DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nia Jax being sidelined helps as well.

The person who thought it was a good idea to send a five foot, 100 lb undertrained gymnast out to perform with a 300 lb. undertrained Samoan, then send her to perform with an undertrained MMA fighter should be fired.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, just drew said:

The person who thought it was a good idea to send a five foot, 100 lb undertrained gymnast out to perform with a 300 lb. undertrained Samoan, then send her to perform with an undertrained MMA fighter should be fired.

You know, one thing I'm hoping is that with the recent thing of a couple people going back to NXT, maybe Nia goes down there for a little bit when she returns. I think it would be an interesting dynamic to have a more powerhouse type woman with the current ladies like Io and Shayna. When Dakota's back I think she'd be great at selling for Nia. It would make a great Total Divas angle. Even just to shake off the rust for a few months would be good. For her (many) shortcomings in the ring, it's undeniable that she looks great and has the pedigree. With a little more time in the oven maybe she won't be murdering people anymore. Put her on house shows with a vet like Nattie or Mickie every single night for a year or something and have her just try - try - try to work on her timing

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Words
  • Like 2

So I was thinking about Contra Unit in MLW, and how the promotion will resolve their whole terrorist gimmick. And I thought one way to do that would be, if it's revealed that rather than being idealogically opposed to Western values and freedom or whatever, they're just devotees of psychological warfare who knew that aping a terroristic approach will strike fear into the hearts of their opponents, and a fearful opponent is an easily defeated one et cetera. 

But that got me thinking, that's Sun Tzu business. And there's never been a guy in wrestling who did an "I like Sun Tzu" gimmick. I've known a few in real life and on the internet and that, but no wrestler has been an Art of War acolyte on screen (backstage, quite possibly). So, what are other real life gimmicks that wrestling has never done, and probably should.

• Like 1

I was bored earlier and just thought of tag teams I would like to see, the main ones were 

Cesaro & Drew Gulak 

Walter and Brock Lesnar

Drake Maverick and Braun Strowman

EC3 and Bobby Roode

Also would like a modern Dangerous Alliance with Drake as the mouthpiece, Bobby Roode, EC3, Braun and Dana Brooks as the Madusa character.

Anyone thought of 2 guys they can put together as a decent tag team?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AxB said:

But that got me thinking, that's Sun Tzu business. And there's never been a guy in wrestling who did an "I like Sun Tzu" gimmick. I've known a few in real life and on the internet and that, but no wrestler has been an Art of War acolyte on screen (backstage, quite possibly). So, what are other real life gimmicks that wrestling has never done, and probably should.

Considering the Orange Cassidy things earlier in the thread and the concept of "a wrestler who is doing the bare minimum of effort" somehow works, fans might be ready for a wrestler who is an avowed pacifist who espouses the principles of self-defense, who makes it a plot point they're not going to go on the offensive and vow they will only do enough in the match to defend themselves against their opponent, no more and no less.

Between how Cassidy's humor has gone and how popular grapplefuck is (with a good mixture of sold as self-defense there), that gimmick would probably be huge now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'd like to see a wrestler adapt a Drunken Hokuto Master gimmick. 

Fixed that for you. A guy with 7 scars on his chest feuding with an adopted brother to be the one true WWE Champion would be amazing television!*
*Of course the TV Rating would drastically change

James

11 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Fixed that for you. A guy with 7 scars on his chest feuding with an adopted brother to be the one true WWE Champion would be amazing television!*
*Of course the TV Rating would drastically change

James

Ten bell salute to start off every show?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AxB said:

WWE's never really done a dedicated mercenary/hitman gimmick. i feel like there would be real legs to that.

34 minutes ago, twiztor said:

WWE's never really done a dedicated mercenary/hitman gimmick. i feel like there would be real legs to that.

Well, there's the APA who were for hire supposedly. We've seen plenty of Bounty angles, but not in WWE, so Vince must think they're a Southern Rasslin' thing. Bret never leaned in to his Hitman nickname, certainly. 'El Sicario' Ricky Martinez in MLW does, but you said WWE.

51 minutes ago, twiztor said:

During the Authority angle, the Shield were pretty much presented as mercenaries.

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well, there's the APA who were for hire supposedly. We've seen plenty of Bounty angles, but not in WWE, so Vince must think they're a Southern Rasslin' thing. 

24/7 titles are in effect the WWE-ized version of a bounty angle. 

I think the last actual bounty angle WWE did was HHH putting out a bounty on...Goldberg, maybe? This was back in the dreadful Evolution days when HHH was cosplaying some sort of Harley Race/Ric Flair hybrid without a scintilla of the aura of toughness or the charisma, respectively. I digress, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, alstein said:

I thought fruit and stuff was much higher in the UK.

I'm not sure what stuff is, if it's miso I assure you it doesn't cost 9 dollars. No way fruit is cheaper. A lot of supermarket fruit is pretty terrible mind you, I'm currently in Paris getting a nice sugar high off some apricots, figs and cherries from a street market which are a class above anything in an UK supermarket (I just watched a 4K rendering of The Shining on a 300m2 screen in a massive art deco cinema for 6 Euros as well, so I win basically). But supermarket fruit is not especially expensive .

UK has cheaper groceries than most tbh - Bulgaria is cheaper for basics, but you want anything remotely fancy and it's more expensive. Bangkok supermarkets are a similar story. UK is (currently) cheap for food due to (among other things) keen competition between supermarkets. I've been in a few US states and a few different supermarkets, including a fairly ghetto one in El Serrano, an Aldi in Chicago, an indy in NOLA, and Publixs (Publices?) in GA, couple of Trader Joe's, WalMart in Athens GA - I know what shit costs.

And bear in mind, you can barely buy fruit downtown in many US cities (outside of WholeFoods maybe, but let's not go there). And if you have to buy food at a convenience store, the prices are insane. Whereas our supermarkets have scaled down 'Metro' branches that may add 5-10% to prices and offer a more curated range, but essentially you can buy groceries in Central London in a way that is unfathomable in many a US city (and let's not even get started on WholeFoods).

Edited by ComingToAmerica

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

Wasn't that what the Stalker gimmick (Barry Windham in late 96) was supposed to be? Or was he supposed to be a hunter?

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Call me a “Mark”, but I thought the Stalker was cool. I also thought Glacier was cool too. So what the fuck do I know?

In concept, the Stalker gimmick was cool. Bloated, out of shape Barry Windham was the wrong guy for it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie