DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Yeah, really. If you ever saw the last (I think) DVD he put out or that MTV special about his breakdown, there's no way he should be alive. He was addicted to whippets for fuck's sake, doing snooters of coke on airline flights and filming it.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, really. If you ever saw the last (I think) DVD he put out or that MTV special about his breakdown, there's no way he should be alive. He was addicted to whippets for fuck's sake, doing snooters of coke on airline flights and filming it.

I saw the MTV special. His 2016 stand-up special "Guilty as Charged" is really fucking good and funny as hell.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:00 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My best friend, who has been clean since 2012 used to be a waiter at Buffalo Wild Wings. He said the kitchen and wait staff all were doing dope there. 

In my pre-funeral jobs, I used to do blow in the bathrooms.

Honestly, in kitchen work, it's harder to find a non-user than a user. Just before I overdosed last year, I was hiding in the bathroom doing all sorts of hard drugs before smoking sausages for hours and then closing the bar down with all the regular customers. I think that the nature of this type of work just draws this type of behavior. Doesn't help that a lot of us are felons and that's the only real job we can get. Add in long hours and the fact that our days are a series of high stress situations during rushes and then huge down periods and then another rush, rinse, wash, repeat and drugs and alcohol become a common way to blow off steam.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Honestly, in kitchen work, it's harder to find a non-user than a user. Just before I overdosed last year, I was hiding in the bathroom doing all sorts of hard drugs before smoking sausages for hours and then closing the bar down with all the regular customers. I think that the nature of this type of work just draws this type of behavior. Doesn't help that a lot of us are felons and that's the only real job we can get. Add in long hours and the fact that our days are a series of high stress situations during rushes and then huge down periods and then another rush, rinse, wash, repeat and drugs and alcohol become a common way to blow off steam.

I believe it. My father, whom I inherited the addiction gene from is a chef. 

My best friend is a bar manager now. Despite being around alcohol all day, he hasn't gone back to drinking either.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

For the uninitiated I recommend reading Kitchen Confidential by the late, great Anthony Bourdain (RIP my friend). It'll fill in any blanks you have. 

Re: Your friend Eddie, some of us are just lucky I guess -- one of my best friends was a stone junkie for years (of anything, but particularly dope) yet has worked at a bar now for two years and stayed clean the whole time, while also heading a recovery group. I don't know how it's possible. His ex ODing probably had a lot to do with it but still. 

• Like 4

When I moved to Colorado in 2006, I swore "No more blow." Then I got a job DJing at a Strip Club so that went out the window. The toilet lids at that place saw a lot of action. 

And to bring it back to wrestling, I didn't announce in typical strip club voice. I growled and gave promos and used a lot of Dusty/ Superstar/ Rude, etc. lines.

" She looks good and moves even better, she makes a burlap sack look like a cashmere sweater...make some noise for the sexy Deja!" might have been said more than once.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

To add, I worked there for seven years, full time for four months and part time for the rest of the time. As a wrestling fan, it didn't take me long to realize I was in the most similar business I'd ever get to. 

Selling fantasy as reality to marks we all hated for the most part?  In a low rent part of show biz ? I learned all that shit on Saturday morning TV. 

• Like 5

He's had chances to shine elsewhere. He seemed mediocre in Impact, despite being pushed as one of the top stars for his whole run.

27 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I'm the minority, but I loved his Impact run and thought he was great his whole time there. And that's why it's depressing that he has been so utterly wasted ever since. I feel similar about EC3

EC3 was easily one of my favorite people in Impact for a while. I had high hopes for a WWE run but, yeah, obviously those won't be realized. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I’m surprised they resigned in all honestly. If AEW wasn’t looking at them I find it hard to believe ROH and Impact didn’t make offers. 

I thought we were gonna see Mike Bennett return to ROH at BITW either costing Taven the title or helping Taven retain the title. Him and Maria seemed done in the tweets they’ve sent out in the past months.

• Like 1

If the lay of the land is that everyone who's WWE deal is expiring is getting a big money offer to stay (and Shawn Spears claims he was offered a huge raise), can't blame them for following the money. Especially if it's a big downside and every chance they won't actually have to do that many dates.

• Like 1

I know I've said it before, but I still can't believe they gave up on EC3 that quick. A guy built like that who can talk, with a modern Million Dollar Man gimmick? Seems like someone Vince would have pushed way too hard way too fast.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I know I've said it before, but I still can't believe they gave up on EC3 that quick. A guy built like that who can talk, with a modern Million Dollar Man gimmick? Seems like someone Vince would have pushed way too hard way too fast.

I'd love to see EC3 and Roode in a rich assholes tag team

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

EC3 had the misfortune of coming up at a time when he and no one else were really originally intended to. Lars is the only guy they had actual plans for. Lacey lucked out on being a much needed fresh face in a division killed by focus on only three women for half a year. heavy Machinery have only just gotten something going for them recently.