DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

27 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Spoiler Alert: Vince Mcmahon and Paul Heyman had to be separated Monday night after they almost came to blows over what sources describe as "creative differences".

Heyman shattering his previous world record

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Even if they had no interference are we sure that by "completely remake the shows" that is a good thing.  Bischoff hasn't done anything booking wise since that god awful TNA Hogan period.  Unless people are exaggerating Heyman seems to be involved in the current WWE booking that people think sucks.  

Well since they are a billion dollar company now, Eric might have more leverage to convince them to spice up the sets. Creatively, yeah that might not work. The reason the 95-97 WCW worked because they had to many cooks. Eventually it did fall apart. But that backstage madness did provide an entertaining program.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well since they are a billion dollar company now, Eric might have more leverage to convince them to spice up the sets.

yes because the sets was the problem.  Not Orlando Jordan squirting fluids on himself trying to seduce Rob Terry or adding Bubba the Love Sponge to the Hall and Nash team or having Hulk's daughter in the main story line with Bully Ray or having a drugged out Jeff Hardy as your top heel and champion

Edited by hammerva
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I still highly doubt this changes anything. Ultimately, the buck still stops with Vince. All they've done is add even MORE middle men to production and creative. Heyman and Bischoff can come up with whatever ideas they want, the home team creative staff can write it all up, and the road team creative staff will have to re-work the whole entire show when Vince wants everything changed the day of. 

I'm also sure this is probably being done because the XFL is ramping up and maybe Vince thinks he needs to delegate more, but this is a guy who has never been able to stay away from his wrestling shows.

As for Heyman and Bischoff, if the utter shooty and cringey bullshit they had going on with Rousey in her last few months, or the booking of Lesnar throughout most of his tenure, is what we have to look forward to with Heyman, then yeesh, good luck. For Bischoff, listening to him on 82 Weeks just tells me he hasn't learned a thing. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

yes because the sets was the problem.  Not Orlando Jordan squirting fluids on himself trying to seduce Rob Terry or adding Bubba the Love Sponge to the Hall and Nash team or having Hulk's daughter but the main story line with Bully Ray.  

That’s why I mentioned creatively it will suck.

The Heyman side will be interesting. If he is in near full control, I could see him nixing the Baron & Lacey main event, and inserting something else. I can also see him scrubbing the deck clean with the RAW roster, and calling up, or using the more unused call-ups. Repackaging the current roster will take up way too much work. But this is still Vince’s company, and nobody else runs it but him.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Wait, isn't it WWE Canon that Bischoff never had any talent and all he ever did was use Turner's money to hire guys Vince created? 

Aside from this being the one time WWE's spin on something is actually close to the truth, it's hilarious that they're putting someone they've labelled an incompetent human ATM in charge of a show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We're all aware Bischoff didn't actually come up with HLA, right? He was on-screen talent only. 

My take away from listening to 83 Weeks is different from Craig H to be honest. Bischoff is quite frank about how terrible WCW was in places and is quite open about mistakes he's made. He seems to understand the appeal of making a card a variety show, giving different styles a chance. I'm not saying in 2019 Eric Bischoff is going to be the saviour or some master booker, but I think he's quite savvy and hopefully will freshen up the shows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Wait, are these shoot roles or kayfabe roles? The presser reads like a shoot.

I like it, with the usual (likely unrealistic) caveats around control and ownership.

Shoot

• Thanks 1

Bischoff may be the most overconfident booker/promoter ever. The guy rarely acknowledges when he was wrong. Every week on 82 Weeks he has the opportunity to admit something didn't work and instead of doing so, he attacks Wade or Meltzer or whoever. The only time he says something wasn't good was when he was mentally checked out or when Russo was running creative. It's never Bischoff's fault.

The last time Biscoff had an opportunity to do anything in charge was with TNA and we saw how poorly that went.

At least Bischoff gets to make money and dig out from his bad investments by doing something other than a million Blewchew ads.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

We're all aware Bischoff didn't actually come up with HLA, right? He was on-screen talent only. 

My take away from listening to 83 Weeks is different from Craig H to be honest. Bischoff is quite frank about how terrible WCW was in places and is quite open about mistakes he's made. He seems to understand the appeal of making a card a variety show, giving different styles a chance. I'm not saying in 2019 Eric Bischoff is going to be the saviour or some master booker, but I think he's quite savvy and hopefully will freshen up the shows.

The only thing Bischoff said on 83 Weeks that remotely made sense was his concept behind booking weekly TV as serialized and episodic TV where everything is broken down into acts. Wrestling needs more of that.

On the other hand, that only works as long as you have something creative to put on display and when he had the chance to do that in TNA it was fucking awful. This time around, he's not even really in charge. The buck always stops with Vince. That's why I don't think this winds up being any kind of meaningful change. Bischoff can have the best ideas in the world, but Vince needs to buy in to them.

6 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

My only problem with this theory is he said almost the exact same things in interviews right before he went to TNA, then rolled out the exact same WCW nonsense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Thought experiment: if differentiation is the goal, which two bookers, historically, could you get that would run the most diametrically opposed stylistically, yet high quality, shows?

Bill Watts and Gedo? 

Ooh, that's a good one...Maybe instead of Bill Watts you go with Dusty?

For jokes: Makoto Baba and Gabe.

6 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Thought experiment: if differentiation is the goal, which two bookers, historically, could you get that would run the most diametrically opposed stylistically, yet high quality, shows?

Bill Watts and Gedo? 

Sam Muchnick and Super Dragon ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I agree with Craig that this is likely being done with some eye towards Vince focusing more on the XFL.

If the wild card rule is still in effect (at least in its current firm), it will hamper their ability to differentiate the shows.

But the way you know this is being set up to fail? HHH isn’t taking a show to run for himself.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Sam Muchnick and Super Dragon ?

Dragon, what do you think about the 1st angle we proposed?

*No response*

Good, we’ll start that one tonight. What about the 2nd one?

*Flips bird*

Alright guys, you heard the boss. Toss that shit in the trash!

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3