DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION - Thread 2

Depends whether you mean WWE HOF or WON HOF. Seth is a lock for the former, might struggle with the latter because of the 'on top when biz was slumping' aspect. Even though it's not his fault.

Speaking strictly of the WON Hall (for which I am a voter), I struggle to think of Seth as a HOFr, this might have something to do with the fact that his interviews and promos are an automatic channel-changer for me, (something about that midwest accent just grates on my nerves), his ring work is fine, though a bit sloppy and he insists on a babyface offense when he's working heel, which is sort of jarring. I think Randy Orton probably has a better case, though it isn't really a strong one.  

As far as the WON HOF in the near future, I see the majority of inductees coming from places other than the US/Canada. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Are we talking Observer Hall of Fame, or WWE’s? Because if it’s WWE bro, fucking Koko B. Ware, and fucking Stan Hansen(Who had a cup of coffee with them) are in it. Hell if AEW somehow goes tits up, then I can see Cody Rhodes ending up there too, like Gagne did.

What's your problem with Koko B. Ware, the dude was a fantastic wrestler. Watch some of his work in Memphis and get back to me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Are we talking Observer Hall of Fame, or WWE’s? Because if it’s WWE bro, fucking Koko B. Ware, and fucking Stan Hansen(Who had a cup of coffee with them) are in it. Hell if AEW somehow goes tits up, then I can see Cody Rhodes ending up there too, like Gagne did.

Gagne doesn't know he's in.  I'm sorry, but it had to be said.

6 minutes ago, OSJ said:

What's your problem with Koko B. Ware, the dude was a fantastic wrestler. Watch some of his work in Memphis and get back to me.

Hey, I like Marlins center fielder Chuck Carr, and his leather jacket with his face airbrushed on it, but he shouldn’t be anywhere near a “Hall of Fame”. Someone giving me joy shouldn’t be given a Hall of Fame spot. If that were the case Vicious & Delious would be first ballot Hall of Famers.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Hey, I like Marlins center fielder Chuck Carr, and his leather jacket with his face airbrushed on it, but he shouldn’t be anywhere near a “Hall of Fame”. Someone giving me joy shouldn’t be given a Hall of Fame spot. If that were the case Vicious & Delious would be first ballot Hall of Famers.

First off, anyone that has their likeness airbrushed onto an article of clothing needs to be thrown under a bus. I am perfectly content to agree that given his WWE work, Koko is hardly the stuff of legends. However, when you factor in the amazing career that he had before WWE, the argument tilts toward "Yes, I can see that." 

• Like 2

Lost in all this I just realized that Victator is finally gone! Well done, Dolfan, I'd have booted his silly ass months ago, but then I have an Irish temper which is why I'm no longer a mod.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm thinking about all of the top stars from the 80s through the early 2000s, everybody from Backlund and Hogan to Austin and The Rock, and then when thinking about the current roster I just don't see anybody who is ever going to reach those upper echelons. Maybe I am a missing something but there is just nobody that screams future hall-of-famer. I think that says a lot, and that's a bummer because holy hell they have one of the most talented rosters ever.

Maybe Daniel Bryan? Edited again to mention New Day, they seem to be bulletproof and like they'll be remembered a la DX.

There are several current stars who will be in the WWE HOF. A couple of them have a chance at being two-time inductees. I don't know enough about Meltzer's criteria when it comes to his HOF.

If you're talking about who among this crop who can break into the mainstream and become something more than a wrestling star, there are a couple of people who qualify,

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm thinking about all of the top stars from the 80s through the early 2000s, everybody from Backlund and Hogan to Austin and The Rock, and then when thinking about the current roster I just don't see anybody who is ever going to reach those upper echelons. Maybe I am a missing something but there is just nobody that screams future hall-of-famer. I think that says a lot, and that's a bummer because holy hell they have one of the most talented rosters ever.

Maybe Daniel Bryan? Edited again to mention New Day, they seem to be bulletproof and like they'll be remembered a la DX.

I would think Reigns and Rollins are surefire hall of famers, Orton and Cena of course, those you mentioned, but beyond that, maybe Owens?

10 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

There are several current stars who will be in the WWE HOF. A couple of them have a chance at being two-time inductees. I don't know enough about Meltzer's criteria when it comes to his HOF.

If you're talking about who among this crop who can break into the mainstream and become something more than a wrestling star, there are a couple of people who qualify,

Hey Burgundy:

It's actually fairly simple (considering that Dave invented it and tried to be as convoluted as possible); Voting criteria include the length of time spent in wrestling, historical significance, ability to attract viewers, and wrestling ability. 

Voters are from various groups based on their areas of expertise, there are a good many folk whose interests cover a rather broad swath. I vote in all categories, because let's face it, I am a dork who has nothing better to do than watch a bunch of wrestling from different places and eras.

It's rare when a wrestler is so outstanding in one cat that they get in, Benoit was probably the last guy to in just for ring work. 

It's funny, but the original list that Dave made with John D. Williams kibitzing while they were on a plane flight is pretty damn solid. That's 122 names that I couldn't find fault with, I originally argued against Jackie Fargo, but Dave convinced me that he belongs. So, all told, likely the best Wrestling Hall of Fame that we'll ever have.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Lost in all this I just realized that Victator is finally gone! Well done, Dolfan, I'd have booted his silly ass months ago, but then I have an Irish temper which is why I'm no longer a mod.

Yeah, well done Dolfan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

Yeah, well done Dolfan.

I know it's rather late in the game, but I for one would be all for replacing the Johnny Cash shot (and I do love Johnny Cash, don't get me wrong), with the heads on stakes gif, sort of added a note of grim finality to the proceedings if you know what I mean (and I'm sure that you do.)

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Yeah, well done Dolfan.

HIP HIP HOORAY...

DVDVR has Dolfan
The greatest moderator
He takes the mouse from post to post
Like no one's ever seen
He’s in the air, he’s on the ground
He’s always in control
And when you say Dolfan
You're talking super dude

'Cause he’s the...

Miami Dolfan,
Miami Dolfan
Miami Dolfan Number One.
Yes he’s the...
Miami Dolfan,
Miami Dolfan,
Miami Dolfan Number One

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

HIP HIP HOORAY...

DVDVR has Dolfan
The greatest moderator
He takes the mouse from post to post
Like no one's ever seen
He’s in the air, he’s on the ground
He’s always in control
And when you say Dolfan
You're talking super dude

'Cause we're the...

Miami Dolfan,
Miami Dolfan
Miami Dolfan Number One.
Yes he’s the...
Miami Dolfan,
Miami Dolfan,
Miami Dolfan Number One

Now there's thirty seconds of my life that I'll never get back.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I gotta think about restricting OSJ’s posting ability 

Oh, just say it, you know you love me.

Besides which, I am the straw that stirs the drink!

Edited by OSJ

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

There's no telling how many 30 second chunks of life you've lost on this board.

You know, when you consider that I go back to RSPW days and AOL chats, that's a really scary thought! Thankfully, at 61 I'm fit as a fiddle and likely to be here a long. long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Cody spent nine years on the WWE main roster, was a 2x IC champ and 5x tag champ, and was in quite a few memorable/high-profile matches during his tenure. I wouldn't necessarily compare him to the cup of coffee guys and other promoters. He's more in the lifelong midcarder boat. 

• Like 2

Speaking of the WON HOF, I believe Kenta Kobashi has the record for highest voting percentage with 98%. I can see Kazuchika Okada polling in the mid 90s when he's up. Okada will get in at the first time of asking.

• Like 1

Hot take: Lately, I think the WWE acts like more legitimate HoF than the Observer HoF. I just think of the Observer HoF and how early people can be inducted and it makes no sense. Like, getting inducted before your career is even close to being over is dumb.