DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

24 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

He also whines about comedy wrestlers, but he booked himself in his own promotion to wrestle a dude dressed like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

I know most of Cornette's "angry old man who hates modern wrestling" schtick is a gimmick to keep himself relevant, but how great would it be if he was actually enthusiastic about the same stuff he rails against? Missy Hyatt watches a ton of current wrestling, and tweets about the stuff she likes. Cornette doing the same would be great.

That would be awesome, because when he's just talking wrestling and not in character, you see how knowledgeable and normal he is.  I'd absolutely love to know his real thoughts on Double or Nothing instead of the disingenuous shit he spewed online.  But he's found his niche and, unfortunately, a bunch of marks who hang on his every word, not knowing they're being worked.  Carnies gonna carny. 

• Like 4

My take on Jim is that the stuff he likes is really fucking great even if the stuff he dislikes is still wrestling that I can enjoy. He makes a lot of very valid points in his criticisms even if you disagree with him. Listening to him call MLW, he sounds pretty enthusiastic about the majority of the programming so yeah, it's not like he's a constant gloom and doom parade.

I showed the battle royal since it's on YouTube to a "lapsed" fan. He was not interested at all in most of the comedy guys. He said he wanted to see MJF vs Page though. Was it someone on here who remarked how little comedy there is in the actual WWE matches vs the in ring/back stage segments?

Funniest thing to me about that Iiconics video was that Roman's had what? a 60 day reign and a 70 day reign? I mean you can't blame him for the one (though maybe for the other since it was a wellness violation) but another month and their longest reign will be longer than his. 

I mean the god damn, awesome Glamour Girls only had the belts for 906 days for one reign, so whatever.

Edited by Matt D

It’s funny. 

I had a great couple chats with Jim at the Richmond convention, talking about his Kickstarter book, Silver Age comics, the 86 Crockett Cup, territory wrestling in Indiana and some old Mid South programs. 

No yelling, lots of smiling. 

Not the guy from the podcast.

I just skip the politics and other stuff I don’t like on it. (Not unlike the board ? )

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Aren’t performers supposed to complete a physical before performing? How the fuck does Shane get past those?

Being a part-timer, perhaps? Same way Brock avoids drug tests.

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Last name ; ).

Well apparently Vince is okay with him eventually croaking in his ring. Seriously, him huffing, and puffing after only doing talking segments is just as concerning. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well apparently Vince is okay with eventually croaking in his ring. Seriously, him huffing, and puffing after only doing talking segments is just as concerning. 

It is concerning how blown up Shane gets.

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Anyone who believes that they were mad because it was a bait and switch is the one who's wrong. Literally even the densest five year old mark could see there would not be a clean finish in that match.

People were mad because they didn't get the payoff to the bait and switch they wanted because they decided the UE was going to interfere and they didn't. If you disagree, you are wrong. I am right, I don't care if everyone in the whole world agrees with you, it will just mean that I am the only human being who is right in the whole world. 

I...I thought there was a chance of a clean finish. ?‍♂️ Seriously I thought that with Women’s titles being merged with Becky winning both that they might do the same with the Men’s and have sort of touring Men’s and Women’s champions.  So I think it’s disingenuous to think that because YOU knew what the result was that EVERYONE knew what was going to happen means it’s not a B&S.  It was the very definition of one. 

57 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I showed the battle royal since it's on YouTube to a "lapsed" fan. He was not interested at all in most of the comedy guys. He said he wanted to see MJF vs Page though. Was it someone on here who remarked how little comedy there is in the actual WWE matches vs the in ring/back stage segments?

I just posted that a page back!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, saying Kenny Omega is a marginally more talented Tom McGee wasn't hyperbole at all.  Seriously dude?

Of course he's hyperbolic. Disingenuous doesn't mean hyperbolic. It means insincere. He might be playing it up for dramatic effect, but he clearly doesn't like Omega's wrestling and that isn't an act. Is it really that hard to believe that someone could dislike Kenny's work and not be working an angle?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Of course he's hyperbolic. Disingenuous doesn't mean hyperbolic. It means insincere. He might be playing it up for dramatic effect, but he clearly doesn't like Omega's wrestling and that isn't an act. Is it really that hard to believe that someone could dislike Kenny's work and not be working an angle?

Can you imagine if in 1990 after all that Jim Cornette had accomplished as a manager in multiple territories, there were still cranky old timers that dismissed him "that goof that had a birthday party for his poodle"?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Can you imagine if in 1990 after all that Jim Cornette had accomplished as a manager in multiple territories, there were still cranky old timers that dismissed him "that goof that had a birthday party for his poodle"?

I didn’t realize rings like that existed before Chikara.

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Come on man.

The guy expressed an opinion about a wrestler that nobody with Cornette's level of knowledge would have.  Saying Kenny Omega is only slightly more talented than Tom McGee is like saying the New England Patriots are not much better than your kid's Pop Warner team.  It's a troll statement, and it's absolutely insincere.

Again, check out Meltzer's show from over the weekend.  He knows Cornette, is a longtime friend, and  and even he said it was a bullshit statement designed just for Cornette's audience.

I just realized I'm playing right into Cornette's hands debating some dumb shit he said for the sole purpose of getting  a reaction.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I just want to laugh about Cornette saying the Young Bucks aren't physically imposing.  For one, both guys have gotten bigger in the past few years.  Two, Cornette spent years managing Bobby Eaton, a very average looking dude with a blond mullet, beer belly, and spaghetti arms. 

But keep on working your marks Jim.  Even Meltzer low key called him out for it.

Bobby Eaton being a very average looking dude with a mullet, beer gut and spaghetti arms is exactly why he was physically imposing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

There probably were. They just didn't have the Internet to publicize it. 

Y'all can keep talking about Cornette - I am just excited that Peter Rosenberg said on his podcast that he was told by Michael Cole that the WWE is no longer interested in using him on their shows.

So that gives the WWE a pass for at least a day from me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Y'all can keep talking about Cornette - I am just excited that Peter Rosenberg said on his podcast that he was told by Michael Cole that the WWE is no longer interested in using him on their shows.

So that gives the WWE a pass for at least a day from me.

Until Raw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1