DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - JUNE

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm on vacation, but I'm happy to say that my team *checks notes* has the SECOND worst record in the majors. 

Progress! 

Without looking, I'll guess that the Mariners have the worst? The greatest freedom about living in New Mexico after fifty years in Seattle is that we no longer have to pretend that we give a fuck about the Mariners. I don't think I can cite another team that had as many perennial all-stars and future HOFRs pass through their ranks as the M's and still fail to get the job done. Look, if you can't win with Griffey, Rodriguez, Martinez, Buhner, and Randy Fucking Johnson on the mound, you should just contract the fucking thing and start over.

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

Without looking, I'll guess that the Mariners have the worst? The greatest freedom about living in New Mexico after fifty years in Seattle is that we no longer have to pretend that we give a fuck about the Mariners. I don't think I can cite another team that had as many perennial all-stars and future HOFRs pass through their ranks as the M's and still fail to get the job done. Look, if you can't win with Griffey, Rodriguez, Martinez, Buhner, and Randy Fucking Johnson on the mound, you should just contract the fucking thing and start over.

No, Baltimore

I don't think the MLB Draft has to try harder to be more like more popular drafts in other sports... there's sort of an absurd fun to the concept most of the draft is conducted over a conference call like it';s 1991. At least the draftees know they've been drafted these days.

This Royals season is about making fans realize that it doesn't matter how non-shitty the hitting is as long as the pitching sucks. It's also about a feud between the Royals and White Sox that is a bit too much like Jimmy Valiant vs Paul Jones Army.

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No, Baltimore

I mentioned before that when I was a kid there was an amusing book entitled "The Orioles Way to Play Baseball" with sage comments from Brooks and Frank Robinson and so on. Pity none of the current roster appears to have read it... Most of it was just Baseball 101, (the pitcher should always be ready to cover first, wait for your pitch, get in front of grounders) and stuff like that.

• Like 2

Apparently the on again/off again Jay Bruce to Phillies trade is finally officially on

Philly is taking on the majority of Bruce's contract so Seattle is only getting a random minor leaguer back

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently the on again/off again Jay Bruce to Phillies trade is finally officially on

Philly is taking on the majority of Bruce's contract so Seattle is only getting a random minor leaguer back

Edwin Encarnacion's gotta be the next one up on the way out.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Actually Seattle is covering the bulk of it. Philly is only paying 2.5 million of Bruce's salary. Seattle's on the line for the remainder. 

Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel both no longer have draft compensation attached to them so expect them to be signed sooner rather than later

Free agent Draft comp is something that has probably been incoherent. But I guess it was worse back when Elias was giving people comp picks for losing middle relievers in the 2000s (The Royals got a comp pick for losing David Riske once).

If it weren't the Red Sox and Astros, it would seem even less fair that they would lose Keuchel/Kimbrel and get nothing because the market froze on those players. Then again, if the Royals pick somebody at 2 and doesn't actually sign them, they get the #3 pick next year to go along with where their regular pick lands (so one of the bad teams could get the 2 of the top 5 picks if they want to forsake signing somebody right now).

Bobby Witt Jr got drafted 2nd overall tonight. Bobby Sr was drafted 3rd back in his day

Thus

The Witts became the highest-drafted father-son duo, topping Tom Grieve (No. 6, 1966) and Ben Grieve (No. 2, 1994). They are the seventh father-son combination of first-rounders and the first since Delino DeShields (1987) and Delino DeShields Jr. (2010).

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah maybe the Ms should trade everyone

At least they're set up good for the future thanks to Brodie Van Sucker. This is why only stupid teams give up a ton of assets for a closer: in 99.999999999% of cases the position is completely random where one year a guy is lights out and the next he's trash. It's the baseball equivalent of spending big on a goalie in hockey not named Dominik Hasek, Patrick Roy or Marty Brodeur. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

TL:DR version of Deadspin article

NEVER HUSTLE!!!

Eventually we will eliminate the field of play since almost no assets get hurt on solo dingers and strikeouts and that's all that matters anyways.

• Like 1

Isn't the article saying that if Jean Segura was hustling that the injury would never have happened?

"Padres second baseman Ian Kinsler, settling under the ball, noticed that Segura, who’d put an ugly swing on the ball and lost his balance after contact, was making no real effort to hustle up the first baseline."

If he legs it out to first, Kinsler likely doesn't let the pop up drop and McCutchen is never caught in the rundown?

The article also says "McCutchen engaging in an earnest rundown, instead of just accepting the double play"

But yes they shit on Segura too but for being clumsy ("Let’s hope McCutchen’s reward for being trapped between a cheeky infielder and a clumsy teammate isn’t especially severe")

12 minutes ago, elizium said:

Isn't the article saying that if Jean Segura was hustling that the injury would never have happened?

"Padres second baseman Ian Kinsler, settling under the ball, noticed that Segura, who’d put an ugly swing on the ball and lost his balance after contact, was making no real effort to hustle up the first baseline."

If he legs it out to first, Kinsler likely doesn't let the pop up drop and McCutchen is never caught in the rundown?

The implication was when it was apparent that Kinsler was gonna let it drop, that Cutch should've just glared down Segura for being a clutz and not actually play the game of baseball at 100%.