DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - JUNE

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Waving at an umpire? That's a paddling, or an ejection for Justin Turner.

Ridiculous, just another example of the umps thinking fans bought tickets to see them. Look, unless you're Bill Klem and having fist fights with HOFrs like Cobb and Hornsby after the game, get the fuck outta here with that weakass shit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

After shitting the bed... again... last night - the Nats have released Trevor Rosenthal

Those crafty Mariners will be all over this!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, OSJ said:

Ridiculous, just another example of the umps thinking fans bought tickets to see them. Look, unless you're Bill Klem and having fist fights with HOFrs like Cobb and Hornsby after the game, get the fuck outta here with that weakass shit.

I actually don't have a problem with the ejection. Griping about a borderline pitch and not shutting up after multiple warnings? Yeah, you gotta go. 

From the ESPN article:

The dustup with beat writer Tim Healey of Newsday occurred after the Mets blew a late lead in a 5-3 defeat to the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field. There was no physical contact.

In a story published by Newsday on Sunday night, Healey said Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon called him "to apologize on behalf of the organization."

The incident followed a tense postgame news conference, when reporters asked Callaway repeatedly about his decision to stick with reliever Seth Lugo during the eighth inning instead of going to closer Edwin Diaz. Lugo allowed a go-ahead, three-run homer to Javier Baez.

After the news conference, Callaway walked past Healey and other reporters in the clubhouse. Healey told Callaway he would "see you tomorrow," and Callaway responded by calling Healey an obscenity. Callaway walked away and then returned, cursing at Healey again and telling him to leave the clubhouse.

"I thought he was leaving for the day, so I said, 'See you tomorrow, Mickey,'" Healey said. "And then he said, 'Don't be a smart-ass.'

"I tried to tell him, I didn't mean anything by it," Healey added. "I was just saying, 'I'll see you tomorrow.' And then he said, 'Get this guy out of here,' and that got the attention of Jason Vargas."

Vargas stared down Healey and eventually tried to charge him. Players stepped in to restrain the veteran left-hander.

Healey left the clubhouse moments later. He said Wilpon called later in the evening to apologize.

16 hours ago, OSJ said:

Robot umps can't get here fast enough. I don't care about the "human element" when more often than not, the human element fucks up the game.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

The dimensions for the field in London will be 330 down the lines, 385 to dead center (with a 16 foot high wall).

Foul territory will be "Oakland like"

They are going to score 41815252 runs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I don't hate much in this world, but umpires are one of them.

I have the same affliction. So much so that it involves intense self-loathing during Little League season when I have to ump games.

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

I have the same affliction. So much so that it involves intense self-loathing during Little League season when I have to ump games.

See, I think that's fine because little league can't afford the technology that MLB can afford. Plus, I think at that age, and even for travel ball, umps are an important part of the learning process.

But once you get to the majors, there's literally no reason to keep umps. And the argument that the umps bring the "human element" to the game openly acknowledges that baseball needs to have blown calls, poorly called strikes and balls, etc. It's just really ridiculous to me.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

But once you get to the majors, there's literally no reason to keep umps. And the argument that the umps bring the "human element" to the game openly acknowledges that baseball needs to have blown calls, poorly called strikes and balls, etc. It's just really ridiculous to me.

You do realize that umps do far more than balls and strikes right?

Robots will able to make zero of the on field calls.

Not to mention the game management piece like substitutions, pitching changes, etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

More fun with the Mets

The front office has made in-game decisions

The New York Mets' front office has dictated at least some pitching moves during games this season, multiple organizational sources confirmed to ESPN's Buster Olney.

The New York Post was the first to report the unusual machinations, citing a specific incident on June 1, when Jacob deGrom was removed from a game while dealing with a hip cramp.

Front offices are typically heavily involved in the planning of lineups and possible pitching matchups before each game, but generally, most managers have the autonomy to make moves through the course of each contest, often applying the information provided by analysts and executives.

Some evaluators with other teams reiterated Monday it is very rare for a member of the front office -- an owner or general manager -- to direct managerial decisions during games.

Under Sandy Alderson, who was fired as general manager of the Mets last year, the manager was left to make in-game decisions. Sources say that has changed under Brodie Van Wagenen, who is in his first year as general manager of the Mets, with directives being forwarded to manager Mickey Callaway through clubhouse staff.

Callaway, in his second year as Mets manager and his first working under Van Wagenen, has accepted and implemented the directives, according to the sources.

Van Wagenen on Monday denied reports he was getting involved in strategic in-game decisions following the Mets' 13-7 loss to Philadelphia, but he said communicating with the training staff during games was "normal protocol."

"We're evaluating the players' health, we're talking about X-rays, we're talking about whether a player -- as you all know -- we try to get information to the press box as quickly as possible about the statuses. That is normal protocol for us," the GM said. "We'll continue to do that and make sure that if the training staff and the health of the player is such that the player can't continue, then that communication happens between the training staff and the coaches."

Callaway downplayed the instructions from Van Wagenen when asked about them after Monday's game, saying his communication with upper management is limited only to injuries.

"I think we're always in communication," Callaway said. "Especially when guys are injured, obviously I've been filled in on what you're talking about. When a guy gets injured on the field or when a guy is actively injured or has something going on, you know everybody is in communication with the training staff to take care of the players the best we can."

The Post reported that Van Wagenen was watching the June 1 game on TV when he relayed an order to remove deGrom in the seventh inning after Callaway and a trainer visited deGrom twice on the mound. Callaway said Monday that deGrom's removal was a mutual decision.

"I think that we got information from all parties and we made the decision to take care of our ace pitcher that's going to be here for a long time," he said. "We all thought it was prudent at that point."

Asked if he has the latitude to manage how he wants, Callaway said, "Yeah, I do, I do. Yeah."

Callaway came under fire Sunday after cursing at a reporter following questions about his decisions on pitching changes. The incident earned him a fine from the team, and he apologized to the reporter, as well as the assembled media on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27048818/mets-front-office-making-game-moves

• Sad 1