DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Tonight's SDL ratings grab... well sorta since they would need to announce it first.

SDL Spoiler maybe???

Reveal hidden contents

Haven’t they been teasing this since mid-February?!

16 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

This is also the problem with every top rope move to a downed opponent in wrestling history though, wrestling just has intrinsically weird logic around how the human body responds to accumulated damage. Doesn't make any irl sense but it's great for building tension

I don't know if it's always unconditionally bad to make your opponent look stupid. Like when Naito does his "actually no I can't be bothered to lock up yet" stroll or the tranquilo flop, somebody could easily drop him with a straight right but, like OC, it's often done nearer the start of the match and the opponent is kind of confounded/thrown off their game/momentarily paralysed by irritation. In Naito's case it makes him seem like a dick who likes mind games, with OC it's usually at the expensive of the local pompous heel. Most of the OC stuff I've seen has had the payoff of him busting out some genuinely impressive stuff that surprises his opponent later. I guess also the fact that his "casual" stuff is genuinely skilled in execution makes people feel they're not being taken for idiots as well, it's just a different kind of athleticism

AEW do need to be a bit careful with how they use him though, integrating that act into a nominally "serious" promotion with TV, ongoing continuity, a stated commitment to seeming like a sports product - different kettle of fish to light relief in matches at an indie show

I like Orange Cassidy's gimmick myself, but I think it would work better in a structured enviroment like WWE or AEW than on the indie circuit. You could build some character development there. He starts out, standing there, not giving a crap, match after match, inexplicably becoming more and more popular with his antics. Then, he's suddenly no longer in there with low to mid card goofballs, but with the elite of the company, who are more than willing to kick his trifling ass. Then he has to fight.

Beyond pretty much did this with OC vs. Starr. I loved that match, and would work in a more long form program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I hope that means they are taking the belts off the IIconics.

Ugh...I hope not. Shafir might be ready, but I don't think Duke is. She's very awkward looking in the ring. Nothing she does looks natural. It all looks very uncomfortable and uncoordinated.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ugh...I hope not. Shafir might be ready, but I don't think Duke is. She's very awkward looking in the ring. Nothing she does looks natural. It all looks very uncomfortable and uncoordinated.

At least Duke has a real excuse for being unready. She’s a novice. What the hell is Billie’s excuse for being awful in there?

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

At least Duke has a real excuse for being unready. She’s a novice. What the hell is Billie’s excuse for being awful in there?

She makes up for with personality and the character work.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

She makes up for with personality and the character work.

It won’t matter who’s holding those belts anyway. Vince hates tag wrestling. He’ll maybe do something with them in a blue moon, and you hope that the personality based teams with can work like The New Day did. The IIconics are no New Day, though. I’d rather the unpredictable MMA women get a hold of them, and hope Rhonda has enough pull to get them more TV time.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t know what’s worse. The WWF’s tag team division of the mid 90’s, or the WWE’s current tag divisions? At least the WWF had the better geeks with the New Rockers. 

Daniel Bryan on his own over the mid WWF '90s tag teams. However I miss Daniel Bryan in the main event picture as WWE Champion.

Usos, Revival, New Day. The talent in the tag division is still better than pretty much anywhere else* (except for LAX, who might be #2 behind the Usos for me). Just need to give them the time they keep using for Lashley and Baron. 

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If we're seriously having this discussion, then WWE's so stale these days that we take the consistency of the Usos for granted.

In this argument The Uso's are The Smoking Gunns of this generation. ?

I'd love to have a Quebecer's.. or an Owen & Davey.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know how well that match will hold up these days, but in the moment it was the best WWE women's match in years.

It holds up pretty well. AJ bumps big while Kaitlyn hits some big power moves (the story was that AJ had embarrassed Kaitlyn with a fake secret admirer, so Kaitlyn was fired up), before her anger causes her to make one mistake that AJ capitalizes on. Good match. 

What happened with Kaitlyn BTW? Made a brief comeback last year for the MYC then vanished again. She looked really good in that comeback, would have liked to have seen it continue 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

It holds up pretty well. AJ bumps big while Kaitlyn hits some big power moves (the story was that AJ had embarrassed Kaitlyn with a fake secret admirer, so Kaitlyn was fired up), before her anger causes her to make one mistake that AJ capitalizes on. Good match. 

What happened with Kaitlyn BTW? Made a brief comeback last year for the MYC then vanished again. She looked really good in that comeback, would have liked to have seen it continue 

I think Kaitlyn became a fitness model. Not entirely sure.

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If we're seriously having this discussion

I think that's the trouble - there isn't really an argument that the mid-90's tag scene was better, just some hyperbole tossed out. There were like four total tag teams at any given time. Modern day WWE has more than four tag team *titles*. You could even make the argument that each respective brand is still better than the mid-90's.