DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Look I like Cornette the character. I like when he reminisces about the old days, and I like that he’s a passionate fan. But fuck, he is a real fucking dick, who’s never heard of the term “Contructive Criticism”. I can understand a passionate fan being mouthy, but he’s also a passionate fan who works in this business, and is doing this to his fellow workers. He should’ve figured that shit out after he made it in the business as a teen. The fact that post-Gabe ROH of all places couldn’t work with you, and hated your guts shows you need to calm the fuck down, and look in a fucking mirror.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I will say when Cornette is talking about the old days and burying Jim Herd I’m on board but he also says crazy shit like that Kenny Omega doesn’t respect the business.

21 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Another thing... It says something about Cornette when fucking TNA was willing to work with shitty wrestling writer Vince Russo for several years, and never bothered to call Jim back after getting rid of him.

Vince fucking Russo, people!

At one point, TNA saw Vince Russo as such an asset that they went behind their network's back to stay in the Vince Russo business. So we're definitely not talking about reasonable people on any side of this. 

36 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Another thing... It says something about Cornette when fucking TNA was willing to work with shitty wrestling writer Vince Russo for several years, and never bothered to call Jim back after getting rid of him.

Vince fucking Russo, people!

I'd say it says more about Dixie's judgment than anything about anyone else. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

At one point, TNA saw Vince Russo as such an asset that they went behind their network's back to stay in the Vince Russo business. So we're definitely not talking about reasonable people on any side of this. 

All I’m saying is if crazy people, and sane people can’t work with you, then what does that say about Cornette.

27 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

He called Sonny Kiss a exotico, which is a lucha term. His main complaint was the lack of background the commentary gave for the battle royal participants. He didn't call anyone a slur. 

What would you call this?

“Then here comes Sonny Kiss, who apparently got off his day job at the drag show at the fucking Tropicana,” 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

One's gender and their presentation thereof are completely different things, which are nuanced concepts that most of the world struggles to understand in a binary system where there appears to only be one way to be a man (which Sonny Kiss rejects). And if you want me to explain any of that, well...

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

One's gender and their presentation thereof are completely different things, which are nuanced concepts that most of the world struggles to understand in a binary system where there appears to only be one way to be a man (which Sonny Kiss rejects). And if you want me to explain any of that, well...

giphy.gif

Or shit, you could hear Sonny explain it himself on my podcast (though like most good guests I wasn't there for this super fucking good episode):

To know Sonny is to love Sonny.  Get to know Sonny.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

An observation? ?

It's a flippant remark, and I'm pretty sure thinking that this has been blown out of all proportion doesn't make me Sargon of Akkad.

I mean, this Sonny Kiss fellow, I'm sure he's lovely and all but doesn't he essentially perpetuates the stereotype of the aggressive homosexual who wants to gay you up? Sounds a bit problematic to me.

Fuck it, I'm sitting down with Dave Rubin next week.

Edited by ComingToAmerica

14 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I'm pretty sure Cornette's main objection to Sonny Kiss is that he doesn't look like someone who could win a fight, and he's pretty consistent in making that criticism about people regardless of their gender presentation or whatever.

There's a way to get that point across without asking if Kiss got the night off at the drag show.

It was an embarrassing Jerry Lawler level comment. Cornette then going to the "I have gay friends." defense isn't helping him. If I use the "N word" then say, "I have black friends.", I'm a real piece of shit. If you really care about people you say are friends, why make a comment you know would be hurtful? I'd be pissed as hell if I found out someone I'm friends with were making mental health jokes.

You want to make homophobic, racist, whatever comments in the privacy of your home, that's your choice. If you're a public figure like Cornette and say it in a public forum, then expect backlash. You don't want the backlash? Don't fucking say it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I mean, this Sonny Kiss fellow, I'm sure he's lovely and all but doesn't he essentially perpetuates the stereotype of the aggressive homosexual who wants to gay you up? Sounds a bit problematic to me.

That's Danshoku Dino's gimmick, not Sonny's.  He just used his ass as a weapon.

He doesn't need weapons

His ass is his weapon

Can

Di

Do

Seriously though Rikishi did worse and nobody called him a gay panic gimmick.

Edited by Tromatagon

I think the real problem is that people are judging Sonny's work on one spot without having seen his awesome top rope moves and hard hitting strong style exchanges he's capable of.

You got to see some in LU but more of it was stuck on independent shows without many eyes on it.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2

Using your ass as a weapon isn't necessarily a problem.

What I think is an act of tremendous bad faith (in the Sartrean sense) is performing a wrestling gimmick like Sonny Kiss does and then getting all prissy when some old guy makes a fairly innocuous comment.

Though what's worse is his fiance and Joey Ryan trying to get attention off of it, seemingly forcing his hand.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Why are you embarrassed?

I don't think it's a Jerry Lawler level comment, and I honestly think this is manufactured outrage. As I say, Sonny Kiss does a move where he salaciously moves his ass into his opponents face, I'm really not buying that he has the moral high-ground here.

Let's say it got bigger coverage outside the wrestling bubble, people you know ask "Don't you watch that?", then suddenly you're an inbred, hillbilly with a low IQ that watches that fake stuff because of one person's comment.

Joey Ryan's done well for himself, so much so that WWE wants him. Whether it's just to prevent him from going elsewhere is another matter, but Joey doesn't need Jim Cornette for attention.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

It's a flippant remark, and I'm pretty sure thinking that this has been blown out of all proportion doesn't make me Sargon of Akkad.

Isn't Jim Cornette a fetish guy himself? They were talking about Mistress Whiplash and stuff on MLW the other week. Not to mention all the Banana ribs from the 90s.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Let's say it got bigger coverage outside the wrestling bubble, people you know ask "Don't you watch that?", then suddenly you're an inbred, hillbilly with a low IQ that watches that fake stuff because of one person's comment.

Joey Ryan's done well for himself, so much so that WWE wants him. Whether it's just to prevent him from going elsewhere is another matter, but Joey doesn't need Jim Cornette for attention.

So you're imagining some chain of possible events and acting like they already happened?

Ryan may have had these offers yet's he's staying in the Indys, so carny gonna carny and charge $30 for ppl to touch his dick. Look good luck to the guy, but maybe that's a bit more likely to get bigger coverage outside the wrestling bubble than old man yells at cloud part 28732. Just a thought now.

4 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

But yet's he's staying in the Indys, so carny gotta carny.

Joey knows what's best for him and what he wants. I've said my piece, so I'll bid you adieu. God bless you.

• Like 1