DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

I'd always heard it was because he didn't want to do a job (or what amounted to a job anyways). Then again they've always played fast and lose with the "you can't eliminate yourself" rule to fit whatever the angle was.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'd always heard it was because he didn't want to do a job (or what amounted to a job anyways).

Yeah, that's what I asked in my first post. It's certainly consistent with what I've heard of Mascaras's reputation.

Then again they've always played fast and lose with the "you can't eliminate yourself" rule to fit whatever the angle was.

True, but somewhat beside the point, seeing how Mascaras, you know, never went over the top rope.

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Speaking of that Rumble - was Mil Mascaras eliminated by screwjob because he refused to let anybody throw him over the top?

I'd always heard it was because he didn't want to do a job (or what amounted to a job anyways). Then again they've always played fast and lose with the "you can't eliminate yourself" rule to fit whatever the angle was.

Ahmed Johnson actually eliminated himself near the beginning of the Rumble too.

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ahmed Johnson actually eliminated himself near the beginning of the Rumble too.

Yeah, Ahmed really did eliminate himself like a moron. Mascaras did not.

And rewatching it reminded me that because of the booking at the end, every other competitor in the thing did in fact get thrown over the top rope. Mil Mascaras is the rightful 1997 Royal Rumble winner!

• Haha 3

I think I disagree. Once he climbed to the top rope, I think that counted as re-entering the ring, so when he dove to the floor, he eliminated himself.

The next ppv should've been Final Five with Faux Diesel. (I know, the ruling was because the other three were eliminated by Austin after he had been tossed, but the name is a damnable lie)

Anyway, I went to bed without watching the main event last night, so gonna fix that now. Although iirc, survivor series was the good Sid/Shawn match

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anyway, I went to bed without watching the main event last night, so gonna fix that now. Although iirc, survivor series was the good Sid/Shawn match

whichever one Sid won is automatically the good one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

IIRC the Sid/Shawn series (is it a series if there's only two?) came up in the Old School Questions thread a few years back.  I'd have to dig to find what page it's on though.

EDIT:  ah, page 61.  I thought I'd said that same thing before. ?

Edited by BobbyWhioux

Okay - I will preface this with Ruby acknowledging that she has no idea if it is actually true but...

On the new Table for 3 which is the Riott Squad - Ruby Riott tells the a story where she says that she was told that the reason the Riott Squad was formed was because Vince watched Suicide Squad and decided he wanted a Harley Quinn, Joker and Beast type character

Assuming there is truth to at least Vince watching the Suicide Squad - he is almost caught up in his pop culture references.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think I disagree. Once he climbed to the top rope, I think that counted as re-entering the ring, so when he dove to the floor, he eliminated himself.

I'm sure I've seen refs lay a ten-count on a wrestler who's on the top rope waiting to dive off. On the top rope is not inside the ring.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Assuming there is truth to at least Vince watching the Suicide Squad - he is almost caught up in his pop culture references.

To be completely fair, his wife does work with Steve Mnuchin who was one of the Executive Producers, so he probably watched to make sure he didn't sound like an idiot around him.

(Well, less so.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To be completely fair, his wife does work with Steve Mnuchin who was one of the Executive Producers, so he probably watched to make sure he didn't sound like an idiot around him.

(Well, less so.)

I'm pretty sure that that if Mnuchin and Vince were talking, the conversation would go exactly like Marc Mero's WWF interview where he brought Rena along. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/10/2019 at 11:30 AM, joseph2112 said:

I guess they don't have enough tv time.

Shane needs more. Because Shane draws money, you see.

buj6MIJ.gif?noredirect

Edited by Ace
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I fucking love this match.  If you're reading this now and haven't seen it, FUCKING DO IT NOOB

I haven't seen it. As soon as I master ALL STAR DREAM SLAM on the Famicom I'll be watching this. This shit is hard.