you go then.Thanks for doing the dirty work and looking into his replies.

4 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

There's no way he wasn't. Bischoff loves bikes. Remember Chuck Zito and the HA coming out with the NWO on Nitro? He also did a horrible "reality" show a few years ago (with who else but that butt head Jason Hervey) that followed a "biker club" that wasn't really a biker club because they weren't outlaw 1%ers and were like, into doing charity work or something, but then they still ran an angle about concern with one of the guys' wives or girlfriend's being an LEO. It was dogshit.

30 minutes ago, Ace said:

So who'll be in the new nWo knock-off stable? 

The Club: AJ Styles, Finn Balor, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderaon

My smart-ass answer: Heath Slater, The Colons, Tamina Snuka, Virgil, Eric Bischoff, Mojo Rawley (now with black & white face paint), The Ascension (also with black & white face paint), Scott Steiner, his tiger, his new freaks Dana Brooke & Alicia Fox, and you guessed it...

...Frank Stallone

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

There's no way he wasn't. Bischoff loves bikes. Remember Chuck Zito and the HA coming out with the NWO on Nitro? He also did a horrible "reality" show a few years ago (with who else but that butt head Jason Hervey) that followed a "biker club" that wasn't really a biker club because they weren't outlaw 1%ers and were like, into doing charity work or something, but then they still ran an angle about concern with one of the guys' wives or girlfriend's being an LEO. It was dogshit.

Man, you are right. So... what's the biker stable going to be on SD? 

7 minutes ago, Beech27 said:
Might point to a hard split coming back.

Considering the whole reason the Wild Card was implemented was because both USA and FOX have expressed concerns that top superstars wont be on their show - the hard split isn't coming back

11 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Meh, I think it was one of the better recent stables and attempted to tap into the zeitgeist but the ultimate payoff sucked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Might point to a hard split coming back.

He's right and what he said is exactly what's happening now.

This brand split has gone the way of the last brand split, but in a much more accelerated timeline. The biggest problem is the that the audience between the two brands or two shows is linked. I don't think Vince wants the audiences for each show to be separate. Like, on the Venn Diagram for their audiences, the circles should nearly overlap.

I might be in the minority on here and among all fans, but I love the brand split when the brand split is two unique rosters and each has their own PPVs on alternating months except for the big 4 or 5 shows each year. Really, it should be 4 big shows so then Raw and SDL each get 4 ppv type shows each. If you have a month where you don't have a ppv, you go all out on an episode of TV and you promote the hell out of that episode of TV for weeks in advance. Some of that WWE has done and some they haven't, but it's the situation I think works best. And if attendance to events is a concern, then run smaller buildings, but as it is, attendance is in the dumps anyway so why should that matter now?

• Like 3

So one thing that really sticks out to me is that in the 90s Eric and Paul were Vince's competition.  Now in 2019 they not only lost the war but also are reporting to the guy that took them out of business (yes, they fucked it up themselves but Vince was the final nail in the coffin)  I'm not saying I'm a fan of either guy but that's kind of fucked up in a way.

That said I'll be curious to see how much leeway they actually have with their decisions.  I'm more optimistic about Paul being on board but we'll see what happens.