DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

2 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I don't know if that is true, or just you coming up with something truly hilarious for him to do after retirement. 

In-N-Out doesn't franchise. The entire chain is family owned and they have no plans on turning it into a franchise business. Their expansion has been contained within geographic locations that their existing suppliers could still service without sacrificing quality.

Will Okada settle for Five Guys?

8 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I don't know if that is true, or just you coming up with something truly hilarious for him to do after retirement. 

In-N-Out doesn't franchise. The entire chain is family owned and they have no plans on turning it into a franchise business. Their expansion has been contained within geographic locations that their existing suppliers could still service without sacrificing quality.

We keep hearing rumors of expansion into New Mexico, but I think that's all they are is rumors. Blake's LottaBurger really has a stranglehold on the State and considering their overall quality, for another burger chain to come in, they'd best have really deep pockets and the patience of Job to wait out a few years of losing money hand over fist before being able to build their own following. From a corporate standpoint, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to chase after such a small market as New Mexico is in the greater scheme of things.

35 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Yeah, this one needs to change.

All great points, hard to disagree. The only thing I would counter with would be that if somebody is a hall of famer after 15 years, aren't they a hall of famer forever? Other sports have the retirement rule but that seems arbitrary too. 

4 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

All great points, hard to disagree. The only thing I would counter with would be that if somebody is a hall of famer after 15 years, aren't they a hall of famer forever? Other sports have the retirement rule but that seems arbitrary too. 

Well, I suppose there's always the possibility of a guy being a great wrestler for fifteen years and then blowing out a knee or something and switching to a comedy act. Hard to say,  the one guy that comes to mind is Atsushi Onita, who went from a high-flying junior to being forced to reinvent himself as a brawler, (which he excelled at). Now for the sake of argument, let's say that rather than becoming the hottest thing in wrestling (which FMW most assuredly was) that Onita's new act went over like a lead balloon, what do we evaluate him on? His promising career as a high-flyer that was cut short? Do we weigh both the bad with the good?  

I can see the argument for it being possible for a worker to destroy all the goodwill that they may have built up over fifteen years by boneheaded decisions and/or sheer laziness, but it does seem a bit far-fetched. Still, fifteen years (for the reasons I outlined previously) seems an awfully short window when you consider that most guys who are getting into the biz directly and not coming in as a fall-back from something else are at the oldest going to be in their mid to late thirties after fifteen years and just as an example, A.J. Styles entered the best phase of his career when he was 38 or so. Nakamura is (I think) 38 or 39 with loads left in the tank.  He was inducted to the WON  HOF a few years back and while it may have seemed early, there's really no argument that can be raised that he wasn't a worthy inductee then. 

Other "early" inductees would include John Cena (2012), Tanahashi (2013), Daniel Bryan (2016), LA Park (2018). I think it fair to say that all four of these gents had cemented their fame by that time and that nothing they could possibly do would eradicate the well-deserved accolades that were heaped on them. They are all on the downside of their careers now, but can still go, (if you doubt me, watch Tana vs. Jay White, the dude's still got it at age 44 and can conceivably work as long as he wants to. Tana's re-shaped his game to focus on what he can do well without trying to do ridiculous high-spots to keep up with the youngsters.) Cena is still "Big Match John" and while Bryan and LA Park have modified their work somewhat, they are both quite capable on any given night of tearing the house down and Park is pushing fifty and Bryan is in his mid-forties IIRC. 

Should they have been inducted as early as they were? Hard to say, in a business where one bad landing can end a career, I'd be hard-pressed to say that any of these guys were inducted too early. You might raise the argument that Kurt Angle was inducted too early, but he silenced any possible criticism with his work over the next few years. I think that twenty years as an active worker sounds about right, but I also see Dave's point in wanting to make sure that someone is around to appreciate the gesture. Who among us thought that we'd be referring to Perro jr in the past tense in 2019? Certainly not me, from everything that I ever saw, he was a fundamentally sound and safe worker, unlikely to hurt himself or his opponent and now he's gone. Misawa was a shock, though it really shouldn't have been, he'd been playing with fire for two decades with the crazy unprotected drops on his head/neck, it was really only a matter of time until something went horribly wrong. 

First and foremost, this is some dangerous stuff that these folks do to entertain us and no amount of sugar-coating will change that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

I can see the argument for it being possible for a worker to destroy all the goodwill that they may have built up over fifteen years by boneheaded decisions and/or sheer laziness, but it does seem a bit far-fetched. Still, fifteen years (for the reasons I outlined previously) seems an awfully short window when you consider that most guys who are getting into the biz directly and not coming in as a fall-back from something else are at the oldest going to be in their mid to late thirties after fifteen years and just as an example, A.J. Styles entered the best phase of his career when he was 38 or so. Nakamura is (I think) 38 or 39 with loads left in the tank.  He was inducted to the WON  HOF a few years back and while it may have seemed early, there's really no argument that can be raised that he wasn't a worthy inductee then. 

Other "early" inductees would include John Cena (2012), Tanahashi (2013), Daniel Bryan (2016), LA Park (2018). I think it fair to say that all four of these gents had cemented their fame by that time and that nothing they could possibly do would eradicate the well-deserved accolades that were heaped on them. They are all on the downside of their careers now, but can still go, (if you doubt me, watch Tana vs. Jay White, the dude's still got it at age 44 and can conceivably work as long as he wants to. Tana's re-shaped his game to focus on what he can do well without trying to do ridiculous high-spots to keep up with the youngsters.) Cena is still "Big Match John" and while Bryan and LA Park have modified their work somewhat, they are both quite capable on any given night of tearing the house down and Park is pushing fifty and Bryan is in his mid-forties IIRC. 

From this list, Nakamura would be a good example of the problems of active career inductions.

Nakamura got inducted into the Observer HOF, and he was the hottest star in New Japan, rising to be a genuine draw on the indies, and seemed like a true HOFer outright.

Then he signed with WWE, and it's arguable he was a one-hit wonder both in NXT and the main roster (one amazing match in NXT with Zayn, and on the main roster just "won the Rumble and got the WWE title match at Mania", combined with dogging it in the ring and many, many diminishing returns. Now, he's gone from "best wrestler in the world" to "he's not on regular television with WWE, and you can argue Nakamura isn't even the most "wait, HE'S not on TV right now?" guy there."

Then, you consider the 15 year rule has also been destroyed as UK wrestling has exploded recently, and with it a crop of wrestlers who trained super young. Something like Kenny Omega being WON HOF eligible now is iffy, but it's really bad when you consider that, if he keeps on his upward momentum for a mere five more years (which given his talent is more than likely),  Pete Dunne in the WON Hall of Fame before his 30th birthday seems entirely possible. That...doesn't really work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alstein said:

By the time Okada's ready to leave Japan, Omega will be at least as broken down as Tana is now.   Omega's only got about 3-4 years of his prime left at most.

Do you not think he’s had enough down time between the more gruelling tours (G1 etc) to be in a better condition than Tana who was likely working hurt a lot trying to keep the lights on as the ace for years?

Im not sure either way, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Omega has a bit more gas in the tank especially as, with how Moxley specifically called out WWE’s house show loops, we have reason to believe that AEW may go easier on the touring.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

I can see the argument for it being possible for a worker to destroy all the goodwill that they may have built up over fifteen years by boneheaded decisions and/or sheer laziness, but it does seem a bit far-fetched.

Or murdering your family or leaving a prime spot in a big company because you like drugs more.  Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle are calling on lines one and two!

Seriously, they should raise it to 25 years just in case.  I know the oldsters who are a little embarrassed about being part of the business really really liked having a legit gold medalist in the hall of fame, but it was way too soon for Angle, especially because his amateur career apparently counted toward the 15 years.  He was voted into the hall in '04, flamed out in '06, and really didn't do much of note for the rest of his career.

Edited by Technico Support

43 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Asuka should change her catchphrase from “Nobody is ready for, Asuka” to “Nobody in creative remembers, Asuka”.

I naively thought Asuka was rebuilt after winning the WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship from Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair in a TLC match at TLC 2018 then defending it against Lynch at this year's Royal Rumble. Asuka lost the title back to Charlotte on Smackdown Live in the Road to WrestleMania. The two WWE Women's Championship WrestleMania XXXV matches needed to be Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch and Asuka vs. Charlotte Flair III.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I haven't been keeping up with the main WWE roster much outside of PPVs (I'm much happier!) but I saw where Asuka and Kairi are a team now. I love em both and maybe it'll lead to something great, but they are being absolutely wasted in a team IMO especially with such little emphasis on the women's tags from what I understand

40 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

"Vince doesn't give two shits about Asuka" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

In the same way Sasha could've and should've been a crossover star with the MTV/BET crowd, I bet Asuka would have a ton of appeal with the Anime nerd crowd. Why not send her to these Comic Cons or video game competitions? She was a video game journalist, after all. 

This is the kind of forward thinking stuff that I think (hope!) AEW is gonna be way better at simply because they have younger dudes in charge who are maybe a little more tuned into the pop culture zeitgeist.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Re: WON hof

I know wrestlers never retire. But why not wait until someone has say, less than 25 matches in a calendar year and deem them semi-retired and hof eligible? Or something like that? Seeing active competitors inducted in a hof has always seemed odd to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Re: WON hof

I know wrestlers never retire. But why not wait until someone has say, less than 25 matches in a calendar year and deem them semi-retired and hof eligible? Or something like that? Seeing active competitors inducted in a hof has always seemed odd to me.

I legit had this same thought.  I said an average of 50 a year for a 5 year period just to account for potential injuries but yeah.  

I also had the shower thought about era based halls to celebrate people who might have been awesome in context but not objectively over all of history.  So guys who might be borderline over all but for the time and realities around them it's more possible.

My eras that i worked out in my head to be pre territory, territory, national expansion and the Monday night wars, and the current rise of the super indy era.

Also, those eras having wings in the halls for regions as well to account for the differences in style and longevity.

Just a shower thought.

• Like 1

As a voter, you can also choose not to vote for someone you think is still active or too active to be eligible.

i didn’t vote for a Ultimo Guerrero last year, even though he’s on the ballot, but he is still a main eventer for one of the biggest promotions in the world. 

3 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

You'd have to account for injury, at least, to say nothing of quasi off years like Kenny Omega has had this year. (He's had 3 matches in 2019, and I doubt he'll hit 25.)

Obviously, some addition standards would need to be in play. Maybe age? Or taking into account the number of matches in the previous year? That's just off the top of my head.

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nobody in creative was ready for Asuka.

NXT Papa H must despair at times with NXT to main roster booking talent with the odd exceptions.

Edited by The Natural