DVDVR Message Board

NXT - JUNE 2019

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was either the specter of AEW, guys not wanting to sign their name over, or a combination of the two.

It’s weird because I always saw it as their olive branch to the indies as a “Hey, we’re giving you some of that power back that we took from you guys”.

It also depends on the guys - folks who were using their real names (Johnny Gargano, Matt Riddle, Keith Lee) tend to keep their names.

It is weird that they renamed Asuka and Kairi Sane but Io kept her name (though that might have to do with her being in the Mae Young Classic first)

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It also depends on the guys - folks who were using their real names (Johnny Gargano, Matt Riddle, Keith Lee) tend to keep their names.

It is weird that they renamed Asuka and Kairi Sane but Io kept her name (though that might have to do with her being in the Mae Young Classic first)

I'm guessing they didn't use "Hojo" because it's closely tied with Howard Johnson's.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In the case of Asuka she is a businesswoman. I imagine she wanted to retain the rights to the Kana name for whenever she eventually leaves. With Kairi, its the very likely Stardom owns the Kairi Hojo name. No idea with Io. The MYC participation is probably right.

Edited by Eivion

Spoiler

For people who haven't seen the name generator game it is:

ACH vs. Boa (not sure who BOA is)

Shane Strickland vs. Trevor Lee (can't wait to see this one)

Jonah Rock vs. Samuel Shaw

Garza Jr. vs DJZ (another potentially great match)

I love the concept of this tournament.  In the past these guys would have been jobbers for established stars and it would take a while to move up the ladder.  Now they are immediately involved in something important.

Edited by hammerva

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:
  Hide contents

ACH vs. Boa (not sure who BOA is)  

Spoiler

Yanbo Wang, one of the people they signed from China a couple of years back. 

Edited by MORELOCK

Guest Edwin
Spoiler

One of the funnest tapings I've attended.

Repackaged Punishment Martinez was excellent tonight. I wasn't a fan, but tonight he began changing my opinion on him. The new intro and character really helped.

Great six man tag between TUE vs. Riddle, Dream and Breeze. Not sure it will be as good as the Halftime Heat six man tag, but pretty close. Garza rules. It will be a shame if he doesn't win the tournament. He was easily the standout participant in the tournament which was great overall.

Bianca and Taynara still rule. Bianca steamrolling Diamante maybe her best performance to date. She looked incredible.

Another great Roderick Strong singles performance in his match against Breeze as Strong continues putting on amazing year.

Baffled at the entire Io deal. Fantastic match, but I feel the wrong person won and the heel change was pretty odd and probably not the best thing to happen to Io.

Spoiler

I'm glad to hear Io/Shayna was great. I'm not happy with the result, but I'm not surprised either. They have been building Candice and Mia up in the background the last few months now while no top level heel has really gotten the same level of treatment. Its clear one of them will dethrone Shayna in August. I think Io gets the top heel spot after Shayna leaves that which may not actually be a bad thing though it sucks since Io could have easily been one of the most over faces in NXT had they not dragged Shayna's run out so damn much. Still heel Io should be good.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

I'm glad to hear Io/Shayna was great. I'm not happy with the result, but I'm not surprised either. They have been building Candice and Mia up in the background the last few months now while no top level heel has really gotten the same level of treatment. Its clear one of them will dethrone Shayna in August. I think Io gets the top heel spot after Shayna leaves that which may not actually be a bad thing though it sucks since Io could have easily been one of the most over faces in NXT had they not dragged Shayna's run out so damn much. Still heel Io should be good.

Spoiler

The heel side for the women's division is pretty barren, so it's probably better in the long run for Io to be heel.  She can probably get a longer title run since HHH loves to book dominant heel champs.  I think Yim is up next for Shayna with Io and Candice feuding under that.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per multiple reports - Session Moth Martina will be signing (most likely for NXT UK)

That's great for her though from what I've seen I can't help but wonder how well her stuff will translate to NXT UK.

52 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That's great for her though from what I've seen I can't help but wonder how well her stuff will translate to NXT UK.

I think you can PG her act, keep the "party girl" stuff while getting rid of the drunk and lewd part of her act.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I think you can PG her act, keep the "party girl" stuff while getting rid of the drunk and lewd part of her act.

I'm already dreading Michael Cole explaining how she just likes to have fun.  I mean, I guess you can but I do worry about it being watered down even if she never did the drunk and lewd part.

44 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

How am I only now noticing that Sam Shaw's new gimmick name is Dexter?

Terrible. Just terrible. 

My guess is he chose it based on the show. Maybe he's going to have a gimmick similar to his TNA one.