DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

9 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

EC3 Is literally the epitome of "we hired him so no one else  can have him."  He had ONE NXT show where he got to react with the crowd...and yeah, that thing you are good at...stop.  

I legitimately thought he'd be one of those rare guys actually better off on the main roster.

Clearly, I'm an idiot

I'm not a fan of EC3 but I'm with everyone else just baffled how this dude is used. Mr. Fowler said it perfectly. Dude is jacked to the gills, can form coherent sentences and has a rich asshole gimmick? Vince LOVES this kind of thing and EC3 has done less then jack shit. I would love to hear the stupid Vince reason for why he gave up on him so fast.

And I would also like to cosign Zakk_Sabbath's idea of Roode(hey, remember when they were trying to push him for about 5 minutes?) and EC3 as a rich asshole tag team. It's better then the bunch of nothing they doing now

• Like 2

In hindsight I'm not surprised.

Impact was the biggest competition Vince has seen since WCW. Look how he treated "their" guys when they signed with WWE.

Somehow AJ bucked the trend but for the most part it's been the same old story of "If Vince didn't make you then you aren't worth shit in WWE."

The main roster is legit poison now.

If I'm Kushida, Punishment, Keith Lee etc I'm staying in NXT to up my rate for when I go back to Japan/Indy bookings.

Fuck, KENTA was booked like shit for years in NXT/205 & look at the hype for him jumping to NJPW.

For all the talk of an Adam Cole main roster run being backed by HHH if Vince thinks the guy is a tiny little punk then Lars is killing the dude dead.

• Like 1

Happy Father's Day!
While, I've always been partial to THAT Dusty promo with Dustin...an underrated and oftentimes forgotten one (due to it happening on the lesser Ft. Worth TV) was the confrontation between Fritz Von Erich and Michael Hayes where the 'Birds demand to know the mystery partner for the boys at Texas Stadium after David's death.
Go out of your way to find it on Youtube...it's great.

"It's going to be the next man that busts you between the eyes..."   <BAM>
"If there's any further doubt in your mind, I'll see you May 6th on Badstreet!"

Crowd goes banana.

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Fuck, KENTA was booked like shit for years in NXT/205 & look at the hype for him jumping to NJPW.

It's not NXT's fault. They were looking to push him even before Finn Balor signed. He got hurt. They tried again with some matches against Ohno and Black. KENTA got hurt again. When he broke Kendrick's eye socket with his signature move that many associate more with CM Punk, he was pretty much done. 

It's a shame it NXT/205 Live didn't go better for KENTA, but it wasn't because they didn't take him seriously.

The whole "they treat outsiders like garbage on the main roster" rhetoric holds no water, anyway. The homegrown guys are the exception these days, not the rule. The women are probably more even split.

• Like 2

Vince just sucks at maintaining a stars credibility these days. Seriously I was joking about AEW pulling a WrestleMania 2 by having multiple locations for All Out. The WWE if they weren’t so gun shy of having big-time stars again, could in fact have multiple WrestleMania’s on different continents at the same time with their population of 1,000 talented wrestlers. But they are so purposely incompetent about it.

Jon Moxley after only a few weeks on the indies, and Japan has looked like the genuine modern superstar Steve Austin we all thought he could be. But the company was so gung-ho about downgrading him to goofy sidekick status, and making his heel rival even goofier. They could’ve had that modern Austin for themselves, but they were like “No, we’re good with what we have”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

Technically EC3 is a WWE home-grown guy though. He was Derrick Bateman on the talent contest era of NXT, with Johnny Curtis and Lucky Cannon and them. Then they let him go, and TNA repackaged him, gave him a push and he got Superstar over. The fact that he's now basically Derrick Bateman again says more about the company than the man himself, I reckon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

I'm not a fan of EC3 but I'm with everyone else just baffled how this dude is used. Mr. Fowler said it perfectly. Dude is jacked to the gills, can form coherent sentences and has a rich asshole gimmick? Vince LOVES this kind of thing and EC3 has done less then jack shit. I would love to hear the stupid Vince reason for why he gave up on him so fast.

And I would also like to cosign Zakk_Sabbath's idea of Roode(hey, remember when they were trying to push him for about 5 minutes?) and EC3 as a rich asshole tag team. It's better then the bunch of nothing they doing now

It’s 2019 not 1985. It takes a bit more then being jacked and pretending to be rich to get Vince’s dander up these days. 

So I’ve gotten the Independent Wrestling TV streaming service. It’s pretty awesome so far. Since it’s got most of the CZW tape library up I wanted to check it out. So CZW fanboys, what is in your opinion the best CZW Cage of Death matches? I remember watching one non ROH/CZW Cage of Death years ago, and thinking it was cool. But I never dipped my toes back in to see if there was anymore good stuff.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I’ve gotten the Independent Wrestling TV streaming service. It’s pretty awesome so far. 

CZW fanboys, what is in your opinion the best CZW Cage of Death matches? I remember watching one non ROH/CZW Cage of Death years ago, and thinking it was cool. But I never dipped my toes back in to see if there was anymore good stuff.

Nothing tops ROH vs. CZW Cage of Death at ROH Death Before Dishonor 2006. Perfectly booked that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

giphy.gif

"Performer who did all his growing elsewhere is homegrown. More at 11." 

If you think EC3 did all his growing outside of WWE, it's time for you to go back and rewatch the old NXT stuff with Johnny Curtis. 

39 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I’ve gotten the Independent Wrestling TV streaming service. It’s pretty awesome so far. Since it’s got most of the CZW tape library up I wanted to check it out. So CZW fanboys, what is in your opinion the best CZW Cage of Death matches? I remember watching one non ROH/CZW Cage of Death years ago, and thinking it was cool. But I never dipped my toes back in to see if there was anymore good stuff.

I just signed up for it as well. I love it so far. I was watching the most recent Beyond Wrestling show on there last night.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I just signed up for it as well. I love it so far. I was watching the most recent Beyond Wrestling show on there last night.

Been thinking of getting it just for Beyond. I hate that they tape on Wednesdays because it doesn't jive with my work/family hours, so I already have this over-arching feeling of missing a good thing. Maybe watching it on my TV will alleviate that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zartan said:

It’s 2019 not 1985. It takes a bit more then being jacked and pretending to be rich to get Vince’s dander up these days. 

Being a really good promo is part of it as well.

I mean, Vince is pushing Baron Corbin, apparently because he's kinda tall

43 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Been thinking of getting it just for Beyond. I hate that they tape on Wednesdays because it doesn't jive with my work/family hours, so I already have this over-arching feeling of missing a good thing. Maybe watching it on my TV will alleviate that?

It's probably worth it just for Beyond. I want to try to get back into Chikara. I love the amount of different promotions on there. 

• Like 2

Help me out here, who was the guy that did a version of Hulkamania (obviously not called Hulkamania) before Hogan came around with it in the AWA?  I'm not talking about Superstar Billy Graham but I remember reading about a guy that had a gimmick that Hulkamania was based on.