DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The Fabulous Ones shit on that as far as "We're Gay" segments goes. 

Steve Keirn's review of that probably goes "Shit, how over the top can you get? Stan and me, we knew how to do it with some subtlety. Sure we were working out together in our speedos, but there was still some ambiguity. See, that's back when guys knew how to work."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

"Chuckleheads" hahaha

I didn't know that "Chuckleheads" was a slur. Was that a street thing done by fake pimps?

And now my brain has gone to the idea of a low rent Indy where a Ratso Rizzo rip-off manages a Joe Buck rip-off with the nickname, "The Midnight Cowboy."

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The Fabulous Ones shit on that as far as "We're Gay" segments goes. 

Steve Keirn's review of that probably goes "Shit, how over the top can you get? Stan and me, we knew how to do it with some subtlety. Sure we were working out together in our speedos, but there was still some ambiguity. See, that's back when guys knew how to work."

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Amazingly, Stan Lane just mindmelded with me and told me his take on that.

It was something like, " Well look at that. Shit, not only are these assholes ripping us off, they're doing it low fucking rent. Now I'm sure those two boys like to fuck each other. But all I see is a gang of marks. See, back in the day, we knew how to work.  Steve and I knew what you wear in a gym while working out together as a probably gay couple and tag team partners. And it wasn't wigs. It was old school."

Fantasy shoot interviews is now an idea I'm going to definitely use on the podcast I'm part of. Thanks, guys.

• Haha 1

I did not tell this as part of my write-up from the Richmond con:

I was standing at the MX table talking to Cornette. I mentioned a very unPC promo Jim did once that ended with the phrase "happy ending."

At which Stan raises his head up from signing and says "did someone say happy ending?" 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

From the Observer Daily Update...

The knee injury to Lars Sullivan that kept him off SmackDown Tuesday is worse than originally believed. There are no definitive details until he undergoes an MRI, but it doesn't look like a small thing and he'll be back Monday at this point.

That doesn't make any sense.  His injury is worse than expected so as a result he'll be on RAW?  What?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

About Jericho: he literally believes Benoit was actually possessed by an honest to God demon at the time of the murders. Nothing else he says is going to lower my opinion of his ability to handle rational thought.

(Granted, I can kinda understand wanting to come up with some way to absolve a longtime friend and colleague, but demon possession?)

Jericho is a heavy evangelical (I'm reluctant to call evangelicals Christians anymore) - he got it from his time in WCW and the influence of Sting.   Also, Jericho and Benoit were very close, so throw those together, and if it gives Jericho some piece of mind to believe a demon was in Benoit when he did it- I can sympathize.  I think it was CTE.

Edited by alstein

I'm guessing it's back to the gigantic knee braces for Lars.

Maybe, I don't know, stop doing dumb shit off the top rope like diving headbutts and splashes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

I just assumed that WWE and the Golden State Warriors share a medical team.

...too soon?

Oooooh baby, if you like watching people take a shit on camera because of Z-Gangsta Pak over dosage, then we got the wrestling show for you.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ace said:

Let's be honest, WWE as a whole trying to glom onto Pride is unpleasant. They've literally never pushed an out LGBT superstar. 

It is unpleasant that WWE would glom onto it considering they still champion Warrior who was a piece of shit among other things (I don't have a Warrior shirt but if I did I likely would have had a similar moment @MonteCarl had)  But in my attempt to separate the shithead(s) at the top from those I care about I really appreciated that they had a platform at all to speak out about what Pride month means to them.  It's unfortunate who they work for but there's some really amazing people that I think the world of who work there.  Maybe it would have been better if they had that platform on a show or site that covers LGBTQ issues but for this instance I'm gonna turn off the cynical side of me.  As far as not pushing anybody that is true but even if you want to say it was PR stunt it was really cool seeing Finn at last year's WM walk out with the group and Pride colors on the screen (yes, I know he's not gay).  Seeing that live was something special and was something my friend really appreciated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

After listening to Bruce talk about Vince and hear how much Vince doesn't like beards and tattoos, I now wonder if Vince just heard about the War Raiders, called them up, saw that they were two guys not shaped like models with a bunch of tattoos and beards, and after a few weeks he shelved them because he and/or Dunn doesn't like seeing them.

Same goes for Aleister Black. Like the most Vince will allow for him is to cut promos from a folding chair each week.

16 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

I'm just going to put this here because I feel like it and it amuses me but I think one of the women in one of the major US companies should be obsessed with Garfield.  Maybe someone like Dana Brooke could go to catering and always demand lasagna, and she could also sleep in a box with a blanket and a teddy bear.  She would then need to be woken up for her match.  Her promos would also be just her thinking sarcastic things about her opponents, and she'd never actually speak with her mouth.  Also, she'd refuse to work on RAW because she hates Mondays.  That is all.

Dana is from Ohio, so she's more likely to be obsessed with President James A. Garfield.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Craig H said:

After listening to Bruce talk about Vince and hear how much Vince doesn't like beards and tattoos...

So that's why Hogan didn't grow a full beard until he was in the NWO or get tattoos until he was in TNA.

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I am not sure if you have seen it yet, but one of the Heart Breakers/Heart Throbs is having a career revival in Beyond Wrestling. Thomas Santell has gotten insanely over with his current gimmick of basically being nerdy George McFly (both in look, clumsiness as entering the ring to his entrance theme of "Earth Angel", and promo) but then once the bell rings he becomes a badass Timothy Thatcher-type technical wrestler. 

Worth checking out the development on the weekly Uncharted Territory series that Beyond has on IWTV. Week one the fans were derisively chanting "NERD" when he first came out and by the end of the match were triumphantly chanting the word like the end of "Revenge of the Nerds."

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Nattie already does the cat ears. 

Boring personal story time: my girlfriend played me a clip of this really overdramatic, overblown, obviously worked Total Divas episode where they're all on vacation fighting over who gets what bedrooms. Nattie, out of left field, after not even really being in the conversation just chimes in, deadpan: "Settle down, Lana." Became a little bit of an inside joke with us, and now that's her whole gimmick as far as my girlfriend's concerned. She chants "settle down" at the TV during her matches and always plays as Nattie in 2k19-- even put her character in a "Settle Down" t-shirt, and refers to the sharpshooter as "the Settler." 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I am not sure if you have seen it yet, but one of the Heart Breakers/Heart Throbs is having a career revival in Beyond Wrestling. Thomas Santell has gotten insanely over with his current gimmick of basically being nerdy George McFly (both in look, clumsiness as entering the ring to his entrance theme of "Earth Angel", and promo) but then once the bell rings he becomes a badass Timothy Thatcher-type technical wrestler. 

Worth checking out the development on the weekly Uncharted Territory series that Beyond has on IWTV. Week one the fans were derisively chanting "NERD" when he first came out and by the end of the match were triumphantly chanting the word like the end of "Revenge of the Nerds."

I heard about that but need to see how he's doing.  He also has a sports podcast on F4W called "I left my heart in Greg Polanco"  I listened to it a time or two and it seemed pretty neat.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Boring personal story time: my girlfriend played me a clip of this really overdramatic, overblown, obviously worked Total Divas episode where they're all on vacation fighting over who gets what bedrooms. Nattie, out of left field, after not even really being in the conversation just chimes in, deadpan: "Settle down, Lana." Became a little bit of an inside joke with us, and now that's her whole gimmick as far as my girlfriend's concerned. She chants "settle down" at the TV during her matches and always plays as Nattie in 2k19-- even put her character in a "Settle Down" t-shirt, and refers to the sharpshooter as "the Settler." 

FWIW I can kind of relate.  Years ago on the first season of Tough Enough one of the female tryouts was shown burping a lot and after each one would say "Diva".  It was so stupid but my then-girlfriend-now-wife would adopt that for about a year.  Sometimes it's the oddest random shit that will get people.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
I need more coffee.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I heard about that but need to see how he's doing.  I heard that Antonio Thomas still does some wrestling though not like Santell does.  Plus he has a sports podcast on F4W called "I left my heart in Greg Polanco"  I listened to it a time or two and it seemed pretty neat.

FWIW, Antonio Thomas is Thomas Santell. 

6 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

FWIW, Antonio Thomas is Thomas Santell. 

D'oh!  And of course after you mentioned that I remember the other guy was Romeo Roselli.  In that case I'm not sure what happened to him.