DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Isn't Jim Cornette a fetish guy himself? They were talking about Mistress Whiplash and stuff on MLW the other week. Not to mention all the Banana ribs from the 90s.

I mean.. you can interpret the whole story and phrasing involving Cornette and the qualities of ringrats 'trained by Danny Hodge' a few ways too

7 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

No one actually believed that there'd be a definitive finish for that match, did they?

Why would they? Wrestling promoters have been doing bait and switch TV finishes for years. But it still sucks that the biggest company still does this.

1 minute ago, joseph2112 said:

It's somewhat ironic that Corny rails against modern "high spot" wrestling and then bases his entire gimmick on screaming loud nonsense into a microphone. 

He isn't against high spot wrestling, I mean shit he managed the Midnight Express which was mostly high spots. I really wonder what show people are listening to, when they say stuff like this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ace said:

Remember, Canada won't even let Jim Cornette in. That's one of the reasons Impact doesn't employ him now.

That isn't true on any level. Cornette can go to Canada, he chooses not to. He also quit Impact when all that shit with Anthem and Jeff Jarrett was going down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Victator said:

He isn't against high spot wrestling, I mean shit he managed the Midnight Express which was mostly high spots. I really wonder what show people are listening to, when they say stuff like this.

I'll clarify. He's always railing against move spamming or ruining the "reality" of wrestling. But yet he's figured out that his audience loves his to speed hate filled vile against groups of people, to the point that it's not the message, it's the delivery. EXACTLY like the wrestling he rails against. That's what I mean. 

3 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I'll clarify. He's always railing against move spamming or ruining the "reality" of wrestling. But yet he's figured out that his audience loves his to speed hate filled vile against groups of people, to the point that it's not the message, it's the delivery. EXACTLY like the wrestling he rails against. That's what I mean. 

Not really, he always promoted loud mouth managers in OVW and SMW.

Cornette got sour at Heyman for lying (I know shocking) various times, starting with the how the Gangstas left SMW. But they seem to be on good terms. Getting mad at Heyman lying is like being mad at water being wet.

I didn't see DoN, so I'm not exactly rushing to listen to the JCE on it. I know Cornette isn't just blindly negative on new stuff and is probably productive. But unless Cornette does a Juicio Final review, it's about stuff I haven't seen so something is lost about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I didn't see DoN, so I'm not exactly rushing to listen to the JCE on it. I know Cornette isn't just blindly negative on new stuff and is probably productive. But unless Cornette does a Juicio Final review, it's about stuff I haven't seen so something is lost about it.

I usually listen to the Drive-Thru and the Experience at work and tend to enjoy them, more often than not. I didn't finish the DoN review episode. I'm sure he said some positive things about Cody/Dustin but hearing so much negativity, especially from a person who goes into watching with a pretty huge bias against a lot of the performers, just set an awful tone for the day and made work hard to get through so I tapped out for my own mental well-being. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nate said:

This is in no way meant as a joke, b/c it's true, I can appreciate this discussion's synchronicity with Pride Month.

Yeah, I mean, I was at a Pride Celebration when I typed this. 

I'd like to conclude by saying I did look and GLAAD says transvestite is a slur and to not use it. I was not aware but now am and take back my original thoughts. 

At least we didn't get June's thread locked on day 1, proud of us all! The few places left online to have a conversation like this not end in chaos.

• Like 3

February or March got a soft lock on day two or three, I think.

ETA: There's a whole bunch of micro-agressions going on in the discussion, see if you can find them!

Edited by Bustronaut

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Why would they? Wrestling promoters have been doing bait and switch TV finishes for years. But it still sucks that the biggest company still does this.

Again, because there's a world of difference between "bait and switch" as well.

If they advertised a match originally and don't follow through (like, say, if Brock doesn't wrestle on Raw Monday after WWE hyped he's cashing in), that's a pure bait and switch.

The Rollins/Kofi match was: They made a match that night, didn't hype it up beforehand, and it ended up with a screwed up finish"...kind of a bait and switch- but again, any reasonable fan had to know "Rollins/Kofi is absolutely NOT having a clean finish." It's a bait and switch- but if you didn't call it, that's on you."

The Rollins/Kofi match was also weirder because: Most fans would have assumed "Kofi/Rollins will end with a bait and switch finish"...but every fan thought "okay, Undisputed Era's debuting and wrecking this match." That was worse for the bait and switch because it turned to "but...but my fantasy booking said Undisputed Era would wreck this match, not The Bar! My fantasy booking said it and that means WWE PROMISED the Undisputed Era would interfere, and because of that WWE promised and they LIED to us!"...which is a whole different level for bait and switch: WWE never once promised the Undisputed Era would be in the arena, let alone interrupt Rollins/Kofi. There was no reason to assume Undisputed Era would be there except for "but it's the night after Wrestlemania so there MUST be an NXT callup!"- and even that's not a good reason since WWE made so many callups in the first three months of the year anyway.

And yet, people claimed it was still a bait and switch even though it was down to "this isn't a bait and switch, you just didn't get what you wanted."

4 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I'm old enough to remember when McDonald's shakes were actually thick and would have made for a dangerous projectile.

I've been noticing the shakes are kinda watery what's up with that?   I too remember when you'd have to wait for it to melt a little bit to be drinkable. Also,  Sonic shakes are great. Not as good as regular ice cream joints but good for fast food.