DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Every time Roman is allowed to just go out and whip ass, the crowds suddenly get behind him.

Then they have someone get heat on him for weeks on end, and instead of sympathy, the crowd either turns on him (pre-cancer) or just loses interest (now)

Yet they constantly go back to "gotta get heat on Roman"

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Looks like Razor Ramon Hard Gay (and several other Japanese comedians) got suspended by their talent agency in Japan for palling around with the yakuza... 

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20190624/p2a/00m/0et/020000c

Yikes.  

got suspended for palling around with the yakuza without giving Yoshimoto a cut of the payment. The Yoshimoto talent agency were the backers for jd' joshi puro promotion around 20 years ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Jokes aside, it's a smart way to go. Roman will get serious mainstream publicity for his role in Hobbs & Shaw. Based on the trailer, he's getting decent screen time in Hobbs go-home scenes. Have to imagine WWE wants to capitalize on the press coming Roman's way.

WWE only promotes movies that they themselves have their fingers in.  Batista has a role in the 2nd highest-grossing movie of ALL TIME.  I don't think WWE gave it a single mention during his brief comeback this year.  Hell, Batista's been treated as a nobody by WWE for the past five years and he's arguably the second or third biggest mainstream wrestler-actor out there.  Would seem like a win-win to mention it but Vince seems to get pissy when his talent proves they can make it on their own without him.

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Remember that few weeks in (I believe) 08-09 when they would play ominous/serious sounding music in the background during in-ring promos?

Remember-uh, in 2000-uh, when Triple H-uh, would talk-uh, like this-uh? For three weeks-uh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

WWE only promotes movies that they themselves have their fingers in.  Batista has a role in the 2nd highest-grossing movie of ALL TIME.  I don't think WWE gave it a single mention during his brief comeback this year.  Hell, Batista's been treated as a nobody by WWE for the past five years and he's arguably the second or third biggest mainstream wrestler-actor out there.  Would seem like a win-win to mention it but Vince seems to get pissy when his talent proves they can make it on their own without him.

They've mentioned Roman being in H & S on social media already, though. So I think they'll push it as August draws closer.

Fair play on Batista, though. I assume they thought he'd crash and burn as an actor, only to see him become part of the biggest pop-culture/movie-going phenomenon ever. Probably chaps them good that they missed the boat on him, so they're digging in their heels out of stubbornness. Silly mindset to have.

7 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Also, Rollins is a mark for himself, sure, but aren't all wrestlers? I say this as a dude who thinks he sucks as a singles and screams "lifelong FIP in a main event tag team" as his natural ceiling

Pronouns pal. I read this thinking ‘oh cool, I never knew Smelly McUgly was a wrestler’ and then ‘he’s pretty full of himself’ and then ‘I’m a stupid idiot’.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, BEN! said:

I like that Vince just discovered that real sportsball doesn't go to commercial during play.  This XFL relaunch is bearing fruit already.  Announcing time limits would be a lot easier way to get your matches in before commercial break.  If they leave the clock on the tron, it'll also give people something to count down to during Rollins' matches.  I hope Double J has taught Vince about the Fox Box for the SmackDown move.

WWE does currently have maybe the most athletically superior roster of all time.  They've got like 300 people though so the damn numbers game works out in their favor.  They can't present anybody like a star for shit though.  They've got to stop listening to the nerds.  For all the crying about Punk or Bryan during their pushes, they never moved the needle.  The Women's Revolution resulted in a quarter of the female audience leaving.

They need to just go back to basics and feed The Big Dog, baby girl.  Serve him up a new heel every couple of months and push him down the marks' throats.

Vince is swimming in a “global gold” pool Scrooge McDuck style as we speak. 

1 hour ago, Custos said:

Pronouns pal. 

I'll be glad to edit my posts for unclear pronouns in the future, but let's just make one thing clear: I am NOT your "pronouns pal." We're just not that close, for one, and I like to build my friendships on foundations other than the parts of speech.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'll be glad to edit my posts for unclear pronouns in the future, but let's just make one thing clear: I am NOT your "pronouns pal." We're just not that close, for one, and I like to build my friendships on foundations other than the parts of speech.

Well, considering the recent anti-British English rhetoric and the fact that I hail from ‘ Sarf Lundon’ (a real cockney, not like Ospreay and those Essex mockney wannabes ?) it seems like language is more likely to be a foundation for division than unity. 

Peace and love, my bredren (appropriating Jamaican patwah being another quirk of Londoners)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Well, yeah. Saying you're better than everyone else is a babyface move if the audience agrees with you. Flair could get away with it. Conor McGregor could. Mohammed Ali, Cristiano Ronaldo. Lawler in Memphis (but not outside of there). But when Platinum Mike Perry says it, people laugh at him. It takes a very rare cocktail of extreme charisma and extreme talent to be a boastful babyface. And Seth Rollins, even though the WWE formula isn't to my taste, I'll happily admit that he's a real talent, an extreme talent on his best day. But extreme charisma? Not his forte.

Even then, the big thing to remember is it's not just "are you the best", but "if you're the champion, you need to BELIEVE you're the best, and because you're the champ, that makes you the best.

That's the problem with a lot of the Rollins stuff- just saying "we're the best promotion in the world, and as champion that makes me the best wrestler" is a problem because the fanbase hating it...do they truly believe Rollins would say "WWE sucks, you're right to not show up for this PPV, I am counting down every day of my contract just waiting to jump to AEW so I can REALLY wrestle...but then I know it's a beautiful dream one such as I could never have, because even as the best wrestler in WWE, I couldn't shine the boots of the very worst wrestler in AEW?" 

5 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Remember that few weeks in (I believe) 08-09 when they would play ominous/serious sounding music in the background during in-ring promos?

I wasn't watching then but this sounds hilarious ?

Since we're still talking about the Rollins tweets, and Ospreay just can't help himself.

54 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

"WWE sucks, you're right to not show up for this PPV, I am counting down every day of my contract just waiting to jump to AEW so I can REALLY wrestle...but then I know it's a beautiful dream one such as I could never have, because even as the best wrestler in WWE, I couldn't shine the boots of the very worst wrestler in AEW?" 

This is total word salad.