DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - JUNE

Dolfan in NYC

My company had "Company night" at Coors Field tonight for the Rockies/ Padres game. I had to leave after the fifth to get home to take care of the dogs as the rest of the household is on vacation. 

Good thing, if I'd stick around for a 12 inning 16 to 12 loss I'd probably have cursed so much in front of the regional bosses and fellow employees kids that I'd have fucked all chances at eventually becoming office. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He had me hella laughing when he did this. Such a smart thing to do if you think the guy is relaying signals. Especially now that the slidepiece and the curve are more routine weapons for him. It's not just cutter cutter cutter. Plus the fact that he doesn't really bounce anything, so the WP / PB worry isn't really there. And while anything is possible, Caratini likely isn't going to yank one into the seats to tie it, so best case for CHC there is that he drives him in and keeps the line moving. 

On 6/15/2019 at 2:13 PM, grilledcheese said:

He had me hella laughing when he did this. Such a smart thing to do if you think the guy is relaying signals. Especially now that the slidepiece and the curve are more routine weapons for him. It's not just cutter cutter cutter. Plus the fact that he doesn't really bounce anything, so the WP / PB worry isn't really there. And while anything is possible, Caratini likely isn't going to yank one into the seats to tie it, so best case for CHC there is that he drives him in and keeps the line moving. 

Jomboy Media on YouTube has an excellent breakdown of the intentional balk.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2019 at 7:19 PM, RIPPA said:

Because it’s a day that ends in Y - Seattle has made a trade 

Edwin Encarnacion to Yankees

Why this will change EVERYTHING!!! Do you think that the commissioner's office will approve this? I'm liking this trade a lot, particularly if it comes with three large pizzas with extra toppings.

(He bunted into left field against the shift. And the LF was playing crazy deep because... reasons.) 

Why yes, it *was* against the Marlins, because of course it was.  

tenor.gif

I hate baseball. 

• Like 3

From CNN's latest update:

David Ortiz was not the intended target of the murder-for-hire plot that led to the former Red Sox star being shot, authorities in the Dominican Republic said Wednesday.

Prosecutor Jean Alain Rodríguez Sánchez told reporters that a friend of Ortiz, Sixto David Fernandez, who was seated at the player's table, was the target of the bungled hit. Fernandez and Ortiz were wearing similar clothes.

13 hours ago, dogwelder said:

From CNN's latest update:

This makes a lot of sense when you add, "After the lead prosecutor and detectives found a completely filled, giant 50 gallon sized garbage bag with a dollar sign painted on the side...." 

Here are some more details

The Tampa Bay Rays received permission from Major League Baseball's executive council to explore a plan in which they would play early-season home games in the Tampa Bay area and the remainder of the year in Montreal, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

While the plan is in its nascent stages, the Rays have embraced the two-city solution as the most feasible to saving baseball in the Tampa Bay area after years of failed attempts to build a new stadium in the region, according to sources.

------------------

Under the plan, the Rays would play in new stadiums in both the Tampa Bay area and Montreal, according to sources. The ability to play games early in the season in Florida would preclude the need for a domed stadium, cutting the cost of a new building. A month ago, Bronfman -- who along with Montreal businessman Mitch Garber has expressed interest in taking a minority stake in the Rays alongside owner Stuart Sternberg -- reached an agreement with a developer on a site in Montreal's Point-Saint-Charles neighborhood to potentially build a new stadium. The number of home games each city would receive has not been determined, according to sources.

Significant hurdles remain for the plan to take root, sources said. Though two cities sharing a team isn't entirely novel -- the Expos played 22 home games in Puerto Rico in 2003, and Kansas City and Omaha split home games with the NBA's Kings in the 1970s -- the viability of long-term success remains in question.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27016429/sources-rays-explore-playing-montreal

So if this actually happens, would the Rays then own the history of the Expos or would the Nationals still own that?   I guess it would follow similar to the Indianapolis Colts who still own the history even when the Browns became the Baltimore Ravens. 

Edited by hammerva

Just now, hammerva said:

So if this actually happens, would the Rays then own the history of the Expos or would the Nationals still own that?   I guess it would follow similar to the Indianapolis Colts who still own the history even when the Browns became the Baltimore Ravens. 

There would be no link to the Expos at all. 

The bigger question to me is how the fuck they would get the Blue Jays to agree.

Since it is one thing for a 2nd Canadian team but in the other league. But a 2nd Canadian team in the AL East... yeah... good luck with that

(Though it did lead me to think of a scenario where MLB would flip the Rays and Marlins. God @Dolfan in NYC hates me enough already.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

There would be no link to the Expos at all. 

The bigger question to me is how the fuck they would get the Blue Jays to agree.

Since it is one thing for a 2nd Canadian team but in the other league. But a 2nd Canadian team in the AL East... yeah... good luck with that

(Though it did lead me to think of a scenario where MLB would flip the Rays and Marlins. God @Dolfan in NYC hates me enough already.)

Just move them to Austin already. 

But they might build a park for half a team with the understanding that they would one day become a full-time resident. I agree with you in that this is likely just some "Be nice to us or we'll leave!" type shit, though.

With what appears to be Manfred's never-ending search for someplace to expand again, I'd rather they just bring the Expos back that way alongside the Portland or Vancouver or Las Vegas or Charlotte or Nashville franchise or wherever it ends up being.