DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, there's one example. Another example are people making jokes about Seth. Another example is claiming two tweets is a heel promo.

In what world are two tweets where you say you're one of the best wrestlers in the world or your company puts on the best wrestling in the world a heel promo? And he didn't even say something stupid. Debatable? Sure.

I'm with Morelock and BLR on this. They've nailed it so far.

Like I said, I tend to read tweets in the voices of those who make them and Seth's voice has always just annoyed me for some reason. As for it being a heelish promo, because I read the tweets in his annoying voice it comes across as whiny and scolding directed toward the people he should be cultivating as supporters.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Pro Athlete speaks in cliche

Internet: Athletes are so boring

Pro Athlete speaks plainly and how they feel

Internet: OUTRAGE! HOW DARE YOU EXPRESS AN OPINION! STICK WITH SPORTS!

But OSJ said there was no outrage.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

But OSJ said there was no outrage.

I meant here, obviously. I don't give a shit what a bunch of cretins say on other sites or social media crap that I avoid like the plague.

12 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Like I said, I tend to read tweets in the voices of those who make them and Seth's voice has always just annoyed me for some reason. As for it being a heelish promo, because I read the tweets in his annoying voice it comes across as whiny and scolding directed toward the people he should be cultivating as supporters.

Well...I mean...this sounds like a you problem...

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Well...I mean...this sounds like a you problem...

Not going to claim that it isn't. It may well be, but Seth is on the short list of people that I simply cannot abide listening to for any length of time. 

• Thanks 1

"I am the best at posting on this board. No other DVDVR poster can post as intelligently as me, as amusingly as me, as insightfully as me."

Is that not a heel promo? 

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

"I am the best at posting on this board. No other DVDVR poster can post as intelligently as me, as amusingly as me, as insightfully as me."

Is that not a heel promo? 

I would say that it fully depends on who says it. ?

13 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I would say that it fully depends on who says it. ?

Well, yeah. Saying you're better than everyone else is a babyface move if the audience agrees with you. Flair could get away with it. Conor McGregor could. Mohammed Ali, Cristiano Ronaldo. Lawler in Memphis (but not outside of there). But when Platinum Mike Perry says it, people laugh at him. It takes a very rare cocktail of extreme charisma and extreme talent to be a boastful babyface. And Seth Rollins, even though the WWE formula isn't to my taste, I'll happily admit that he's a real talent, an extreme talent on his best day. But extreme charisma? Not his forte.

• Thanks 1

I was with Seth touting the roster and I’m fine with the champ puffing out his chest, but when he tells Ospreay that Ricochet is a better version of him and calls him “little buddy” he’s just being a dick. That’s been Seth’s issue, he can’t see the line between heel and face bravado.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I was with Seth touting the roster and I’m fine with the champ puffing out his chest, but when he tells Ospreay that Ricochet is a better version of him and calls him “little buddy” he’s just being a dick. That’s been Seth’s issue, he can’t see the line between heel and face bravado.

How long has Ricochet been under WWE contract? Isn't it only like a year? Does this mean that by Seth's logic, Ricochet sucked in 2017? That if Ospreay left NJPW for WWE, the second the ink dried on his contract he'd instantly improve as a worker?

4 hours ago, AxB said:

"On the next PPV main event, I won't be Wrestling Baron Corbin. I'll be wrestling Daniel Bryan instead".

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

On top of the monkey bars, just like a CrossFit Jesus would be.

Hey, if Daniel Bryan can drag Seth to even a ** on top of monkey bars, you wouldn't see me complain.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

"On the next PPV main event, I won't be Wrestling Baron Corbin. I'll be wrestling Daniel Bryan instead".

Or Samoa Joe

Or Rusev

Or Nakamura 

Or Braun Strowman

Or Bobby Lashley

Or Aleister Black

Or Cesaro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

From what I can tell, Rollins wasn't even defending the company itself. The creative process, Vince, the scripted promos - all of the things that play into the "crowd vs. company" dynamic that they've built - none of that was mentioned. He only talked up the in-ring wrestling. While it's clear that many disagree, if we're just talking about the in-ring work, that isn't all that controversial a statement. Last night's PPV matches were all well received here outside of the match that Rollins himself was in. Of the many, many criticisms levied against WWE, very few of them seem to be about the actual in-ring work. If we're talking strictly in-ring, can that many modern-day companies really be seen as that much better than WWE? I could see people arguing NJPW, but others?

Fair point, I see your perspective. Maybe I was kinda reading some subtext that wasn't really there. 

37 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I liked Will Ospreay's response:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm pretty sure that people are having such a tough time with this for a pretty simple reason: because Seth Rollins is everything that is wrong with pro wrestling.

Well, I'll go out on a limb and say that most of this isn't really Seth's fault, he's been pushed into a spot that he's rather ill-suited for. Let me explain, in the Shield, you had Roman as the strong, mostly silent ass-kicker, you had Ambrose as the talker and Seth as the consummate wrestler who kept quiet most of the time. This played well to the strengths of all three. Once the decision was made to break up the Shield and make Roman the star everything sort of went to shit because you had guys suddenly forced into roles that they weren't really equipped to handle. Roman's proven to be pretty bullet-proof, Moxley's had to leave to reinvent himself leaving Seth pushed as The Guy, when he really lacks the necessary charisma for the role.

• Like 2

I think it's great that dudes like Ospreay think they're the best or Seth feels he and WWE are or AEW thinks they're the best..  it's a healthy competition that maybe leads to better wrestling in all companies.  Not that I think anyone is mailing it in in 2019 (except Nakamura) but it's a good motivational tool.  

• Like 1