DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

I like that Vince just discovered that real sportsball doesn't go to commercial during play.  This XFL relaunch is bearing fruit already.  Announcing time limits would be a lot easier way to get your matches in before commercial break.  If they leave the clock on the tron, it'll also give people something to count down to during Rollins' matches.  I hope Double J has taught Vince about the Fox Box for the SmackDown move.

WWE does currently have maybe the most athletically superior roster of all time.  They've got like 300 people though so the damn numbers game works out in their favor.  They can't present anybody like a star for shit though.  They've got to stop listening to the nerds.  For all the crying about Punk or Bryan during their pushes, they never moved the needle.  The Women's Revolution resulted in a quarter of the female audience leaving.

They need to just go back to basics and feed The Big Dog, baby girl.  Serve him up a new heel every couple of months and push him down the marks' throats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

They need to fill out the show with extremely short matches. Fly in Chris Adams(I think he’s on the roster) to wrestle Braun Strowman for fives minutes, with Chris on offense for 90% of the match, and then Braun wins with a distraction by Glacier(who is still feuding with all the dudes on the roster that use the Cryonic kick). 

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Personally, I can't see them. 

I can't see them, but I can hear the hamper voices.

My hamper tells me the squirrels that constantly eat from my bird feeders are plotting to kill me. My cats tell me they have my back, so I'm not so worried about it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I blame the WWE's blurring of reality and what's supposed to be a work for the reaction to Rollins's comments. I'm not saying that I want kayfabe to come back in 2019, but I at least want the tones of wrestler tweets to match whatever their alignment is on the show. 

Also, Rollins is a mark for himself, sure, but aren't all wrestlers? I say this as a dude who thinks he sucks as a singles and screams "lifelong FIP in a main event tag team" as his natural ceiling (which is still a great ceiling and would be a role that he'd be able to do well for lots of money if this were 1983). Still, dude is of course going to pump his work up. So did the Hitman, and I won't hear a bad work about him. It would be wrong of me to get on Rollins for doing the same thing.

Anyway, WWE can't have the best wrestling on the planet even with all that talent because of their house style, which is stale and dull and which almost never offers any surprises, which is why something like the Brock Lesnar/John Cena matches that broke that mold were so highly praised around DVDVR (at least in the moment; I'm not sure if the consensus has changed since then). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peck said:

Hate to say it, but I think they'd really have a tough time flying in Chris Adams.

It's not that hard. Dead bodies get flown with cargo in a cardboard shipping container. Then, someone like me picks them from the airport and brings them back to the funeral home. I also bring them to the airport to ship out of state or another country. Of course, you have to make sure you've got the right paperwork with you and all that.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Something else not mentioned as part of Vince's plan to replicate the fall of WCW, err, I mean, throw shit at the wall and see what sticks is this report that they're also considering splitting matches up into rounds where pinfalls or KOs add up to determine a victor...or something like that.

I have zero idea if this is just someone else's bullshit or if someone at WWE is leaking obvious fake bullshit to see what Meltzer or Satin or whoever else runs with it or if it's legit...

BUT

It does sound crazy enough and like something Vince would have the attention span for for a whole 3 weeks to actually be a legit idea.

So if this is an actual real idea they're kicking around in addition to no matches going over commercial breaks and more 2/3 falls matches, then I have even less hope for this company.

Again, as many fans have pointed out, the simplest solution is TV time limits. But hey, what the fuck do we know, right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BEN! said:

They need to just go back to basics and feed The Big Dog, baby girl.  Serve him up a new heel every couple of months and push him down the marks' throats.

Jokes aside, it's a smart way to go. Roman will get serious mainstream publicity for his role in Hobbs & Shaw. Based on the trailer, he's getting decent screen time in Hobbs go-home scenes. Have to imagine WWE wants to capitalize on the press coming Roman's way.

• Like 1