DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Heck, I just hope he has a really comfortable travel pillow and eye mask.

54 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Long trip to job out to Brock.

Jesus. My feelings have completely changed on anyone awesome going to WWE. Now I'm just going to feel bad for how they're going to be wasted, like Ricochet.

I like that they made Ricochet a tag wrestler with Black too at least match up with the angle in NXT, but then they made him a singles dude and did the one thing they know how to do, which is stick him in a heatless 50/50 feud with Cesaro.

Ricochet and Black were the two guys I was convinced they couldn't fuck up. Like, it would be impossible. And Ricochet is doing his thing and Black is just doing a promo from a folding chair each week. Maybe he'll do something after Friday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I hope @BEN! resume is up to date

THE RESUME OF BEN!

The hours grew longer, my patience ever shorter.  Finally, I returned from whence I left.  The dwelling as dark as I had left it that morn.  With every step, an article of clothing discarded until my now nude body fell upon the bed.  My sheer respite interrupted by the light touch of finely manicured fingernails gliding over my back seemingly typing messages of lust upon my skin.  Soft kisses descended upon my neck.

"Argh! What are you doing here?" I hollered shockingly into the darkness.  "I live here," she angrily replied. "This is my apartment, Ben."

"Where do I live?" I wondered aloud.  "Not here, asshole!" she said as the blistering fire in her eyes burned hotter than the incandescent light bulbs that now flooded the room with bright searing light.

And that's the story of why I don't own any suits anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

So it's not really related to the dopey ROH nonsense, but it made me think of it. I was at a Hamburg field house taping and there was a Fuji-Saito against Steve Travis-Quickdraw McGraw match that was a heater for the dark match that was Fuji/Saito against the Strongbows. The first match was an even affair until the heels eventually got the upper hand and tied the faces in the ropes and were beating the hell out of them, including Captain Lou using a cane. The Strongbows came out for the save and the heels scurried toward the heel dressing room and by this time the crowd is going old school ape shit. Almost right in front of me a dude in a heavy lather jumps the railing and heads right into the aisle and gets DECKED by a left hook from Mr. Saito. They just keep on moving right into the back like it was cool.

Non sequitur to anything but there you go.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - if folks are wonder what the ROH stuff is all about - visit that thread

(The last two or three pages)

Of all the posts you could have used to link to that thread.........  sigh. 

• Haha 4

I can't wait for the WWE to attempt to turn all the morale problems they're having into some sort of awful worked shoot storyline. How much longer do you think it will be until someone (Rollins, probably) cuts a faux-"pipebomb"? It's gotta be before Summerslam, right?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I can't wait for the WWE to attempt to turn all the morale problems they're having into some sort of awful worked shoot storyline. How much longer do you think it will be until someone (Rollins, probably) cuts a faux-"pipebomb"? It's gotta be before Summerslam, right?

Didn’t Rollins already do that before TLC last year when he hung the ratings issues on Corbin?

I guess we’re now waiting for a less worky worked shoot. This is truly rock bottom. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Even a worked-shoot thing doesn't work. Ultimately right now, WWE just has the Disease of More in a big way. There's too many similarities to a top basketball team: They win the title or come close with a close-knit unit, and then the next year it's "I want more money." "I want more recognition, I deserve to be as big a star as the top star is." "I want more shots called for me so I can be a big name." "I want more playing time, I deserve it for how good I am", and eventually the whole thing falls apart.

There's problems with the writing, of course, but this seems like something even good writing would fix because everyone on the roster wants more- more face time on the big shows, more match time to get over, more creative control, more titles...just "more".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Dustin is on Jericho's pod today. 

This is going to be very interesting to see the AEW company line in action, of whether it will be "okay, we can live in the same world as WWE" like they claimed, or a TNA-esque "they misused me UP NORTH, but here in [x] WRESTLING MATTERS and I can be who I truly am!"

Even with Moxley, most of his claims made sense...but honestly, Dustin Rhodes doesn't seem to have that many reasons to hate WWE on paper. He had a very long career with them, got far more out of a seeming mid-'90s stupid gimmick like Goldust than he could ever get, had multiple runs in very, very different eras (and in addition, managed to make a gimmick that should have died with the turn of the century remain valid well after it had any right doing so). They seemed to treat him well...never a World Title reign, but it was like Goldust wasn't supposed to be that type of person. Even Goldust's release was WWE saying "yeah, we hate to lose you, and we know you're going right to AEW because it's your brother's promotion...but we respect you so much that if this is what you want, we won't stand in your way." 

Even the "but I need the pursuit of art" thing doesn't totally click there...yes, Cody/Dustin was a bonafide classic...but it's almost like the overarching story building to it made it so Cody Rhodes was the only human being on the planet Dustin could have pulled that off against (and very likely, vice-versa.) .

You...

Dustin definitely isn't trashing WWE hard, and most of his complaints are pretty understandable and made reasonably. About them forcing him into really tight time windows with no wiggle room, about not giving him and Cody the chance to have a WrestleMania match (it's not good enough for the big show), about how the last few years he's been losing his passion for wrestling... It's not as extreme as Moxley, and he clearly has more good than bad memories of WWE, but he's not ignoring the problems either.

It's definitely not a declaration of war, or an old TNA style rant.

• Like 2

Oh, and he did say that they basically agreed to release him, pay him out on a 90 day, pay him for the time missed while he was inured, etc... And then suddenly legal got involved. He doesn't give any details on what that was, and says he just let his lawyer deal with it, but it felt like he was maybe glossing over something that got a little ugly.

But he also says he cried when talking to them about leaving, and again in a phone conversation with Triple H.

All in all, it's a real balanced take.

As someone who is clueless to a lot of Dustin's early work, what are some of his matches worth checking out? My earliest memories of seeing him was around the angle where he got electrocuted and had the stutter which I imagine is a poor introduction to him.

6 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

As someone who is clueless to a lot of Dustin's early work, what are some of his matches worth checking out? My earliest memories of seeing him was around the angle where he got electrocuted and had the stutter which I imagine is a poor introduction to him.

It looks like Dustin of the Day is gone, but I found this thread.

13 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

How deep a dive do you want to do? Like, look, there's almost no better way to spend the next few months in your wrestling watching than watching a bunch of Dustin. 

Start with the Flordia 89 Funk match. 

Then watch the Dibiase ten minute challenge

Then go into 91 WCW. You want something from the summer, maybe vs the York Foundation or the GAB six man vs the Freebirds, Something like this to get a sense of him:

(Dustin/Morton vs Taylor/Arn). 

And then Austin vs Dustin from Havoc 91 (it's on the network), which sort of feels like his first big match and big performance in WCW. Austin's too really.

After that, get back to us with your thoughts and I'll be happy to talk to you about the rest of 91 and 92. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Victator said:

Thank you for not posting a wall of stupid like Craig did. I might disagree with you, but I can at least appreciate what you are trying to say. Craig just went every where and was not really coherent. It ended with something about a guy with Aids blading and not informing people he works with. I'm not sure why he thinks I or anyone else would approve of that. 

The damage is cumulative, Ryan alone cannot do anything, but he has become the face of the mediocre indy talent eating shit to get attention. Over a decade ago and before, the indy scene was a real alternative to WWE and TNA. But now you see an arms race between WWE and various indy hucksters desperate for attention. So no they are not all doing sexual spots, since Ryan has that market cornered. But you get other stupid shit that hurts wrestling and frankly it is already in very bad shape. 

I want AEW to succeed, WWE getting a true rival would benefit everyone. Because things are in a hole and this could pull us out, but not if they book every indy freakshow.

Joey Ryan didn't start the "indies trying to get eyeballs" thing.  There have been indy shows doing dumb shit for attention since long before Abe Lincoln tapped out that dude by the campfire.  Wrestling is still doing fine.  There's no long term damage outside of the damage guys like Cornette do by telling anyone who listens that modern wrestling isn't worth their time, killing off scores of would-be paying customers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Joey Ryan didn't start the "indies trying to get eyeballs" thing.  There have been indy shows doing dumb shit for attention since long before Abe Lincoln tapped out that dude by the campfire.  Wrestling is still doing fine.  There's no long term damage outside of the damage guys like Cornette do by telling anyone who listens that modern wrestling isn't worth their time, killing off scores of would-be paying customers.

The problem with it is when they go too far! Like let’s go back to your Lincoln example. The dude became President for crying out loud. Wasn’t that enough attention? No, that dude fucking worked an angle with a Confederate spy to get deep color because “The guy in the back needs to see that shit”. Fucking Booth had never worked with blades before, so he went with the next best thing he knew. That angle killed the territories for a while. Regardless of the outcome, Lincoln was a hardcore SOB. So props to the “Kentucky Mad Man”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6