DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

11 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Ehhh... I loved the PS2... but the SNES is f'n legendary. It does depend on your age group. I'm 39... when the SNES came out in 92 I was 12 and it was revolutionary. Even towards the end of its lifecycles it was still producing epic games like Donkey Kong Country that would once again change expectations. 

From a 1st party standpoint the SNES beats the PS2, but from a 3rd party standpoint the PS2 obliterates the SNES with its high number variety of great games. Heck some would say the Genesis had the better versions of the 3rd party games from that generation of the SNES’s lifespan.

• Like 2

This is a somewhat, though not completely, personal perspective - but the SNES was a gateway to another culture i.e. the Japanese culture. Future Publishing (who generally made the best computer mags e.g. Amiga Format) created Super Play - and that very much entwined Japanophilia with gaming (though I don't recall Puroresu coming up tbh).

I remember when I finally got a copy of 'Legend of the Mystical Ninja' - man, I was happy. And Street Fighter 2 obviously. 

There's somewhat of a trick of perspective for the UK as the NES wasn't *that* big in the UK, the dominant 'games machine' had been the Amiga (supported by Atari ST and PC) - and a lot of the games for that machine were produced in the UK (The Bandersnatch generation essentially) and the US. This was our first exposure to that world.

I think also easy to forget the 6 button controller - that felt like a lot of buttons (especially as aforementioned 16-bit computer users were really used to using 1 only, maybe two on a mouse-driven game), but it obviously opened up a wider range of control and provided the basis for the early PS gamepads.

I'm really not a gamer, and I'm not so self-absorbed as to really think my shit is special - but fuck me, the SNES had some good shit. Pilotwings. Motherfucking Pilotwings!

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Agreed but that's still way more inspiring and positive than hearing anything about Ian Rotten

What if it's his obituary?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

i am sorry I didn't know I woke up in 1999

"The more it changes, the more it stays the same and the hand just rearranges the players in the game..." - Al Stewart

• Like 2

This company is fucked.

Eh, maybe not. They both report to Vince and Vince runs the ship. Why they even need to hire both of them for these roles is beyond me. It'll be interesting to see which one quits first. I'm going with Heyman. I give him, oh, 9 months.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

This does explain the "progression" of the Mandy and Sonya team.   ?

i hope that Paul realizes that sneaking into other shows conference calls are going to be way more complicated in 2019 than in the past

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting developments... At least Vince is admitting his shows suck with this move, and is looking for ways to improve it, and not in the artificial way like Vince ratings stunt appearances, “You are the Authority”, and the Wild Card. Or this was done to satisfy the networks, and shareholders. So Vince might still get his tired old storytelling structure as the template with just a pretty bow on top(Heyman & Bischoff). I don’t see Eric as a good choice though.

By Mike Johnson on 2019-06-27 10:06:00
The announcement today that Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff have signed on with WWE to become Executive Directors of the Raw and Smackdown brands is a legitimate announcement, not a storyline situation.

WWE has been pursuing Heyman to come on officially as far back as February, PWInsider.com can exclusively confirm.  An offer was issued to Heyman to come on board full-time as a top member of the creative team around the same time Bruce Prichard was brought back as a Senior Vice President.  Heyman had been working on certain storylines and with certain talents, including Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnars and others dating back far before then.  

The Eric Bischoff deal came together within the last several weeks.  Bischoff has been working on pre-production of the planned Netflix Hulk Hogan biography film and had a slew of personal appearances booked.  Over the last week, he quietly began canceling those appearance dates, so that is likely when he came to terms with WWE.

you try to be a snarky internet humorist and make jokes about how much modern WWE is starting to resemble the ultimately fatal flaws of WCW's final years, and then they turn around and put Eric Bischoff in charge of Smackdown.

Satire is deader than Kayfabe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Well, I guess Sonya Deville is about to get the new HLA Championship. 

Also, anything that means Vince is taking a step back (presumably) is a good thing. 

I went from thinking that was some obscure parody writer to seeing the WWE tweet. Holy shit. I hope they're given carte blanche to completely remake the shows from top to bottom and differentiate them as much as possible with minimal interference but like that's gonna happen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, I guess Sonya Deville is about to get the new HLA Championship. 

...And people thought the Kabuki Warriors name was bad. We might get Eric telling Music to cue up oriental music number 3.

Oh man, Sonny Ono!

No fuck, Blood Runs Colder!

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

don't get me wrong, once upon a time "Heyman's ECWish RAW vs Bischoff's WCWesque Smackdown" as simulated rival promotions would've been a tremendous idea and might have made the whole brand split thing take more successfully from the start.  Instead of just two identically produced shows with different but extremely similar looking casts that underscores how samey and interchangeable everyone feels (especially after 50/50 booking).

And if they're allowed to produce their respective shows in such a way that they feel very different from each other that would be interesting to see, even if the differences between the shows and differences vs. how the shows have looked prior to this aren't particularly good.  Even failed experiments are breaths of fresh air.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Spoiler Alert: Vince Mcmahon and Paul Heyman had to be separated Monday night after they almost came to blows over what sources describe as "creative differences".

Like pudgy, out-of-shape Paul Heyman is going to take on a body-builder, who despite his age can still go out there and bump with the boys...

4 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I went from thinking that was some obscure parody writer to seeing the WWE tweet. Holy shit. I hope they're given carte blanche to completely remake the shows from top to bottom and differentiate them as much as possible with minimal interference but like that's gonna happen

Even if they had no interference are we sure that by "completely remake the shows" that is a good thing.  Bischoff hasn't done anything booking wise since that god awful TNA Hogan period.  Unless people are exaggerating Heyman seems to be involved in the current WWE booking that people think sucks.