DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Speaking of the WON HOF, I believe Kenta Kobashi has the record for highest voting percentage with 98%. I can see Kazuchika Okada polling in the mid 90s when he's up. Okada will get in at the first time of asking.

You are correct on Kobashi. Okada, unless something awful happens may just be the best wrestler of our lifetimes. Tana is close, really, really close as is Liger, but one is obviously on the downswing of his career and the other is retiring after thirty years of amazing work. That leaves the spotlight on the Rainmaker, who by all accounts is not stupid enough to take McMahon money and have his career destroyed in a plethora of "No speak English, chop-chop pee-pee!" jokes. 

• Like 1

If AEW doesn't go tits up, Kenny Omega, the Bucks and Cody no surname are locks for the WON HOF. Starting a major new company and it surviving? That's a shitload of historic significance. Plus they've all had five or six star matches.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ehhhh. I'd prefer leaving the greatest singer in history to his rest. Let the other dead guy take part in this debacle

What does Aretha Franklin have to do with this thread? And as much as I love me some Dio, to say that he was even on the same planet as Aretha is silly.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

First off, anyone that has their likeness airbrushed onto an article of clothing needs to be thrown under a bus.

rick-rude-posing.png?w=347&h=260

Ahem. Mr. OSJ, I know you are on a righteous tear today but please rethink your stance, sirrah. Also, Jimmy Valiant, Velveteen Dream and Jerry Lawler might want to have words with you as well. Wearing one's likeness, merch and/or gimmick is a right handed down from Gilgamesh, Palaestra, Antaeus and Jacob to all workers, and one of my favorite things!!

hmuph,

RAF

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I was definitely thinking more towards the Observer HOF because yeah, any WWE employee is likely to get into their Hall. 

Definitely agree on Becky and Charlotte, maybe even other women. They seem the most revolutionary right now even if it's due to how shitty WWE used to be with women. 

I was also kinda thinking about how we, and the general public, see as true legends. I don't see much of that right now, and struggle to see even potential legends. 

For the first time in probably 18 years I watched some old Misawa vs Kawada matches (Chris Hero shared a link of the 94 match on Twitter, watched that and let it run). Still amazing... but who seconded Kawada in 94? I didn't recognize the faces. Misawa had Kobashi and Akiyama.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

For the first time in probably 18 years I watched some old Misawa vs Kawada matches (Chris Hero shared a link of the 94 match on Twitter, watched that and let it run). Still amazing... but who seconded Kawada in 94? I didn't recognize the faces. Misawa had Kobashi and Akiyama.

Kentaro Shiga (tall skinny guy) and Satoru Asako maybe? Or Masao Inoue? Is there a screenshot?

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

rick-rude-posing.png?w=347&h=260

Ahem. Mr. OSJ, I know you are on a righteous tear today but please rethink your stance, sirrah. Also, Jimmy Valiant, Velveteen Dream and Jerry Lawler might want to have words with you as well. Wearing one's likeness, merch and/or gimmick is a right handed down from Gilgamesh, Palaestra, Antaeus and Jacob to all workers, and one of my favorite things!!

hmuph,

RAF

Okay, Rick Rude I'll give you, and perhaps the Velveteen Dream, who let's face it could wear a gunny sack and stovepipe hat and somehow make it work. Jimmy Valiant and Lawler looked like buffoons, of course the case can be made that Valiant and Lawler looked like buffoons no matter what the occasion. 

Your post causes me to reflect on why no one has ever used the Antaeus gimmick in wrestling, as long as a body part is touching the canvas, the worker in question cannot be pinned. The only way to beat him would be in true Herculean fashion of pressing him above your head until he was sufficiently weakened to submit. A brilliant idea that needs to be utilized sooner rather than later. In an era of magic penises and the like, the classics still have something to offer.

I hope this will serve as a re-thinking of my stance, as always, thank you for putting things into perspective, Rev. Bonus points for the mention of Palaestra, a reference which no doubt flew over the heads of many of friends here who were asleep during that particular lecture.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

What pissed Gerry off??

Zero clue but I also haven't had a chance to search our history

I am assuming Ray tagged him in something

I never tag wrestlers so that is how I know I am in the clear

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Zero clue but I also haven't had a chance to search our history

I am assuming Ray tagged him in something

I never tag wrestlers so that is how I know I am in the clear

This just makes me upset I didn't tag Lacey Evans when I said she's dressing like a Recently Divorced Minnie Mouse.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This just makes me upset I didn't tag Lacey Evans when I said she's dressing like a Recently Divorced Minnie Mouse.   

At least you didn't say it looks like she's fucking Goofy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I liked that post from @thee Reverend Axl Futureeven though I truly, truly hate Jimmy Valiant.

First, because the good Reverend is ultimately right about airbrushing your image onto your own tights, and second, because the greatness of Rick Rude offsets the OH GOD PLEASE GET OFF MY SCREEN WHERE IS MY REMOTE SO I CAN FAST FORWARD-ness of Jimmy Valiant.*

*With the one exception of that time he got clocked by Pistol Pez Whatley, which is one of my favorite heel turns ever in life. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

Speaking of Okada, what does he have left to do in New Japan? I’m not talking shit I’m being dead serious what else is there for him to do? Everything so far is on track for Naito to headline both nights of WK. Let’s say Okada holds the belt until then and Naito leaves as Champ on Night 2? What does Okada do next, hold the IC title for 2 years as they build the next heir apparent?

Barring if there’s bad blood for the All In match going over time would it be in Okadas best interest to come to America and be a top guy over here? What I think I’m trying to say I’d would is cement Okadas legacy as the best wrestler of this generation if he cane over here to let’s just say All Elite and becomes on of the top guys headlining against the likes of Jericho Omega Moxley Page Cody and whoever else fills out the main event scene? Okada and Naito for that matter do have a certain cache to their names in America and are to a certain extent draws here too.

Also would be poetic justice for that year he was in Orlando for TNA and they say on him. 

Edited by Web Conn

4 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I liked that post from @thee Reverend Axl Futureeven though I truly, truly hate Jimmy Valiant.

First, because the good Reverend is ultimately right about airbrushing your image onto your own tights, and second, because the greatness of Rick Rude offsets the OH GOD PLEASE GET OFF MY SCREEN WHERE IS MY REMOTE SO I CAN FAST FORWARD-ness of Jimmy Valiant.*

*With the one exception of that time he got clocked by Pistol Pez Whatley, which is one of my favorite heel turns ever in life. 

How can anyone hate Boogie Woogie? I wish more wrestlers were honestly like him. Minimal offense, great punches. Getting an elbow drop over as a finisher.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

How can anyone hate Boogie Woogie? I wish more wrestlers were honestly like him. Minimal offense, great punches. Getting an elbow drop over as a finisher.

Uh, he's a loud jerk; he does a stupid elbow drop; I hate his clapping; I hate his dancing; he yells a lot but not in a fun way like how Sid Vicious yells everything and more like in an irritating way like Sam Kinison if Sam Kinison was trying to imitate an angry Miss Piggy; and also he's pretty condescending, which is why Pez Whatley hitting him after he turned his back and started dancing like an asshole was the best.

If I could cross the time stream, seven-year-old me and current me would gladly sit on the couch together, chortling every time Paul Jones brought some goons to jump him or every time one of his friends turned heel on him, which if you think about it was a lot, like how every one of Hulk Hogan's friends turned on him in the '80s, and we know that the Hulkster is a needle-popping liar who had to go on Arsenio Hall and admit that he got his 24-inch pythons from a pharmacist and not from hard work and prayers to the Almighty, so where is my Arsenio-hosted expose on Jimmy Valiant?

Where, I ask you, where?

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2