DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

57 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In a similar vein, TNT is hoping AEW to be 95-early 98 WCW and not ECW on TNN with Spike Dudley bleeding buckets and flaming tables to 0.7 ratings.

ECW kind of reminds me of when a music artist passes away early, an untimely death and then their popularity skyrockets and everyone acts like they were down with them the whole time. So,  I guess what I'm saying here is that ECW was big for a glorified indy and it did have fans but a lot of people didn't get into it until it was already dead.  I remember their first One Night Stand PPV doing a huge buyrate.  In fact, I think that's why they ran with the ECW on Syfy idea because they thought they had something there.  The first couple shows did pretty well ratings wise but it was clear early on this wasn't going to be the old ECW.  

I'm not sure if ECW style can be sold to the mainstream.  I understand what TNT wants,  they want good ratings,  they want AEW to be able to compete on WWE's level like WCW used to. 

I'm just not sure if we have evidence that supports an ECW style of show couldn't work.  We do have evidence of WCW and what worked on WCW was a collection of old ideas and some wrinkles thrown in.  WCW stole some ideas from Mexico and other ideas from Japan.  AEW has a lot of people familiar with NJPW,  maybe they can take some of what works there and apply it to an American audience again.  I'm just throwing shit out there,  I have no idea what this TV show is going to look like week to week.  

I'm not sure they know either.  Weekly television is so far removed from just doing one big show a month. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

ECW kind of reminds me of when a music artist passes away early, an untimely death and then their popularity skyrockets and everyone acts like they were down with them the whole time. So,  I guess what I'm saying here is that ECW was big for a glorified indy and it did have fans but a lot of people didn't get into it until it was already dead.  I remember their first One Night Stand PPV doing a huge buyrate.  In fact, I think that's why they ran with the ECW on Syfy idea because they thought they had something there.  The first couple shows did pretty well ratings wise but it was clear early on this wasn't going to be the old ECW.  

I'm not sure if ECW style can be sold to the mainstream.  I understand what TNT wants,  they want good ratings,  they want AEW to be able to compete on WWE's level like WCW used to. 

I'm just not sure if we have evidence that supports an ECW style of show couldn't work.  We do have evidence of WCW and what worked on WCW was a collection of old ideas and some wrinkles thrown in.  WCW stole some ideas from Mexico and other ideas from Japan.  AEW has a lot of people familiar with NJPW,  maybe they can take some of what works there and apply it to an American audience again.  I'm just throwing shit out there,  I have no idea what this TV show is going to look like week to week.  

I'm not sure they know either.  Weekly television is so far removed from just doing one big show a month. 

The company lasted for almost nine years so that can mean several things. You mean 250 things going on with an infinite number of run-ins? A ton of unnecessary juice? Turns for no reason at all? Women bouncing their pecs?  By the time they got on TNN, they didn't have any stars that weren't eventually heading to WWF/E (or a sinking WCW) and/or had already flamed out somewhere else. It was the derivative of a niche product trying to recreate magic that only got them so far in the first place.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

11 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Wrestling is a medium not a genre.  Room for everything.

I'm not sure that I agree. To me live performance, or performance art if you will, is a medium. And wrestling is a specific genre of that medium. Now I don't want to be some Nazi here and say that X and Y is wrestling and that Z is not a wrestling, but I think that there are certain ideas that might be pushing some wrestling shows, or wrestling companies, towards some other genre.

For example, WWE RAW does not really feel like a wrestling show to me, often it looks like some weird version of reality TV.

Edited by Archibald
  • Like 1

70s

Kung Fu Pro Wrestling?

Blaxplotation? 

This is actually harder than you'd think. I was thinking dystopian could be some babyface champ who became a paranoid heel after getting the belt. I don't feel like posting 99 DDP, 2012 CM Punk (w/Heyman) doesn't quite seem to fit. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This is actually harder than you'd think. I was thinking dystopian could be some babyface champ who became a paranoid heel after getting the belt. I don't feel like posting 99 DDP, 2012 CM Punk (w/Heyman) doesn't quite seem to fit. 

Bobby Roode's run as TNA Champion. He entered the title match with it set up for a nice babyface vs babyface classic wrestling match between longtime friends. Turned heel during the match to win the title, and then became obsessed with the belt, neglecting his family and alienating his friends like it was The One Ring or something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Bobby Roode's run as TNA Champion. He entered the title match with it set up for a nice babyface vs babyface classic wrestling match between longtime friends. Turned heel during the match to win the title, and then became obsessed with the belt, neglecting his family and alienating his friends like it was The One Ring or something.

Sure, yeah, go watch some TNA, kids. That sounds dystopian. 

40 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Dystopian wrestling - President Dusty Rhodes

See, that's too on the nose. Bradshaw with a cowboy gimmick is not a pro wrestling western. An angle that centers around family pride and a beloved saddle, on the other hand? Big Bossman in and of himself is not a Pro Wrestling Procedural (though you could argue the Nailz angle was some sort of Police-based Thriller). I'm pretty sure the idea is to find something which has the pattern of those genre trappings. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I'm pretty sure HUSTLE has done all of this and Matt just needs to watch the entire back catalog.

We'll wait for you Matt.  Godspeed.  Give Super Uchuu Power a hug from us.

FTFY

HUSTLE might actually be the answer to Dystopian though, when Takada bought it out for $1 Billion Monster Bucks and left Sakata as the only pure face left.

HUSTLE was just people with more money stealing liberally from DDT in every way they could, but only going 75% as far as DDT would with the weirdness because big money can't be true indy sleaze no matter how hard it tries.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

HUSTLE was just people with more money stealing liberally from DDT in every way they could, but only going 75% as far as DDT would with the weirdness because big money can't be true indy sleaze no matter how hard it tries.

Hustle brought us the Muta family expanding via mist impregnation. I call that more 75% on the weirdness scale. 

Cody is teasing something related to New York City on his Twitter. Meltzer posted something stupid/weird on his Twitter about shots fired in the wrestling war or whatever.

Conveniently enough, if you go to the fourth week of October on Madison Square Garden's website, they're totally booked up except that Wednesday.

• Like 1