DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

I didn't realize it until it was mentioned in the story but Ryder and Hawkins haven't had a televised title defense since the day after Mania

AND I also totally forgot that the Viking Raiders squashed them in a non-title match the next week

I am trying to decide if I am bored enough to list all the people who vanished when the shakeup happened and then who vanished when "wild card" rule started

I'm fully expecting the Usos to cost Revival, then vice versa next week, then a triple threat at Stomping Grounds.  

Which of course, Hawkins & Ryder will somehow win because their act isn't tired and they should definitely not have been released 5-6 years ago.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm fully expecting the Usos to cost Revival, then vice versa next week, then a triple threat at Stomping Grounds.  

Which of course, Hawkins & Ryder will somehow win because their act isn't tired and they should definitely not have been released 5-6 years ago.

UURuOqef.jpg

"That's just the kind of creative thinking we need to really shake things up around here! This kind of thinking will help us crush that new show starting on TNT. God damn Ted Turner trying to bankrupt me again. I beat him once, I'LL DO IT AGAIN DAMN IT! Now someone bring me an energy drink!"

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Looks like creative already beat you to the punch, the Usos have been added to tonight match, making it a three-way.

3 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Looks like creative already beat you to the punch, the Usos have been added to tonight match, making it a three-way.

I wasn't planning on watching tonight anyway, but I hope the War Raiders run in and destroy everybody to remind the audience that they're not dead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wasn't planning on watching tonight anyway, but I hope the War Raiders run in and destroy everybody to remind the audience that they're not dead.

That's probably close to Dolfan's 3 way booking, making it a 4-way at Stomping Ground.

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I guess they don't have enough tv time.

But goddamn if I don't want to be reminded what happened 5 min ago, even though I saw.it when it happened!

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yes. Just randomly so.

It wasn't random. They made a big deal about a working agreement with AAA at the time. Essentially the WWF was going to use them for the Light Heavyweight Division. You first saw Hector Garza Jr on US television via the WWF. 

Bret Hart's famous line about "wrestling with your underwear on your head" came out of this junction. 

The disappointing bit was the guys that were most showed were the old legends like El Canek and Mils Mascaras. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I remember them randomly bringing them in at the Rumble, then using them for a month on B shows.

I think Super Astros was around that time, but I didn't get the show or even know it existed at the time.

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

UURuOqef.jpg

"That's just the kind of creative thinking we need to really shake things up around here! This kind of thinking will help us crush that new show starting on TNT. God damn Ted Turner trying to bankrupt me again. I beat him once, I'LL DO IT AGAIN DAMN IT! Now someone bring me an energy drink!"

"...but sir, you're holding one right now."

"I NEED A FULL ONE GODDAMMIT!" *crushes can in fist*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think Super Astros was around that time, but I didn't get the show or even know it existed at the time.

Weren’t most of the guys on Super Astro’s from CMLL, and not from AAA. Did AAA’s deal with WWE break down at that point?

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, I remember them randomly bringing them in at the Rumble, then using them for a month on B shows.

Super Astros wasn't until late 1998.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Viking Raiders have been off tv for a month or more now. I think. They're basically dead.

This is basically the Smackdown booking from last year.  Bar Vs. Usos for Title, New Day off TV.  Bludgeons vs New Day, Bar and Usos off TV.  It’s the WWE ‘We have 2 teams feuding over the title, rather than book other teams in a feud, we’ll just keep them off tv until the feud ends’ booking.  Revival vs Usos, keep the other teams off tv. I presume once Ryder and Hawkins lose the titles, we’ll not see them until the next Superstar Shakeup 

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yes. Just randomly so.

From my recollection, it was a reaction to WCW's deal with AAA with then moved to another promotion that Konnan was the head of. Similar to the All-Japan/NOAH split formation. 

Like someone mentioned it was the older stars of AAA that were left outside of Hector Garza JR, who for a time the WWE was high on, but not for long as he ended up showing up in WCW towards the end. And had that cool corkscrew plancha