DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Okay - actually - to really really get all the evil out I will also mention that both Fightful and Pro Wrestling Sheet had reports today with more unnamed WWE wrestlers confirming Moxley's versions of events

(I can't find the PWS/Ryan Satin tweet at the moment)

Also of interest - Tyler Breeze was doing a Q&A on Twitter and a few things of interest

- he said he asked to go back to NXT and the decision was basically made by him and Triple H (obviously take this with some salt)

- He said the most unexpected friendship he formed in NXT was with KENTA

- Finn Balor was the go between on getting Liger to work Takeover

The thing about guys going back to NXT is interesting because Triple H was asked about it pre-Takeover and said it was a "feel" thing. But I highly doubt more than maybe one other person gets moved (especially if the reports of Killian Dain going back end up being true)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also of interest - Tyler Breeze was doing a Q&A on Twitter and a few things of interest

- he said he asked to go back to NXT and the decision was basically made by him and Triple H (obviously take this with some salt)

- He said the most unexpected friendship he formed in NXT was with KENTA

- Finn Balor was the go between on getting Liger to work Takeover

The thing about guys going back to NXT is interesting because Triple H was asked about it pre-Takeover and said it was a "feel" thing. But I highly doubt more than maybe one other person gets moved (especially if the reports of Killian Dain going back end up being true)

I wonder how much if any of Breezes move was UUDD related? 

He(Hunter) is probably hesitant about sending guys back down. For one they would be sending guys with main roster contract money down. So that might increase the tour budget for NXT. Another thing is he probably doesn’t want what’s currently happening with the main roster, and it’s “Wild Card Rule” causing new acts to get pushed off TV for roster jumping performers.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

48 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

What the hell is a pushchair? It's that a stroller?

Stroll is just a common word for Perambulate, brother.

• Like 1

The whole idea of NXT being a combination developmental/super indie is all well and good but one of the drawbacks is sending guys for re-tooling is pretty much over (though, in this day and age, you could argue it can't be done). If WWE developmental was where it is now 5 6 years ago, Husky Harris never becomes Bray Wyatt, Nicky never becomes Dolph Ziggler, etc. I mean really, they've gotta figure it out. It's not even like you can send them to Evolve or one of the UK promotions or whatever, because they're going to be wanting to use whoever it is to draw (relatively speaking, of course) so I doubt they'd agree to send someone who's been on WWE TV out unnanounced as a new gimmick or trying out a heel turn. I mean basically the only way it makes sense now is someone coming back from injury or the old Big Show/Mark Henry weight loss tour. That being said I really enjoyed the Breeze/Dream match live, big reaction for the finish and the goofy phone shit.

Wow, such restraint, if I had mod powers, literally every person in this thread would be banned for like 6 months including myself just to prove a point.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I love a couple episodes back as it relates to Lio Rush, super far left liberal Jim Cornette got mad because he thought Lio was playing the race card. Oh Jimmy, fortunately, you don't work for a organization that actually matters. Maybe because I'm a straight African-American male but not gay like Sonny Kiss, I found that to be more offensive. He sounded high and mighty on that one and racist to boot. With the battle royale, I knew he was going to go off on that entire thing. That was like half of the review.

I hadn't heard this one, and if this is the case, well that really fucking blows. Only time I heard Cornette talk about Lio was an episode where he reviewed a Raw - the one with Lio/Lashley vs Finn/Ricochet. He actually put over Lio a ton, then. I hadn't listened to everything he's put out, so forgive me for missing that. ☹️

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Stroll is just a common word for Perambulate, brother.

On the non-controversial topic of prams, you do get the rich parents who just go all out on the true old-fashioned prams for thousands of pounds. We had a friend who did that I was like WTF, spend the money on something the kid will enjoy...

Anyway, I saw that list again from Naylor to Triple Hs assistant back in 2012 of recommended signings. Is that the catalyst that set NXT on its inexorable journey towards the super-Indy / PWG with a budget? Was the intention always to be workrate heavy or did that come along due to the strengths and influences of those whom WWE signed?

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Probably because I looked up that Kharis match, this showed up in my suggestions and you should all watch it too since it's a workrate classic the likes of which this site was built upon

Funnily enough - we were just talking about that match in the Dean health thread last week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Wow, such restraint, if I had mod powers, literally every person in this thread would be banned for like 6 months including myself just to prove a point.

When the revolution comes, you're the first against the wall...

So SBS Viceland are airing "Dark Side of the Ring" in Australia. First ep last night was the death of Brusier Brody.

I knew the basic outline of the story but didn't realise it happened in the locker room with witnesses. Crazy stuff. From a film perspective it wasnt too bad but there were a few too many rambling scenes with Tony Atlas for my liking. I feel like they needed to break up some of his stuff with a VO from Foley.

I did love how Atlas had to mention that the paramedics couldn't lift Brody on the stretcher so he just squat lifted the guy single-handed.

My wife thought it was great though. She was right onto Colon as being a scumbag and when Atlas was talking about how Colon was trying to calm everyone down she said "He probably planned it!"

Overall it was interesting & we are looking forward to the next episode.

Edit - It also was funny how styles/looks roll around again. Both my wife and I agreed that Brody looked like he could be Elias' dad. The footage of him with his hair tied back was something that could easily transition into 2019 and not look out of place.

Edited by L_W_P

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

Anyone who wants to take a One Wing Angel from me, sign this waiver and I'll give you one.  

I think wrestling fandom as a whole doesn't understand criticism.  It is easy to just claim everything you don't like is dumb and useless, but that isn't a constructive conversation.  It is like the Cole vs. Gargano match from Saturday night.  Plenty of people are flat out calling it a bad match, which it wasn't.  It may not fit your taste, it may have been overdramatic, it may have been overkill, it could be a lot of things, but it wasn't a bad match.  It was a well-worked match that told a pretty cohesive story, and they held the crowd in the palm of their hand the entire time.  That is good wrestling whether we like it or we don't.  Calling Kenny Omega talentless kind of makes the rest of the conversation about how ridiculous that comment is, rather than what you think is wrong with Omega's work.  It just derails the entire conversation.

Oh God, are we going to have the whole objectively bad vs. subjectively bad argument here? Cause there's enough of that on YouTube.

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I hope @BEN! resume is up to date

Does WWE actually honor Writers Guild union rules and accommodations for its creative staff? If so, that kind of makes the lack of union accommodations for wrestlers even more fucked up.

I am just cringing at the idea that the guy that came up with the "pooper scooper" line is part received union benefits but Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley doesnt. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I hope @BEN! resume is up to date

If I ever suddenly disappear from this board without a trace, you'll know what happened to me One Year Later when the IIconics suddenly start squashing everyone like they're the 1980s Road Warriors.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

When the revolution comes, you're the first against the wall...

I'll take everyone with me or die trying.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:36 PM, christopher.annino said:

Cornette is pretty fucking intensely liberal, which seems to be greatly ignored in this discussion. I'm pretty sure he's not anti-LGBTQ, anti-woman, or even fucking ableist but in the context of pro-wrestling he's got a very specific idea of what's right and what's wrong and the latter includes a dude with no legs eliminating other guys from a battle royal. I'm not saying he's right, and I'm not saying he's a saint outside of the business, but I am saying that if anybody thinks him hating Joey Ryan's dick-throw spot means Jim's a homophobe? Yeah you're 100% wrong, and that's coming from a dude that's pretty into dudes being with other dudes. 

Speaking of, I actually felt a minor twinge of pain in my heart when I saw that video with Finn and his girlfriend - not because he's dating a woman, good on him being happy - but I honestly thought he was gay and we'd eventually get an openly gay WWE dude who's already super fucking over and also a total snack. OH WELL.

That is because they either don't listen to the show or they know it undermines their argument. 

I love the argument that hates Joey Ryan's stupid dick spot is homophobic, really shows what they think of Gay Men. Ryan thinks all gay men are anxious to grab any penis they can or have their penis grabbed. A nice variation of a man accusing any woman who rejects him of being a lesbian.

And thru out these discussions here and on twitter, I have never seen anyone really defend Ryan as a performer or that spot. They will say it draws, which is debatable, but WWE has done some stupid shit and they make a ton omoney. The Raw where Triple H humped a dummy dressed as Kane, WWE made more money than Ryan will ever see, is Katie Vick a good angle. 

Ryan's hypnosis of a small portion of indy fans and promoters is fascination. What is going to happen is they are going to do this shit at a show and someone is going to contact the sheriff or athletic commission and they will be up shit creek. Something that happened to the indies in New Jersey and Kentucky in 2000.

I will leave this here, I have never embedded a tweet, so forgive me if its botched.

I suck at embedding, just click the link my lovelies.

Edited by Victator

Again, neither Ryan nor anyone else I've seen are saying Jim is homophobic because he doesn't like Ryan's penis stuff.

Cornette used a transphobic slur and some generally homophobic language about Sonny Kiss. Ryan tweeted about that. 

• Thanks 1