DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Everybody who says yes is getting signed. For the next 5 years there will not be a wrestler that will be let go. Unless it’s another Enzo. The days of spring cleanings will happen less, and less.

I remember reading excerpts from "Death of WCW" with bat shit crazy stuff along the lines of "Rick Steiner's contract automatically renewed for another year. Nobody backstage knew this so he wasn't booked. He sat at home for 8 months before anyone realized he was collecting for shows he wasn't even on..." 

WWE are actually going out of there way to create this scenario just to spite the super indies they spent the last decade building up as feeder systems...

Edited by L_W_P

42 minutes ago, nate said:

Murder death kill.

Let's see how our champ is doing so far:

1. Scold fans for reasons that remain obscure.

2. Dis supposed best friends, again for reasons that remain obscure.

3. Get into pissing contest with wrestler from competing company who is obviously wittier, and likely laughing himself sick and has already made a bunch of coin from t-shirt sales commemorating the occasion.

4. Pick fights with wrestling journalists who can (and likely will) use you as cannon fodder for weeks on end.

5. Ignore the advice of people who know better that are just telling you to walk away instead of becoming the butt of jokes on the Internetz. 

That pretty much cover it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

For the love of Gotch, Becky, take Seth's damn phone away!

maybe she did

[actually I guess that punch doesn't land, he's sounding more like Rousey's tweets from the WM build than Lynch's]

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Also, the bit about the tale being told by an idiot.

"a poor play" fits too.

William Shakespeare, Time Traveling rasslin' Hate-Watcher, who woulda thunk it

59 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'll have to admit that Rollins as a keyboard warrior is proving far more entertaining than Rollins the wrestler (for all the wrong reasons).

He still needs Jimmy Jacobs to do his talking for him.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Ok, How about "Mark Henry talks about how Ahmed tried to pill him by putting halcyon in his drink"?  Still better than more hot takes on Pro Wrestlers working on Twitter.

And it's Mark who brought up the racist shit to Austin and dragged it out of Austin that it happened and it was bullshit. Austin just acknowledged that this was the first time he's talked about it. That's all Austin said. It wasn't Micheal Hayes cluelessly trying to explain how he's really not racist.

He did act racist towards Nelly in the remake of The Longest Yard... It all fits!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He's an uncoordinated lug with no charsima or psychology. Has everything else though.

So he hasn’t come along at all in the last couple of years? Sorry I don’t watch NOAH.

Fuck Seth Rollins.

on the other hand, I’d probably be acting like an entitled, pretentious piece of shit too, if ratings and attendance were this bad while I was the supposed top guy. And all the money in the world won’t buy him a crowd reaction like the one Mox got at “Double or Nothing.” Rollins wants so badly to be cool, like Mox and those guys he claims to have never seen, and he’s just...not. He’s the corporate babyface desperately masquerading as the rebel. His catch phrase is “burn it down,” yet he wouldn’t dare light a match without Daddy H’s permission. He’s the personification of everything wrong with WWE, and seeing him get dragged on the internets for it is amusing...

Edited by just drew
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Roman seems like he might be a really cool guy in real life.

But, Christ, has there ever been a better example of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" in wrestling history than The Shield? They were perfectly suited to one another's strengths and weaknesses, both in-ring and as characters.

The only time I ever liked Seth was The Shield/team with Ambrose stuff. I know I've told the story about leaving an ROH show early with the words "yeah, let's go. I have no desire to see Tyler Black wrestle" on here before.

Putting aside my own dislike for him, though, his big problem is that everything about how he carries himself, talks, etc screams "weaselly heel" but his in-ring style is nothing but big spots to pop crowd and selling. Well, that, and being one of the worst promos in the history of pro wrestling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, OSJ said:

Are y'all old enough to remember when we all had Terry Taylor pegged as the next Ric Flair?  Was that ever a bad call.  That would have been 1987 or thereabouts, fast-forward twenty years and Taylor is a corporate stooge and Flair is still Flair. When I'm wrong, I'm way wrong...

It's weird for me hearing this. I didn't get to see any Mid-South until the network rolled around, and I always assumed it was hoss-central as far as champions went. So with that in mind, as well as only ever seeing as the Red Rooster and Taylor Made Man growing up, he sticks out like a sore thumb as UWF champion to me. Was he accepted? Was he over?

Edited by CreativeControl

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The only time I ever liked Seth was The Shield/team with Ambrose stuff. I know I've told the story about leaving an ROH show early with the words "yeah, let's go. I have no desire to see Tyler Black wrestle" on here before.

It confuses me that my favourite WWE tag match, the Rhodes Brothers vs Roman/Rollins, is so great despite featuring two wrestlers in Seth and Cody who are the blandest of the bland outside that match. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

It confuses me that my favourite WWE tag match, the Rhodes Brothers vs Roman/Rollins, is so great despite featuring two wrestlers in Seth and Cody who are the blandest of the bland outside that match. 

Man, Cody is the weirdest guy for that. He's mostly pretty bland bell to bell, but then he goes and steals the show at All-In and him age Dustin have the best pure storytelling match in years at DoN.

Although I did enjoy his Ibushi matches quite a bit. He's definitely been better outside WWE.