DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I just heard on WOL that they are advertising Baron Corbin Vs. Seth Rollins in a tables match for Extreme Rules.

AHAHAHAHAHA!

WWE loves extended programmes. I can honestly see that stipulation used to put the WWE Universal Championship on Baron Corbin without Seth Rollins getting pinned/submitted. Examples: Sheamus vs. John Cena at Extreme Rules 2009, Big Show vs. Cody Rhodes at Extreme Rules 2012 and Becky Lynch vs. Alexa Bliss at TLC 2016.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

It still amazes me that Extreme Rules is the watered down version of what the first ECW One Night Stand was. Like if you told me that only a few short years later ONS would evolve into a tame ppv like Extreme Rules, I'd think we all would laugh.

or cry, depending on your perspective.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I'd imagine any foreign wrestler who comes here is shocked at how much their home foods cost. Think of the Mexican wrestlers having to pay $14 for 3 street tacos for instance...

The price of groceries in USA was shocking even to me as a Brit. Soda and six packs are cheaper, after that....you peeps are getting the Joan Collins special and no mistake.

20 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I'd imagine any foreign wrestler who comes here is shocked at how much their home foods cost. Think of the Mexican wrestlers having to pay $14 for 3 street tacos for instance...

$4.50 taco?? A taco should be at most $2.50.

The only time I ever see a $4 taco is when you're in a gentrified tourist trap. The worlds driest handmade blue corn tortillas and the blandest carne asada in the history of tacos. 

• Like 1

We were talking about Battle Dome and WMAC in the photo thread and it got me wondering: has there been an exhaustive book/paper on the history of worked competitions and their analogies to pro wrestling? And why is it that the pro wrestling form of worked competition in particular has been the one that has thrived (more or less) for 100 years?

Roller derby is an obvious one that I know we’ve discussed many times. Worked shoot style. Worked “sports entertainment” style TV shows such as martial arts-style WMAC. Early TV era game shows. I’ll spare the “pro sports” and “politics” jokes, but surely I am forgetting multiple other examples of this. And, of them all, what is it about pro wrestling that made it the most successful? The early TV game shows were certainly successful, but once their kayfabe died they were rejected by the audience. That didn’t happen to pro wrestling.

I dunno. Seems like an interesting topic.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

@For Great Justice It’s all in the presentation that you have to thank the pioneers of the “sport” who laid down the foundation for it. Those pioneers being a bunch of fucking carnies that figured out that it was easier to fake a Greco Roman wrestling match over a boxing match.

Fake martial arts like WMAC was based around stunt men who were used in cheesy DTV movies, and told to do the same thing in a worked sporting event. Nobody bought it. Not with the UFC coming around the same time. Although looking back they could’ve had something if it was done with the same pro wrestling character presentation, but “combat” operated in the UWF style. Now that could’ve lasted the test of time.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dana Brooke posted some post incident photos

Reveal hidden contents

If she was still conscious, and could pass a concussion protocol, they could’ve have  let her kept going. 

On another note... The WWE needs to get better at covering for hardway blood. Maybe have a “cut man” on the sidelines who treats wounds, and have the announcers explain it. That wound be a better solution to this. I mean that’s what they almost essentially do, but just dress it up better. The whole slight of hand with the ref, and the magic cloth is such a buzz kill.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

What's a "wiliding"?

I bet it's something to do with the low blow sound effect in Fire Pro. You hit someone in the willy, and it goes ding.

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

What's a "wiliding"?

I bet it's something to do with the low blow sound effect in Fire Pro. You hit someone in the willy, and it goes ding.

Game of Thrones.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If she was still conscious, and could pass a concussion protocol, they could’ve have  let her kept going. 

On another note... The WWE needs to get better at covering for hardway blood. Maybe have a “cut man” on the sidelines who treats wounds, and have the announcers explain it. That wound be a better solution to this. I mean that’s what they almost essentially do, but just dress it up better. The whole slight of hand with the ref, and the magic cloth is such a buzz kill.

Concussions are a funny thing and the referee isn't a doctor.  It's not worth fucking up her brain for life.