DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

19 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Jay Strider, which isn’t a million miles from my shoot name!

I was still loving the Jay and Silent Bob movie and Lord of the Rings around 04.

Bob Legolas doesn’t have the same ring to it

Silent Frodo?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If AEW is going to be the woke promotion, they should run a TV special against the next blood money Saudi special.

Airing a wrestling special at 2 pm doesn't seem like a great competitive strategy. WWE only does it because it doesn't actually matter how many people watch the Saudi shows. 

The worst part of this "pick your name from your favorite movie/TV series from 15 years ago" is that I was so deep into my anime fandom that no matter which one I picked, I'd invariably have to do the "evil Japanese ninja gimmick who is OBVIOUSLY a white dude in a mask" gimmick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Bob Legolas doesn’t have the same ring to it

I disagree wholeheartedly, and if you have no intention on using it, can I use it as my gag name for checking into hotels?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Well we’ve just got one EVP taking a shot at the Blood Money concept and counter-programming. So. 

Considering that Shadid Khan bought a hotel from the Saudi royal family that is still managed by their hospitality holding corporation, Omega may be wise not to go down that road.

That's the thing about wrestling and big business in general. Everyone is dirty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Khan bought the Four Seasons in Toronto from Prince Alwaleed, who was one of more than a few princes detained/imprisoned by MBS citing corruption charges as part of a power play in the kingdom. Alwaleed isn't remotely the same as MBS. He may be a crooked businessman (and even then, there's not a lot to go off of), but he's not ordering the butchering of journalists. He's also donated billions to charitable foundations.

The comparison you make isn't a fair one. Purchasing a hotel from a member of the royal family, one who was imprisoned (albeit in a fancy hotel, so it's not like he was doing hard time) and stripped of any power he had by an actual corrupt part of the royal family isn't remotely the same as WWE receiving huge payouts from the Saudi government to put on shows there that are thinly veiled propaganda pieces.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In addition, being fair, the  "counterprogramming against a show for victims  of gun violence" thing would have had more legs if it was a PPV event, with the fees going to the same charity. 

If Fight for the Fallen is being given to people for free, it's not going to be taking money out of a charity's pocket.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Cesaro may be the best plug and play tag team member since, like, Owen Hart.

I might be wrong. I don't know.

You're absolutely right about Triple C, Claudio Cesaro Castagnoli. He is a king of wrestling, after all.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I remember playing a demo of this and thinking it was awful.

Terrible video game opinions.

#cancelled

31 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Terrible video game opinions.

#cancelled

It was only good because I forced myself to believe that it was good, having made a questionable console choice at the time, and with no money to buy another one.

Now I’m man enough to admit it was utter bollocks. 

• Haha 1