DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I think that's the trouble - there isn't really an argument that the mid-90's tag scene was better, just some hyperbole tossed out. There were like four total tag teams at any given time. Modern day WWE has more than four tag team *titles*. You could even make the argument that each respective brand is still better than the mid-90's.

Name me a tag angle in the past year more famous than Sunny & The Godwins.

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Andrade just tweeted out that his aunt just passed away as well. God damn that sucks for him. 

Jesus. What a terrible time Andrade Almas is going through. Love to him, his family and friends xxx.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/best-wwe-moment-category-added-espy-awards-286331

So the ESPN ESPY’s will have a best WWE Moment category now.

This, the Tyson Fury stuff, and the cracking down on their own investigative journalists. The world itself has reached the levels of WCW in the year 2000.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

49 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/best-wwe-moment-category-added-espy-awards-286331

So the ESPN ESPY’s will have a best WWE Moment category now.

This, the Tyson Fury stuff, and the cracking down on their own investigative journalists. The world itself has reached the levels of WCW in the year 2000.

My vote goes to Tyson Fury fucking channeling The Undertaker sitting up in the 12th round like he did.

With the Super Showdown thread closed I thought it was worth mentioning here that there's a UN report that formally links the Saudi Crown Prince to the Khashoggi murder.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out and also how it'll affect WWE's future shows with them.  https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/19/middleeast/khashoggi-saudi-arabia-report-intl/index.html  

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Name me a tag angle in the past year more famous than Sunny & The Godwins.

What is this angle you speak of? I have been watching for around 20 years and have never heard of it which should probably tell you something on how famous you think it is.

Sunny pretended to like Phenius, cost them a match, was mean to him, and he eventually dumped the slop bucket on her. I'm not sure how that is supposed to prove 1990's tag wrestling is better than the Usos vs The Revival, but to each their own. 

On 6/18/2019 at 10:03 AM, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

My take on/explanation for the top rope move/move to a downed opponent instead of just pinning them has always been that wrestlers are intrinsically conditioned to kick out of any pin attempt, so just because they're laying on their back for 3, 5, 10 or more seconds, it doesn't mean they're not going to kick out of a pin attempt. That's why the kill shot makes sense to me.

There's also the fact that to break a pinfall you only need to lift one shoulder a centimetre off the mat, To dodge a diving attack you need to move your whole body. It's not completely absurd to suggest you might have the energy to do one but not the other.

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Austin has since called him and they're cool.

I knew I should have posted about it here instead of the podcast thread. 

Sorry I missed your post. Can't remember when I last went in that thread as I rarely listen to any podcasts. Apologies.

Edited by The Natural

r/SquaredCircle is gross, but I am gonna link this here because the guy who did it should get credit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/c2g80b/every_wwe_superstar_currently_signed_excluding_pc/.compact

So I thought to myself, that's gotta be way more dudes than WCW at it's most bloated, Kendall Windham ass, paying-Lanny-to-sit-at-home finest, right? I was quickly skimming through DDT Digest results and @Hoarr's site a bit, and then I eventually found this:

http://www.solie.org/wcw97.txt

By December 1997, they were at "only" 99. I feel like this might've been the peak of it, maybe 1998 but in any case, I'm honestly kind of flabbergasted. I honestly didn't realize how truly, truly massive WWE's roster is. There were some NXT and UK guys I didn't even know about, and I like to think I'm pretty savvy. Plus, this guys list doesn't even take into account the guys and gals at the PC. 

It just really, really sucks how many people could potentially be wasted, especially with the reports about these new 5 year deals. I understand the talent hoarding from the business perspective of harming potential competition. I very much fucking disagree with it as a pro-wrestling fan. It's like the one downside to what is right now a pretty exciting time. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1