DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Strangely, they don't. They have a daughter called Holly.

If your surname was James, would you name your kid Jesse/Jessie? I totally would. But my surname isn't James.

My friend that passed away in 2006 was Jesse James Hall. Not quite the same, but close.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I'm just going to put this here because I feel like it and it amuses me but I think one of the women in one of the major US companies should be obsessed with Garfield.  Maybe someone like Dana Brooke could go to catering and always demand lasagna, and she could also sleep in a box with a blanket and a teddy bear.  She would then need to be woken up for her match.  Her promos would also be just her thinking sarcastic things about her opponents, and she'd never actually speak with her mouth.  Also, she'd refuse to work on RAW because she hates Mondays.  That is all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I'm just going to put this here because I feel like it and it amuses me but I think one of the women in one of the major US companies should be obsessed with Garfield.  Maybe someone like Dana Brooke could go to catering and always demand lasagna, and she could also sleep in a box with a blanket and a teddy bear.  She would then need to be woken up for her match.  Her promos would also be just her thinking sarcastic things about her opponents, and she'd never actually speak with her mouth.  Also, she'd refuse to work on RAW because she hates Mondays.  That is all.

Chad Gable can be the John Arbuckle who is the only one that sees her after he had his psychotic breakdown.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Let's be honest, WWE as a whole trying to glom onto Pride is unpleasant. They've literally never pushed an out LGBT superstar. 

How many have there been? Darren Young and Sonya Deville are the only two that come to mind. And Pat Patterson was a top guy, (no pun intended but I'm still using it), for Vince Sr. This is from 79- 83, right around the time Vince Jr. may not have been the boss, but he had power especially around 83.

And I know Pat wasn't out as his tv character, but he was out in real life.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

How many have there been? Darren Young and Sonya Deville are the only two that come to mind. And Pat Patterson was a top guy, (no pun intended but I'm still using it), for Vince Sr. This is from 79- 83, right around the time Vince Jr. may not have been the boss, but he had power especially around 83.

And I know Pat wasn't out as his tv character, but he was out in real life.

Even beyond that, it's still a bit different because WWE hasn't even gone there.

Even beyond whether they get pushed or not,  for Darren Young's run it was a plot point, and WWE themselves made it a plot point,  that Fred Rosser was openly gay, but the character "Darren Young" was not. It says something that today's WWE.com article about Deville being out and using her name was also a step forward, as it's the first inclination in any way, shape, or form that the character "Sonya Deville" is a lesbian as well. 

Even beyond a push for an openly LGBT+ performer would be a second step away, the baby step of "an openly LGBT+ performer is allowed to play a character that shares the identity the performer has." 

About Jericho: he literally believes Benoit was actually possessed by an honest to God demon at the time of the murders. Nothing else he says is going to lower my opinion of his ability to handle rational thought.

(Granted, I can kinda understand wanting to come up with some way to absolve a longtime friend and colleague, but demon possession?)

• Like 3

From the Observer Daily Update...

The knee injury to Lars Sullivan that kept him off SmackDown Tuesday is worse than originally believed. There are no definitive details until he undergoes an MRI, but it doesn't look like a small thing and he'll be back Monday at this point.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

About Jericho: he literally believes Benoit was actually possessed by an honest to God demon at the time of the murders. Nothing else he says is going to lower my opinion of his ability to handle rational thought.

(Granted, I can kinda understand wanting to come up with some way to absolve a longtime friend and colleague, but demon possession?)

At least he doesn't believe Kevin Sullivan murdered Benoit, Nancy, and Daniel.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I mean, that's obviously crazy... But at least it doesn't require an actual fucking demon.

Just a heads up/reminder for anyone in the Dallas TX area, the upcoming first week of July is filled with the pro wres, big shows & locals.

Mon. July 1: WWE RAW (American Airlines Center)
Wed. July 3: King of Sports Championship Wrestling (Deep Ellum Art Company)
Fri. July 5: VIP Fight For Dallas (Cryme Tyme v. Hart Foundation v. OGz, Cabana, Joey Ryan, AR Fox, etc) (Haltom City Theatre)
Sat. July 6: NJPW G1 Climax Opening Day (American Airlines Center)
Sat. July 6: MPX Wrestling (Event Center in Bedford)
Sun. July 7: Impact Wrestling Slammiversary (Elgin v Cage, Johnny Impact v Rich Swann, etc) (Gilley's Dallas)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Next you're gonna tell me the demon was Abuddah Dein...

nah The Demon was Dale Torborg (son of MLB player turned manager Jeff Torborg)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Just a heads up/reminder for anyone in the Dallas TX area, the upcoming first week of July is filled with the pro wres, big shows & locals.

Mon. July 1: WWE RAW (American Airlines Center)
Wed. July 3: King of Sports Championship Wrestling (Deep Ellum Art Company)
Fri. July 5: VIP Fight For Dallas (Cryme Tyme v. Hart Foundation v. OGz, Cabana, Joey Ryan, AR Fox, etc) (Haltom City Theatre)
Sat. July 6: NJPW G1 Climax Opening Day (American Airlines Center)
Sat. July 6: MPX Wrestling (Event Center in Bedford)
Sun. July 7: Impact Wrestling Slammiversary (Elgin v Cage, Johnny Impact v Rich Swann, etc) (Gilley's Dallas)

Poor Impact.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There was a website called "Justice Fir Benoit" that popped up right after the murders that had that very take.

A few years later a friend and I got a non-paying gig on a live internet radio station with all wrestling shows. We had to set up a website for our show to provide links to our archives so I looked if Justice For Benoit was available, and it was. So, for a year or so we plugged that as our site on air , never selling that it as anything more than a casual website name.

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even beyond that, it's still a bit different because WWE hasn't even gone there.

Even beyond whether they get pushed or not,  for Darren Young's run it was a plot point, and WWE themselves made it a plot point,  that Fred Rosser was openly gay, but the character "Darren Young" was not. It says something that today's WWE.com article about Deville being out and using her name was also a step forward, as it's the first inclination in any way, shape, or form that the character "Sonya Deville" is a lesbian as well. 

Even beyond a push for an openly LGBT+ performer would be a second step away, the baby step of "an openly LGBT+ performer is allowed to play a character that shares the identity the performer has." 

Here's the thing, a gimmick about being out would stink. This is wrestling. Shit, for a long time in WWF, no character was married or had families . You didn't know who liked to fuck who.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Here's the thing, a gimmick about being out would stink.

kenny-omega-kota-ibushi-NJPW.jpg

1*4HQh50yTE1yjZUSrnlrc-w.jpeg

Edited by AxB
  • Like 3