DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

I never saw Wade as a main event guy. Good, not great talker. Good, not great in the ring. Seemed like a perfect IC/US title guy.

Of course, he might've gotten over huge if they hadn't pulled the plug on the breaking the bad news bits.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Barrett had the problem with being made of glass, though.

Exactly. They got behind him a few times, in their own way, but he couldn’t stay healthy. That’s why he’s not tearing up the indies right now and hosting robot battles (I think?).

Wade had something there at the end with the Stan Hansen style Bull Hammer. I remember seeking out those Barrett matches because I have a real mark hard-on for the way Hansen signals for the move before hitting the big finish. 

Yeah, and then he kept getting injured week, after week. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Here’s a wholesome reddit thread about the great John Tenta. The most upvoted comment is a fantastic story:

That story with Tenta and the Hart Foundation is tremendous. The world needs more people like John Tenta. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wade had something there at the end with the Stan Hansen style Bull Hammer. 

I always had a problem with the Bull Hammer, mostly that Nikki threw hers like her last name was Misawa around the same time. Wade's just looked unimpressive in comparison.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wade had something there at the end with the Stan Hansen style Bull Hammer. I remember seeking out those Barrett matches because I have a real mark hard-on for the way Hansen signals for the move before hitting the big finish. 

Yeah, and then he kept getting injured week, after week. 

Are these in chronological order?  Because it was wild seeing how many times he faced Sin Cara, and Miz, and Ziggler, and Sin Cara, and Bryan, and Miz, and Sin Cara, and Truth, and Sin Cara, and Kofi, and Sin Cara, and Sin Cara ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nate said:

Are these in chronological order?  Because it was wild seeing how many times he faced Sin Cara, and Miz, and Ziggler, and Sin Cara, and Bryan, and Miz, and Sin Cara, and Truth, and Sin Cara, and Kofi, and Sin Cara, and Sin Cara ...

That's WWE, rinse and repeat.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

Barrett had the problem with being made of glass, though.

Barrett's injuries always seemed to be freak accidents to me though. Like when he messed up his arm due to Big Show chucking Ziggler at him. I don't think it's fair to say he's made of glass. It's not like he tore his quad walking or running across the ring like some people WWE have heavily pushed in the past....

• Like 3

I was lucky to have been able to hang out with Heath Slater on a couple occasions, through my job as a nightclub host/promoter. First was in 2011 after a Smackdown where I helped him and Justin Gabriel set up a drink tab and we got to drink together and shoot the shit. Second time was in 2013 when I was annointed the unofficial 4th member of 3MB and I told Heath...the fact that the office trusts him to work with the legends is a sign he probably has a job for life. And here he is, 6 years later, still employed and barring a huge fuck up, has the chance to be a lifer. And good for him...he's got kids! Lol

• Like 5

On 6/6/2019 at 1:04 PM, joseph2112 said:

The real answer to this question is Shane-O Mac. Instead of some middle age/frat boy/dad bod/shoot fighter/high flyer gimmick he works, he should be a manager who takes all the short cuts and cheap shots (kind of like he's doing now). But the only time the guy should wrestle is the "get 5 minutes with the heel". Then he has enough credibility to get some cheap offense in, but still get squashed in the end.

I literally sent an eight minute voice message to a friend explaining why NOT doing it that way is proof how far away from Wrestling WWE has gotten. Hell, you can even have the heel getting dqed by using a foreign object, knocking out the babyface and have the "Manager" Shane straight up PIN the out-Cold babyface if you don't want to pull the trigger yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

I was lucky to have been able to hang out with Heath Slater on a couple occasions, through my job as a nightclub host/promoter. First was in 2011 after a Smackdown where I helped him and Justin Gabriel set up a drink tab and we got to drink together and shoot the shit. Second time was in 2013 when I was annointed the unofficial 4th member of 3MB and I told Heath...the fact that the office trusts him to work with the legends is a sign he probably has a job for life. And here he is, 6 years later, still employed and barring a huge fuck up, has the chance to be a lifer. And good for him...he's got kids! Lol

3MB has such a weird... I don't think legacy is quite the right word, but whatever...

Two of them got cut, came back, and one became world champ and the other is floating around the main event scene.

Heath, in the meantime, just keeps being employed as a lower midcard/JTTS guy.

Remember when they briefly had Shane basically managing Benoit and a couple others? (I want to say Angle, and maybe Big Show before that?) and he kept insisting they were just his friends?

That was a good, solid use of Shane if he absolutely has to be on my fucking tv for some goddamn reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Remember when they briefly had Shane basically managing Benoit and a couple others? (I want to say Angle, and maybe Big Show before that?) and he kept insisting they were just his friends?

I remember me, and my friends getting a kick out of Shane doing the “TAP, TAP, TAP” when he was with Benoit.

Underrated feud, and match for The Rock too, with Benoit. Even prior to the murders it was kind of a forgotten match for the two. Probably because the company would hardly reference it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

20 hours ago, nate said:

This underlines where they thought Barrett stood in the scheme of things. Lots of Truth, Ziggler, Sin Cara, Kofi, and even Santino. 

Fandango had the best sell of the Bull Hammer in that video. You got to appreciate the guys that liked to leap into it, too.

• Like 1