DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

The Asuka situation is disappointing because they had two good avenues in which to make her a big main roster star.

If her not being a good English promo was a problem, keep her in a tag team with Naomi. They worked well together, even incorporating parts of each other's colors into their wardrobe and having a joint finishing move. The two are good friends backstage. A "Glow of Tomorrow" team would have laid waste to everyone and been a great foil for the IIconics. And if they want to keep Fire & Desire together, they could play off the Naomi/Mandy feud for another rivalry.

That they ignored how Asuka tapped out Becky clean at Royal Rumble irritated me. Asuka isn't a meek person. No way would she watch Becky brag about winning the Royal Rumble and not remind The Man how she nearly snapped Becky's neck. Even they insisted putting both belts on Becky, Asuka can say Becky never beat her and rub that salt into the wound.

Sadly, once they sacrificed the entire SDL women's division for the WM triple threat, any chance Asuka had evaporated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Quick reminder, since we're about 90 minutes away from the Saudi show... 

Refrain from discussing the show and its results as it happens.  There's Twitter, reddit and Facebook if you want to do that.  

Do so, and this is *probably* how you'll end up:

Spoiler

1487329942-geena-davis-beetlejuice.gif?r

Thank you, drive through. 

DVDVR was an influential site back in the day, though probably not as much anymore. I'm surprised there was never a DVDVR Hall of Fame.

Who would make it in?

El Dandy, Mark Henry, Bunkhouse Buck and Ken the Box would surely be immediate picks. Also that guy who was #1 and the best who's name is slipping my mind.

2 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

DVDVR was an influential site back in the day, though probably not as much anymore. I'm surprised there was never a DVDVR Hall of Fame.

Who would make it in?

El Dandy, Mark Henry, Bunkhouse Buck and Ken the Box would surely be immediate picks. Also that guy who was #1 and the best who's name is slipping my mind.

I thought you meant posters, so my brain immediately went to Winnipagan, Devin, and a couple others (but I'm biased towards them).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Quick reminder, since we're about 90 minutes away from the Saudi show... 

Refrain from discussing the show and its results as it happens.  There's Twitter, reddit and Facebook if you want to do that.  

Do so, and this is *probably* how you'll end up:

Reveal hidden contents

1487329942-geena-davis-beetlejuice.gif?r

Thank you, drive through. 

I'll be honest...I forgot there was even a show until you said this, but I've also been precoccupied by family emergency shit so my mind is elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Swiftian said:

Who would make it in?

El Dandy, Mark Henry, Bunkhouse Buck, Ken The Box, Shinjiro Ohtani, Daisuke Ikeda, Joe Malenko, Daisuke Ikeda, Alexander "Diet Butcher" Otsuka, Yuki Ishikawa

Oh, and Lance Storm

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 1

The idea of us doing a HOF was floated at least once - it was probably around the same time as the talk of DVDVR running it's own card

Thank God - saner heads prevailed

The weird thing about Asuka's push is that she's got a very unique situation, where no matter how badly you book her or don't book her- the second you treat her as important even once, the fans are willing to accept this as a new debut and all is forgiven. 

Like, the only time I had seen this before was Sasha Banks with team BAD who was...well, booked okay but not spectacular when the Women's Revolution started...and then after the 2016 Rumble she showed up to challenge Charlotte and people treated it as if she just made her WWE debut.

Asuka, on the other hand- that happens all the time- loses to Charlotte? Off TV for a week or so and treated like she debuted. Gets destroyed by Carmella? Off TV for a couple weeks, has that good team with Naomi, and it's like she debuted again. The IIconics beat her? Wins the battle royal and it's like she debuted AGAIN. Loses the SD Women's Title? Shows up with Kairi Sane and it's treated like a fourth debut...and it may be a fifth when they actually push them.

Finn Balor definitely has the same thing going on with Asuka, stop-start pushes that don't matter to their fans. It's almost like you'd see how psyched people are for these performers and do something consistent...

• Like 3

The second worse thing you can do in WWE, after getting over without permission, is being over when they like you, and see value in you, but don't have any real plans for you. Because those are the guys and girls that just have to go long periods with bad booking on the basis that they'll always be over anyway. And that must be incredibly frustrating.

• Like 2

The hierarchy is:

1. Be the chosen one and be accepted as such (this hasn't happened in like 30 years).
2. Be the chosen one and rejected by the fans (because they're still gonna spite push you to the top).
3. Be Daniel Bryan (he has his own rules that apply only to him).
4. Be over commensurate with your push (if they push you and you get over, you can make a career out of being the fall-back guy).
5. Not be over.
6. Be over but not one of their guys (you'll get constantly forgotten and treated like shit, because they know the fans will always cheer for them anyway).
7. Get over on your own (the cardinal sin).
8. Be Rusev.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

The hierarchy is:

1. Be the chosen one and be accepted as such (this hasn't happened in like 30 years).
8. Be Rusev.

Not sure who in 1989 you mean but I’d say 21/22 years ago is the last time it happened. Although Austin certainly had to earn that distinction.

And on the Rusev front, anybody else get the idea he’s just riding out his contract so he can move on like Moxley? I’m not saying he’s going to AEW but he and everyone else knows he’s not being used to his full potential and it seems like the right move these days is just to stay quietly good and then capitalize after refusing to renew. I mean, they took off Total Divas and if that’s not an indictment of their decision making, I don’t know what is.