DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

It's a shame we'll never get ROH peak Davey Richards vs NXT peak Johnny Gargano. I can't find the superplex into a suplex over the ropes gif but I imagine that they'd throw in two more suplexes for a two count. 

37 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Who is Davey Richards.

Derek Billington, from the American Pitbullz.

Also, when I typed "NXT Name Davey Richards" into a popular internet search engine, this was the third most recommended video it came up with:

17 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The Rollins/Kofi match was: They made a match that night, didn't hype it up beforehand, and it ended up with a screwed up finish"...kind of a bait and switch- but again, any reasonable fan had to know "Rollins/Kofi is absolutely NOT having a clean finish." It's a bait and switch- but if you didn't call it, that's on you."

Just because you expect someone to be shitty does not excuse being shitty. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

February or March got a soft lock on day two or three, I think.

ETA: There's a whole bunch of micro-agressions going on in the discussion, see if you can find them!

I can't their micro.

56 minutes ago, AxB said:

Derek Billington, from the American Pitbullz.

Also, when I typed "NXT Name Davey Richards" into a popular internet search engine, this was the third most recommended video it came up with:

Never heard of him.

• Haha 2

Reading the results of this week’s Main Event made me want to check out the sad state of EC3 for myself. So I watched a match of his versus Titus from the May 16th episode of Main Event. God damn, does he look visibly upset doing the job on TV. He’s on the biggest stage of his life again, and he looks like a former “WWE superstar” working the undercard at a local indie show.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

If basically anyone in wrestling had said what Cornette said, it would have been brushed off. Because Corny has the nerve to say bad things about Kenny Omega (and Joey Ryan), a certain sect of workers/fandom is being as dramatically salty as they can be about this in an attempt to get him "cancelled" so he won't be able to voice minority opinions about their bad wrestling. It has absolutely nothing to do with sticking up for the community. 

No need for Cornette to worry about being "cancelled" because there'll be a bunch of contrarian weirdos who listen to him as a way of winning the culture war and preserving their right to say whatever they want without getting any pushback. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

???

I got vaguely confused by the Motorhead songs. What will happen is the Queen of Spades will debut on the roster with Ace of Spades by Motorhead as her theme re-done by CFO$ with Queen in place of Ace. THE QUEEN OF SPADES!

Edit: No, not the damn Styx song.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

Cornette is pretty fucking intensely liberal, which seems to be greatly ignored in this discussion. I'm pretty sure he's not anti-LGBTQ, anti-woman, or even fucking ableist but in the context of pro-wrestling he's got a very specific idea of what's right and what's wrong and the latter includes a dude with no legs eliminating other guys from a battle royal. I'm not saying he's right, and I'm not saying he's a saint outside of the business, but I am saying that if anybody thinks him hating Joey Ryan's dick-throw spot means Jim's a homophobe? Yeah you're 100% wrong, and that's coming from a dude that's pretty into dudes being with other dudes. 

Speaking of, I actually felt a minor twinge of pain in my heart when I saw that video with Finn and his girlfriend - not because he's dating a woman, good on him being happy - but I honestly thought he was gay and we'd eventually get an openly gay WWE dude who's already super fucking over and also a total snack. OH WELL.

• Like 5

I'm yet to see anyone actually say the Cornette is homophobic because of the Joey Ryan stuff.

People are (correctly) saying he used a transphobic slur about Sonny Kiss.

I like Cornette. My best optimistic guess is that he isn't aware that it's considered a slur.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For real... Plus seeing Cedric already relegated to the 24/7 title scene is sad.

Did the Viking Raiders do anything the last few weeks?

So googling Sonny Kiss doesn't give me a ton of info besides the current news and a few basic career stats/profiles. What's Sonny's situation? I can't seem to find anything about how he/she/they identify. 

Edited by christopher.annino

29 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Did the Viking Raiders do anything the last few weeks?

According to Cagematch they haven’t wrestled in a month. They were either off TV for the NXT angle, or they are DOA on the main roster.

Well at least they know what’s on the day to day catering menu.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

After watching DoN and last night's TakeOver. Its evident to me that if I was a legit NXT star I'd hold off on signing ing any contract extensions with the WWE. For guys like Ciampa and the UE who will absolutely disappear on the main roster they now have the ability to take their polished television skills and face recognition to AEW and make money & be on the card doing what they want to do.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Just because you expect someone to be shitty does not excuse being shitty. 

Even then, that's still ultimately the problem: This wasn't a shitty move.

If Rollins won clean, Kofi fans would be DEVASTATED that he lost the title in 24 hours to Rollins.

If Kofi won clean, Rollins fans would be DEVASTATED that he lost the title in 24 hours to Kofi.

(Hence, you can't do a clean finish.)

If they had a DQ/countout/time limit draw that wasn't a bait and switch, the fans would be DEVASTATED they didn't get a clean finish. 

(Hence, you can't do a fuck finish that way.) 

If they do a bait and switch finish like this, there's at least a chance fans wouldn't be devastated because "well, it's worse than how this happened", so the bait and switch is the only possible finish that wouldn't make people angry in itself...and thus, the kindest."

And that ties to the problem there: Expecting it to be bad because The Bar interfered and not Undisputed Era isn't even "my parents promised me a pony for Christmas and I only got a bike"...it's "I asked Santa Claus for a pony, so Santa will get it for me. My parents said ponies eat a lot and showed me the amount they'd have to eat compared to their salary...but they're just hiding I got a pony. My parents said that there's no zoning in our area for a pony, but they're hiding that to make the pony a surprise. My cousin works at Walmart and said he saw them buying me a bike...but that's obviously a coverup. There's a horse farm only 40 miles from that Walmart...they clearly were going there to throw him off the trail and make him think I was getting a bike and not a pony. I'm obviously getting a pony for Christmas!",  where it goes past "want" and goes past "I hope for it" and goes straight to "eventually there's a point where you're just delusional." 

(Note: If you wonder why I focus on this and not the Cornette argument- I'm not touching that debate with a 20 foot pole.) 

Edited by SorceressKnight

I was watching some Orange Cassidy stuff last night and I was thinking how bizarre it is that Vince/WWE LOVE “comedy” in terms of promos and interviews but once it comes to ring action, it’s played pretty much straight.  Like you’d have the odd Santino cobra spot or what have you, but the matches are presented as straight up contests.  Like the Usos “prank” the Revival but when they get in their the ring it will be a straight up WWE style regular match.  

I dunno I guess it’s just strange to me that with as much comedy and silliness as there is out there Vince et al. still respect[/i] the wrestling (I guess...) too much to treat the in-ring action as less than serious.  

Edited by caley
  • Thanks 1