DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

A lot of the Sid hate from that time period seemed to be more in the in-ring style of the time.

One of DVDVR's best qualities that always kept me coming back is: DVDVR seems to be the one wrestling community in the IWC that truly gets that "too much of a good thing makes it bad", and subsequently the corollary of "wait a minute. If we used to get too much of this one good thing, and now it's slowed to a trickle in favor of a more trendy style...then that probably says that the guys still doing this style are probably really good and deserve a second look." 

Most places, it was usually "aww fuck, ANOTHER hoss? Give us some more X-Division type guys!", and it never quite became "aww hell, ANOTHER Johnny Kickpads guy? Give us a good power wrestler or two!"

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

A lot of the Sid hate from that time period seemed to be more in the in-ring style of the time.

One of DVDVR's best qualities that always kept me coming back is: DVDVR seems to be the one wrestling community in the IWC that truly gets that "too much of a good thing makes it bad", and subsequently the corollary of "wait a minute. If we used to get too much of this one good thing, and now it's slowed to a trickle in favor of a more trendy style...then that probably says that the guys still doing this style are probably really good and deserve a second look." 

Most places, it was usually "aww fuck, ANOTHER hoss? Give us some more X-Division type guys!", and it never quite became "aww hell, ANOTHER Johnny Kickpads guy? Give us a good power wrestler or two!"

I definitely think there was a market inefficiency in the appreciation of the hoss archetype in the early IWC. Like, just to pull two relatively random names from the time, I’d posit that the early 00’s crowd gave more praise to Lance Storm as a worker than Meng. Now thank God for DVDVR bring the one place wherein something like that wouldn’t be the norm, but that was the world we lived in.

Much love to DVDVR for bringing balance to the Force.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

That Sid WWF run was great, until he won the title. I don’t know if he lost his motivation, but it felt like everybody stepped up, and he stepped down which made the fans notice. You also had Steve Austin around that time who's existence shined a light on Sid’s obvious short comings as a badass anti-hero.

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Plus, Sid being the overwhelming crowd favorite in MSG.

This is your friendly reminder that I made our very own @RIPPA sit through the entire PPV and review it.  Because I enjoy making the capuchin monkey dance:

http://deathvalleydriver.com/1off_ss96/

This match is awkwardly fun. First part of the match is all based on the notion that Michaels is just as strong as Sid – which is absurd. Plus, the New York crowd likes Sid WAY more than Michaels so that brings out cranky Shawn because the crowd isn’t doing what he wants (The part where he spits at the crowd is a notable highlight).

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Sid rules.

Said it once, will say it again until all the motherfuckers understand.

Any one of us could stab a coworker, and we'd get fired for it.

Sid stabbed a coworker and got fired for it.

Then they hired him back and made him world champion.  

Twice.

While the guy he stabbed still worked for the company.

All hail King Sid

F’n amen. He is the man.

If Vince wants eyeballs back on the product he needs to channel his inner Ian Rotten and book Sid v Becky for WM weekend, failing which GCW can book Sid v Gage.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

F’n amen. He is the man.

If Vince wants eyeballs back on the product he needs to channel his inner Ian Rotten and book Sid v Becky for WM weekend, failing which GCW can book Sid v Gage.

Now I want Sid vs Invisible Stan at the next Spring Break. Sid’s expressions could totally do it.

• Like 3

And you thought current WWE was awful! We should start a fund to make Rippa review new PPVs to fund dyslexia therapy, or housing the homeless. He would come to my house and poison me in my sleep but I'll be damned if I don't love some negative DVDVR. It's just too funny. 

Actually, Dolfan deserves to balance the karmic scales here and review one...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Any one of us could stab a coworker, and we'd get fired for it.

Someone who used to work here attempted to stab a coworker and didn't get fired for it. They did leave voluntarily a little while afterwards, but that was an "if I threaten to leave, they'll beg me to stay and then I shall be invulnerable forevermore" ploy that backfired quite spectacularly. The bosses were new and didn't want to admit they'd made a bad hire, so they gave certain twatheads far too much rope.

Wasn't as bad as the time the boss walked in on a new trainee in the toilet. It was really embarrassing for everyone, she was shooting up with heroin and forgot to lock the door. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Someone who used to work here attempted to stab a coworker and didn't get fired for it. They did leave voluntarily a little while afterwards, but that was an "if I threaten to leave, they'll beg me to stay and then I shall be invulnerable forevermore" ploy that backfired quite spectacularly. The bosses were new and didn't want to admit they'd made a bad hire, so they gave certain twatheads far too much rope.

Wasn't as bad as the time the boss walked in on a new trainee in the toilet. It was really embarrassing for everyone, she was shooting up with heroin and forgot to lock the door. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Only WWE could take a guy like Murphy who came out of nowhere looking like a million bucks and performing at a level nobody knew he was capable of and completely blow any momentum he generated by vanishing him while guys like Corbin and Shane take up about 90 minutes of TV time a week on their own. At least he got that huge moment in his hometown, that's something dreams are made of.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

This happened at a previous job I had too. Users aren't always on top of the little details like door locks.

• Like 1

Where is the page again to give money to RIPPA to make him watch stuff?

I don't want to make him watch shitty wrestling (at least not intentionally). I want to give money to get him to review random NWA Worldwide eps and WoS matches on YT and maybe that old Andre the Giant French catch match from the late '60s that got put up the other day. 

30 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Only WWE could take a guy like Murphy who came out of nowhere looking like a million bucks and performing at a level nobody knew he was capable of and completely blow any momentum he generated by vanishing him while guys like Corbin and Shane take up about 90 minutes of TV time a week on their own. At least he got that huge moment in his hometown, that's something dreams are made of.

What momentum? I like Murphy, but he wasn't super over at all. The best reaction he got at non-Aussie shows was probably against Tozawa and that likely had more to do with Tozawa who has shown the ability to get over decently before. Not saying they couldn't and shouldn't be doing more with Murphy (they should), but he was not getting crazy reactions or anything. 

29 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Where is the page again to give money to RIPPA to make him watch stuff?

There is no page - it is just my paypal.

If serious - you can shoot me a PM