DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

40 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

The heat Sasha has with Alexa is based off the fact that Alexa wasn't as knowledgeable about the business as she pretended to be and she didn't grow up a true fan like Sasha

There's a few things.  Supposedly Alexa went around NXT talking about how she grew up a big fan and all this shit and they knew she was lying about all of it.  Sasha said that she doesn't need to be a fan at all but the fact that she lied about it and wasn't being true to herself was a turnoff for some people.  But Sasha also broke Alexa's nose in a match way back when so it wasn't just one thing, it was various things dating back years. 

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's a few things.  Supposedly Alexa went around NXT talking about how she grew up a big fan and all this shit and they knew she was lying about all of it.  Sasha said that she doesn't need to be a fan at all but the fact that she lied about it and wasn't being true to herself was a turnoff for some people.  But Sasha also broke Alexa's nose in a match way back when so it wasn't just one thing, it was various things dating back years. 

Sasha/Alexa "who loves it more" drama is dumb. Alexa has always sucked at every important aspect of pro wrestling each time I've been unfortunate enough to have her on my screen, but that dopey "R u a ReeL FaN?" shit that some people are on is fucking dumb as hell. At every job I've ever had, even the shitty ones that I had as a teen, I too feigned deep and abiding love for taking wayward pins out of gutters or providing customer service to a car full of whiny, milkshake-guzzling kids or whatever. Big fuckin' deal. Everyone does it. 

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I too feigned deep and abiding love for taking wayward pins out of gutters or providing customer service to a car full of whiny, milkshake-guzzling kids or whatever. Big fuckin' deal. Everyone does it. 

A waiter or waitress doesn't get a bigger tip from me because they smile a lot,  I give everyone the same 25% whether they sucked or not. ?

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A waiter or waitress doesn't get a bigger tip from me because they smile a lot,  I give everyone the same 25% whether they sucked or not?

giphy.gif

?

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sasha doesn’t get to make the decision about who deserves what. Alexa’s a better sports entertainer than her, and Sasha being offended because Alexa supposedly didn’t know which Hardy was which does nothing but make Sasha come off as pretentious and spoiled. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Sasha/Alexa "who loves it more" drama is dumb. Alexa has always sucked at every important aspect of pro wrestling each time I've been unfortunate enough to have her on my screen, but that dopey "R u a ReeL FaN?" shit that some people are on is fucking dumb as hell. At every job I've ever had, even the shitty ones that I had as a teen, I too feigned deep and abiding love for taking wayward pins out of gutters or providing customer service to a car full of whiny, milkshake-guzzling kids or whatever. Big fuckin' deal. Everyone does it. 

For someone with no prior experience before NXT I think Alexa is pretty good. Alexa has obviously been more of a favorite of Vince if you judge by her title runs as opposed to Sasha. I'm sure she's aware of that too. She's been booked pretty relevant since she been on the main roster, she was giving a talking segment on the show after she got hurt, how many women that are actually workers have been given that chance

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I like that the Stomping Grounds Pre-Show panel is full of all the WWE’s failed “Token black” announcers(Coach, Booker T, and David Otunga).

HOW DARE YOU BOOKER WAS GREAT

While we're on the subject of great promos, I recently inherited a large collection of tapes from a wrestling historian friend of mine, and I'm working on converting them to DVD. Right now, I'm watching a tape of 1984 AWA, and Larry Zbyszko just cut a promo while twirling around some nunchucks, and I really feel like "Larry Zbyszko has nunchucks" is something that doesn't get talked about enough.

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Sasha doesn’t get to make the decision about who deserves what. Alexa’s a better sports entertainer than her, and Sasha being offended because Alexa supposedly didn’t know which Hardy was which does nothing but make Sasha come off as pretentious and spoiled. 

I remember a story about Sami Zayn publicly calling out someone who was a shit wrestler while putting over one of his indie buddies. As much as I like that era of NXT, there was almost certainly a smark snob attitude steering some of the culture. 

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

For someone with no prior experience before NXT I think Alexa is pretty good. Alexa has obviously been more of a favorite of Vince if you judge by her title runs as opposed to Sasha. I'm sure she's aware of that too. She's been booked pretty relevant since she been on the main roster, she was giving a talking segment on the show after she got hurt, how many women that are actually workers have been given that chance

I'm not sure Alexa was on the main roster by the time I stopped watching, but I thought that she was a bad talker, a bad in-ring worker, and had all-time terrible facial expressions that were comically big in a way that was just dumb. 

She might have improved since she got onto the main roster, but I'd imagine that the restricting nature of the shows wouldn't have helped her grow in a way that would have made me enjoy her. 

6 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

You've never worked in a restaurant, have you?

Nope (well, fast food, but I assume that you are referring to a sit-down restaurant with a full kitchen and wait staff), but I wouldn't expect to tip 25% for anyone, no matter how bad the service. I tip 20% for standard service and more than 20% for fantastic service. I don't have a problem with tipping big, but I do have a problem with someone expecting me to pay a quarter of the bill for standard or less-than-standard service. It's a tip, not a birthright. Work for that shit. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Alexa’s a better sports entertainer than her

We all have our opinions,  I don't think Alexa is very good and I was saying that well before she came over to RAW.  I thought Naomi was better,  I thought Becky was better..  etc.  

But I'm also a person who said she showed a lot of potential on the microphone and I thought one day she might become the next Trish if she got a little better in the ring and kept at it on the mic.  Unfortunately I don't think she has improved at all since coming up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A waiter or waitress doesn't get a bigger tip from me because they smile a lot,  I give everyone the same 25% whether they sucked or not. ?

I tip based on service, and usually leave 20%. I stiffed a waitress once because she was so unbelievably terrible. She spent the whole time I was there talking to a table that was a group of her friends. My ex and I were lucky we got our food at all. The only tip I left was a note on the receipt, "Choose a new profession because you're a shit waitress.". 

Related image

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
I had to add it.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, just drew said:

I'm going to have to watch some recent Alexa Bliss and Sasha Banks because Alexa was dirt terrible and Sasha was really excellent. I can't imagine that Alexa has become that much better than Sasha in such a short time. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I tip based on service, and usually leave 20%. I stiffed a waitress once because she was so unbelievably terrible. She spent the whole time I was there taking to a table that were a group of her friends. My ex and I were lucky we got our food at all. The only tip I left was a note on the receipt, "Choose a new profession because you're a shit waitress.". 

I still would have left something but that story does sound similar to an experience I had.  I used to love going to this seafood place, it wasn't a restaurant they just sold fresh sea food and I was waiting in line and the fucking guy at the counter was chatting with a buddy who was not in line and this went on for a few minutes and then he allowed his buddy to basically cut the line and that was it for me. I walked out.   I've never gone back.  It was one of the most unprofessional things I've seen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’m very excited to see this thread get closed when a hero emerges to run the Woke Olympics and medals in tipping. 

Scientifically, talking about a thread getting closed before it's closed increases the chances of it closing by 683%.*

I think people should tip what they want. I've tipped a full 100% a handful of times in my life for service that was so good (accommodating multiple food allergies in a big party and being friendly, patient, and kind, along with good food from the kitchen as one example). But I'm not handing out 25% of, say, an eighty-dollar bill to every server who avoids my table like the plague and leaves me without a drink for ten minutes and who takes fifteen minutes to get over and even say hello and I'll get you two some water while you make up your mind about what to drink. 

I don't really have crusader-ish ideas about tipping. I just wanted to use that Homer Simpson GIF. "Two Bad Neighbors" is classic TV. 

*That shit wasn't scientific at all; I made it up. 

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm going to have to watch some recent Alexa Bliss and Sasha Banks because Alexa was dirt terrible and Sasha was really excellent. I can't imagine that Alexa has become that much better than Sasha in such a short time. 

She hasn't. Alexa's match with Bayley tonight was solid. Sasha had a significantly better match with Rousey at Royal Rumble. Those matches are the best either has looked this year. 

• Like 2

I couldn't care less about people talking about Sasha. Again, it's a wrestling thread. I'm in this for the discussion about memorable promos and Vince's idiotic ways of improving ratings.

• Haha 1