DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

I will say this - Balor is slightly hurt by the fact that Andrade (and Charlotte) are off TV at the moment because Andrade's mother died.

And Viking Raiders are on this week's Main Event... which I don't know if that actually makes it worse or not

I've seen people pointing out that Alison Brie implied in an interview after GLOW Season 1 that one of the pro wrestlers involved made them uncomfortable. Season 2, Carlito was back, but Tyrus had disappeared. So there's probably a pattern of behavior there.

14 minutes ago, w. josh said:

I've seen people pointing out that Alison Brie implied in an interview after GLOW Season 1 that one of the pro wrestlers involved made them uncomfortable. Season 2, Carlito was back, but Tyrus had disappeared. So there's probably a pattern of behavior there.

Who else worked on GLOW? I remember Johnny Impact/Mundo being in one episode. Same with Alex Riley. Chavo Guerrero was doing some coaching I think? 

Anyway, I'm surprised they gave Tyrus the boot so quickly. By most accounts, he fits right in with the culture over at Fox. 

• Like 1

I'd argue being on Main Event is worse. I can't image that show gets many views and anyone who is on there that isn't a random NXT dude working a spot just winds up getting jobber or JAG stink on them.

Of course, everyone is a JAG now.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Who else worked on GLOW? I remember Johnny Impact/Mundo being in one episode. Same with Alex Riley. Chavo Guerrero was doing some coaching I think? 

Anyway, I'm surprised they gave Tyrus the boot so quickly. By most accounts, he fits right in with the culture over at Fox. 

They didn't give him the boot, they gave him his own show.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

What momentum? I like Murphy, but he wasn't super over at all. The best reaction he got at non-Aussie shows was probably against Tozawa and that likely had more to do with Tozawa who has shown the ability to get over decently before. Not saying they couldn't and shouldn't be doing more with Murphy (they should), but he was not getting crazy reactions or anything. 

Maybe I'm just conflating internet love and arena love but during his tenure on 205 Live he was consistently having great matches and he was getting more and more over because of that. It wasn't a tidal wave of momentum but it was enough to surf on if he could've, you know, actually wrestled on TV when he was called up like they did with Ali.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Maybe I'm just conflating internet love and arena love but during his tenure on 205 Live he was consistently having great matches and he was getting more and more over because of that. It wasn't a tidal wave of momentum but it was enough to surf on if he could've, you know, actually wrestled on TV when he was called up like they did with Ali.

Honestly, I feel like Ali only just started to break through recently. That last match with Almas was the best reaction he has gotten so far.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Someone who used to work here attempted to stab a coworker and didn't get fired for it. They did leave voluntarily a little while afterwards, but that was an "if I threaten to leave, they'll beg me to stay and then I shall be invulnerable forevermore" ploy that backfired quite spectacularly. The bosses were new and didn't want to admit they'd made a bad hire, so they gave certain twatheads far too much rope.

Wasn't as bad as the time the boss walked in on a new trainee in the toilet. It was really embarrassing for everyone, she was shooting up with heroin and forgot to lock the door. 

WHERE do you WORK?!

(Note: I used to work in a restaurant that had employees snorting dope in the bathroom. Which was literally three feet inside the kitchen area, a hop skip and jump away from paying customers.)

It comes to mind that anyone reading this thread immediately after the last few things I said in Land of Confusion may find themselves under a misapprehension as to the nature of my employment. However, it's far more interesting for everyone if I encourage this misapprehension than if I correct it.

26 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

WHERE do you WORK?!

(Note: I used to work in a restaurant that had employees snorting dope in the bathroom. Which was literally three feet inside the kitchen area, a hop skip and jump away from paying customers.)

My best friend, who has been clean since 2012 used to be a waiter at Buffalo Wild Wings. He said the kitchen and wait staff all were doing dope there. 

In my pre-funeral jobs, I used to do blow in the bathrooms.

• Like 1

I'm getting super confused with people saying folks are shooting dope and others are saying a logo is dope. 

I'm a driver, do a good amount of trips to the Midwest or NY, but I got no trucker speed. #boringoldguy

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm getting super confused with people saying folks are shooting dope and others are saying a logo is dope. 

I'm a driver, do a good amount of trips to the Midwest or NY, but I got no trucker speed. #boringoldgut

Any lot lizards?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

RE - Joe v Necro, at that time I was lurking around the CZWfans board and the hype for that match in the lead up was incredible.  Ian Rotten was at the peak of his powers in terms of Indie dream booking.

I don’t think I’ve experienced a more fun few years watching indie wrestling than those around 03-06.  You had great Mike Burns booked CZW cards with the PWG and IWS guys, the CZW v RoH feud was shortly afterwards, IWA was holding insane TPI and Strong Style tournaments, PWG was in its infancy. Even KOTDM 03 holds a special place in my heart.  There’s some really great stuff during that whole period.

One of the weirdest things to come from this match is that Necro changed up his style and done more straight up brawling and ended up in RoH. Around the same time Ian started putting on shoot style technical matches with Hero.  Some crazy stuff.

There is some great stuff buried in the sands of time from around that time.  GCW seems to be the spiritual successor to that whole era.

So much great stuff that still blows my mind.

My favorite 'mind blow' from that era though is Bryan.

If you had told me that the skinny, bald dude with the velvet cape that won Survival of the Fittest would go on to main event Wrestlemania 30, sweep Evolution in a single night becoming the unified WWE Champion, all without winning the Royal Rumble, while simultaneously getting over a chant/taunt that crossed into the main stream of sport and entertainment then I probably would have laughed in your face.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, caley said:

It was 12 years ago today that Vince McMahon passed away. Never forget.  

I spot 3 people who still wrestle for WWE. Mickie James, Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins (as the Major Brothers).

5 minutes ago, Ace said:

I spot 3 people who still wrestle for WWE. Mickie James, Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins (as the Major Brothers).

6 minutes ago, Ace said:

You missed Brian Kendrick and Shelton Benjamin. Technically Maria too but I think the last time she wrestled was Royal Rumble

14 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That Sid WWF run was great, until he won the title. I don’t know if he lost his motivation, but it felt like everybody stepped up, and he stepped down which made the fans notice. You also had Steve Austin around that time who's existence shined a light on Sid’s obvious short comings as a badass anti-hero.

Ultimately, though, the title run just was a microcosm about Sid's blessing and curse.

Sid has always been that guy where "if he's in the upper card scene, he can have a benefit to the show...but if he's your World Champion, you've got some serious problems."

It shows a problem for WWE programming that somehow they turned Braun Strowman into a Sid type there for a modern equivalent. 

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

What momentum? I like Murphy, but he wasn't super over at all. The best reaction he got at non-Aussie shows was probably against Tozawa and that likely had more to do with Tozawa who has shown the ability to get over decently before. Not saying they couldn't and shouldn't be doing more with Murphy (they should), but he was not getting crazy reactions or anything. 

The Murphy problem was weird since...he probably would have been super over if they gave him some face time.

Murphy could have been a big deal, but he's almost the face of everything that made the Drake Maverick era suck and the "screw character or gimmicks, let's just have everyone be 'I'm a good wrestler here to wrestle good'. Like, Murphy had been on 205 Live for a year, as one of the top guys...and I don't think he has even a gimmick, let alone a character.

There's just nothing there.

All Murphy's been is "he's Australian (but not over-the-top "You cannot ignore how Australian I am" like, say, the IIconics) and is good at the wrestling." I suppose he's a bad guy, but he doesn't do anything particularly bad in the ring and isn't particularly a dick outside of it except maybe 'I am very good and I know I'm good', and I want to show you how good I am'. Even the heel thing is dodgy, since Murphy may be the only pushed heel on a show where you can't point to even one bad thing he did that tells you "This person is not a very nice person". For lack of a better term, Buddy Murphy is a bad guy because the announcers tell you he's a bad person.  

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’m pretty sure she mentioned the creepiness / discomfort in the Maron podcast and it was specifically the day of filming the backyard scene with Macchu Pichu’s brothers (Carlito and Tyrus). So if Carlito was back the next season, it does suggest an issue with Tyrus.

50 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even the heel thing is dodgy, since Murphy may be the only pushed heel on a show where you can't point to even one bad thing he did that tells you "This person is not a very nice person". 

Here's Buddy Murphy, attacking his Mania opponent from behind. Why won't they be clear about who the faces and heels are?!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

WHERE do you WORK?!

I used to work with a guy who snorted adderal in the bathrooms after at locked the doors before cleaning up.

On one hand, I've never worked with anyone that got shit done faster.

On the other hand, he stopped working there when he was arrested for hitting his girlfriend. On tribal land. Spent two or three years in Federal prison and then sometime in a halfway house. No idea what's happened to him since.