DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

I love a couple episodes back as it relates to Lio Rush, super far left liberal Jim Cornette got mad because he thought Lio was playing the race card. Oh Jimmy, fortunately, you don't work for a organization that actually matters. Maybe because I'm a straight African-American male but not gay like Sonny Kiss, I found that to be more offensive. He sounded high and mighty on that one and racist to boot. With the battle royale, I knew he was going to go off on that entire thing. That was like half of the review.

• Like 2

Or, some of us are just being sarcastic about the talent thing.

I don't dig Kenny in ring, and I'm going to joke about him not being good at the pro-wrestling I enjoy, but I mean, I can't do a Posion Rana and get people to throw money at me to act out Fire Pro matches for 45 minutes, so there's that.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Or, some of us are just being sarcastic about the talent thing.

I don't dig Kenny in ring, and I'm going to joke about him not being good at the pro-wrestling I enjoy, but I mean, I can't do a Posion Rana and get people to throw money at me to act out Fire Pro matches for 45 minutes, so there's that.

Hey, that's all that needs to be said ?   I don't understand why..   let me backtrack.  I understand why Cornette is going to be hyperbolic because it sells to someone but I don't think there's a need for us to be as insane as he is on the pods. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

I mean, you essentially seem to be saying "people that are smart about the business know that Kenny Omega is a good wrestler." If you can't accept that some people hate Kenny's wrestling style and aren't trolling or saying it to be contrary, I don't know what to tell you.

This is the dumbest fucking argument and I feel like an idiot for being baited here.  He didn't say he hated his style.  That's twice now that you've framed Cornette's trolling, dumb statement as just some disagreement with how Omega wrestles and that is absolutely not what he said.

He literally said the guy is a marginally better Tom McGee.  Why are you moving the goalposts and reinterpreting Cornette's dumb statement?  

I believe Cornette is a really smart guy who knows a shit ton about wrestling.  I think we can objectively agree with that.  I think we can also objectively agree that Omega, for whatever hate boner Cornette and his sycophants have for him, is probably worlds better than a guy who washed out of wrestling in short order.  Therefore Cornette is being intellectually dishonest, insincere, disingenuous, trolling, whatever you want to call it.  His podcast is a waste of time because you're not getting Jim Cornette, brilliant wrestling historian.  You're getting Jim Cornette, wrestling character. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And us giving the fucker word of mouth and discussion is just wasting time too.

There's so much stuff I love that people will shit on.  I'm watching a match where a dude got a BBQ skewer through his face and wrestled for five minutes like that.  The announcers are almost too grossed out to call the match.  Good times.  Cornette would shit on Sakuda too.  You know who I'd rather hang out with?  Probably Kenny Omega and/or Sakuda.  We could play Bad Dudes or something.

Cornette had a fucking mummy that bled sand in SMW.  All this "x is killing the business" shit is a fucking work.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’d be okay if it turns out he is in love with the Kung Pao Chicken, and can not stop having it.

Shane likes his chicken spicy.

It's really not as good without the clips to go with the quotes.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Tromatagon said:

I'm watching a match where a dude got a BBQ skewer through his face and wrestled for five minutes like that.  The announcers are almost too grossed out to call the match.  Good times.  Cornette would shit on Sakuda too.  You know who I'd rather hang out with?  Probably Kenny Omega and/or Sakuda.  We could play Bad Dudes or something.

But which of the two is truly a bad enough dude to rescue President Ronnie from ninjas?

Anyone who wants to take a One Wing Angel from me, sign this waiver and I'll give you one.  

I think wrestling fandom as a whole doesn't understand criticism.  It is easy to just claim everything you don't like is dumb and useless, but that isn't a constructive conversation.  It is like the Cole vs. Gargano match from Saturday night.  Plenty of people are flat out calling it a bad match, which it wasn't.  It may not fit your taste, it may have been overdramatic, it may have been overkill, it could be a lot of things, but it wasn't a bad match.  It was a well-worked match that told a pretty cohesive story, and they held the crowd in the palm of their hand the entire time.  That is good wrestling whether we like it or we don't.  Calling Kenny Omega talentless kind of makes the rest of the conversation about how ridiculous that comment is, rather than what you think is wrong with Omega's work.  It just derails the entire conversation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

There's so much stuff I love that people will shit on.  I'm watching a match where a dude got a BBQ skewer through his face and wrestled for five minutes like that.  The announcers are almost too grossed out to call the match.  Good times.  Cornette would shit on Sakuda too.  You know who I'd rather hang out with?  Probably Kenny Omega and/or Sakuda.  We could play Bad Dudes or something.

Cornette had a fucking mummy that bled sand in SMW.  All this "x is killing the business" shit is a fucking work.

Jim Cornette cut meandering shoot promos during a pro wrestling show. In hindsight, that's a lateral move from Exposed! Pro Wrestling's Greatest Secrets with the stunt granny plant.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

I can, I just don't want to.  Seriously though I could be like the biggest athlete in my personal life.  You presume too much with the nobody here can do it comment.  I bet Craig can One Winged Angel a motherfucker if he wanted.

I mean...I probably could...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Anyone who wants to take a One Wing Angel from me, sign this waiver and I'll give you one.  

I think wrestling fandom as a whole doesn't understand criticism.  It is easy to just claim everything you don't like is dumb and useless, but that isn't a constructive conversation.  It is like the Cole vs. Gargano match from Saturday night.  Plenty of people are flat out calling it a bad match, which it wasn't.  It may not fit your taste, it may have been overdramatic, it may have been overkill, it could be a lot of things, but it wasn't a bad match.  It was a well-worked match that told a pretty cohesive story, and they held the crowd in the palm of their hand the entire time.  That is good wrestling whether we like it or we don't.  Calling Kenny Omega talentless kind of makes the rest of the conversation about how ridiculous that comment is, rather than what you think is wrong with Omega's work.  It just derails the entire conversation.

I would love this alternate universe podcast where a non-carny Jim Cornette takes a Zoloft, thoughtfully analyzes the show, and explains the holes in Omega's game.  But there's a legion of trolls and people who think wrestling hasn't been good since 1986 that demands to be fed.

• Like 2

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

What the fuck? Is this on YouTube?

Jim Mitchell as Daryl Van Horne came up with lewd carny speak (YEEEASHHHTAHINFECSHUN) as he was doing the trick. That's the highlight of that story.

12 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

All this "x is killing the business" shit is a fucking work.

Kenny Omega's cleaner gimmick, is cleaner in the Harvey Keitel in Nikita/Pulp Fiction sense, yeah? Like the Hitman you call when the regular Hitman can't get the job done? Total work. Supposed to be some sort of Super-Assassin, but he spends a good half decade killing the business and it's still not dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I would love this alternate universe podcast where a non-carny Jim Cornette takes a Zoloft, thoughtfully analyzes the show, and explains the holes in Omega's game.  But there's a legion of trolls and people who think wrestling hasn't been good since 1986 that demands to be fed.

Now that's just ridiculous.

We all know it hasn't been good since 1998.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There are moments on the Experience where you do get that from Cornette, btw. He does historical episodes, things like that. He was falling all over himself to put Dustin and MJF over.

Edited by Brian Fowler